Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Billybob

The Mayflower people

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but they landed in Nov. Not a good month to start off around here.

Bad decision, and half of em died. 

A year later, they were doing better and had Thanksgiving, (they were religious types), with the Indians who were friends before they became enemies.

So, I guess it's good to stop and ponder you're appreciation for the fruits of your labor.

How crappy could it have been where they were that they would hop on a ship to go somewhere with nothing to start over in an environment where half died?

It's crazy.

Happy Thanksgiving- 

Remember....europe had become an overpopulated, heavily polluted shithole by that time and they needed distant lands to go and do the same thing to.

They were fleeing religious persecution? First landed in Ptown but figured in 200 years this will be sodomite land so moved on to Plymouth, then some who weren’t religious took off for what was to become known as Merrymount, because they were so merry, which is in Quincy

1 hour ago, Billybob said:

So, correct me if I'm wrong, but they landed in Nov. Not a good month to start off around here.

Bad decision, and half of em died. 

A year later, they were doing better and had Thanksgiving, (they were religious types), with the Indians who were friends before they became enemies.

So, I guess it's good to stop and ponder you're appreciation for the fruits of your labor.

How crappy could it have been where they were that they would hop on a ship to go somewhere with nothing to start over in an environment where half died?

It's crazy.

Happy Thanksgiving- 

They didn’t have much say over the ETA really 

If you have not already Nathaniel Philbricks book Mayflower I recommend it you might enjoy it 

It’s imbecilic to judge people through a contemporary lens, but I gotta tell you those Pilgrims were very harsh, I guess they had to be, fanatical as well, again,  by today’s standard 

9 mins ago, HopHead said:

I believe each person was allotted 2 gallons of beer per day....I bet it was delicious craft beer.

The moving company that Miles Standish founded really took off in the following years.

11 mins ago, HugeDinghy said:

I’m just glad one of those redskins was so starving that  he tried an oyster. :th:

They must have ate a lot of snails too, tons of snails in the East Bay, and razor clams 

Just now, HugeDinghy said:

I got a portagee in the RI forum to eat bait crabs. 

he said they were good :shrug:

The natives must have eaten anything and everything that crawled and or skittered or swam 

Blech.. 

40 mins ago, capequahog said:

They were fleeing religious persecution?

Sort of.  They originally went to Amsterdam and were afforded all the religious freedom that they wanted.  While they were there, they found their kids both straying from the religion and from their English culture.  That was not the desired outcome. 

So they decided to get out of there and head to the new world where they could start an insular community of the faithful without outside distractions.