adobo

Van Staal Self Service kits

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

8 hours ago, sandworm said:

check out facebook under van staal group they have guys who service and sell them

Will check it out. Thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Dude. Despite what people say its not worth it to self service a vs.  i can pm u a name for service. 
also how does a reel need service if it doesn’t catch fish

I beg to differ Goldy, it may come a time that your VS needs immediate service due to a hot bite going on and leaving it in a shop to be serviced within a week or two is simply not an option. But that's what back up reels are for but not everyone has multiple VS reels lying around. A VS owner should learn to service their own reels, it's not difficult at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Goldy said:

Dude. Despite what people say its not worth it to self service a vs.  i can pm u a name for service. 
also how does a reel need service if it doesn’t catch fish

Will pm you when the time comes. 

 

It takes one to know one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, prican1 said:

I beg to differ Goldy, it may come a time that your VS needs immediate service due to a hot bite going on and leaving it in a shop to be serviced within a week or two is simply not an option. But that's what back up reels are for but not everyone has multiple VS reels lying around. A VS owner should learn to service their own reels, it's not difficult at all. 

I agree. I will say though, Ethan (reel repair guy) at white water outfitters has taken care of my reel many times on the spot. Love that shop. I’ve had nothing but bad experiences at The “authorized van staal service shop”. The guy who works on the reel messed up my reel twice and he’s never there. They also take months to service a reel 

Edited by li_bass_hunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/24/2021 at 1:37 PM, adobo said:

Anyone know if the kits will be available for sale anytime soon? It's been some time now since these were available. Thanks in advance!

Just go down to your local VS dealer and have them order the parts in the kit. That Kit is never to be seen again and we lost it when Zebco owned them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you having a problem with your reel? or do you just want it serviced. Did you remove the side cover now that you have the wrench? if you did was there any water in the reel.

l found every O ring and seal needed for the VS line 10 years ago from regular vendors seals are standard item's same with O rings and quad seals they are not made special for the SV or VR line of reels, l have lost the list of vendors, O ring l found right here in NJ along with the seal.

They can be found with some leg work, it's getting harder as the years go by no one wants to answers the phone anymore like they once did,  Now you have to go to their web site for parts.

 

Take the numbers off the seals and do a google search, you will find that the side cover seal on VS100/150 also is used on a GM trans-shift linkage same part number.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

So as far as servicing, 

For a lightly used non dunked reel when or if should it be serviced?

I feel it's fine and doesn't need anything? How long can it go?

If it ain't broke don't fix it... I have VS reels that I have not serviced in over 2yrs. I always and I mean always rinse off my reels after every outing wether dunked or not. I'll remove the spool and inspect the inside of my rotor for any debris. FYI all my VS reels have gear oil in them, I removed the grease because IMO it does not do a good job of lubricating.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, prican1 said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it... I have VS reels that I have not serviced in over 2yrs. I always and I mean always rinse off my reels after every outing wether dunked or not. I'll remove the spool and inspect the inside of my rotor for any debris. FYI all my VS reels have gear oil in them, I removed the grease because IMO it does not do a good job of lubricating.  

Thanks 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Clbay1971 said:

Just go down to your local VS dealer and have them order the parts in the kit. That Kit is never to be seen again and we lost it when Zebco owned them. 

This is probably the route I will go if I do need the seals. I have the wrench now, so I can at least do some cleaning and maintenance. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, LB said:

Are you having a problem with your reel? or do you just want it serviced. Did you remove the side cover now that you have the wrench? if you did was there any water in the reel.

l found every O ring and seal needed for the VS line 10 years ago from regular vendors seals are standard item's same with O rings and quad seals they are not made special for the SV or VR line of reels, l have lost the list of vendors, O ring l found right here in NJ along with the seal.

They can be found with some leg work, it's getting harder as the years go by no one wants to answers the phone anymore like they once did,  Now you have to go to their web site for parts.

 

Take the numbers off the seals and do a google search, you will find that the side cover seal on VS100/150 also is used on a GM trans-shift linkage same part number.

I never thought of that, I will google and see if I can find the seals someplace else. Thanks.

 

I have opened my reels before to do regular maintenance and no water intrusion in any of them. I was just hoping to get the seals just in case. At this time I don't think I need any of them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, prican1 said:

If it ain't broke don't fix it... I have VS reels that I have not serviced in over 2yrs. I always and I mean always rinse off my reels after every outing wether dunked or not. I'll remove the spool and inspect the inside of my rotor for any debris. FYI all my VS reels have gear oil in them, I removed the grease because IMO it does not do a good job of lubricating.  

I've been using a mix of valvoline red and hydraulic oil and it seems fine for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

14 hours ago, adobo said:

I've been using a mix of valvoline red and hydraulic oil and it seems fine for me. 

That is what l have been for years. Always make sure the shafts and seals have some lubricants on them, the spool shaft, and the main gear shaft that will save your quad and your lip seal.

Edited by LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.