Selling fuel oil

Rate this topic

55555s

7 mins ago, jmlandru said:

The buisness of what exactly? Does he buy used refrigerant? It transferred to a commercial of residential storage tank and tax is paid on it as heating oil. I'm not explaining this again but if you sell the remainder of the oil in the tank make sure there are no contaminants. Water in this case is a contaminant. 

if you have a friend or a friend of a friend that uses waste oil for heat maybe it's worth thier while to pump it and haul it off. If you expect retail or even close to retail roll another number and smack yourself in the head. What you have is hazardous waste and if it's an in ground tank I suggest you move at night. And assume a new identity. 

He's in the heating oil business, not sure of the scope....i thought they could talk -  not suggesting a deal, just that there would be some good info for the OP

10 hours ago, 55555s said:

Called 2 oil co's that have delivered to me in the past and they said they can take it back as waste for a fee.  Company doing the gas switch said same, $1 a gallon.  BS.  

Surprised they'd charge for a pump-out. My parents had their NH switched to propane and the fuel company gave them credit for two almost full 275 gallon tanks. 

But, same company provides the propane.

Maybe get two kerosene heaters and supplement the heat until used up. 

Try some large construction companies with heavy machinery. They can run off-road in their equipment and usually have transport tanks 

5 hours ago, FEW3 said:

Maybe get two kerosene heaters and supplement the heat until used up. 

5 hours ago, Wire For Fire said:

Put one them diesel heaters in garage and burn it yourself . They get crazy toasty

Have 2 Duraflames but its extreme overkill to run them and the boiler.  I could hit 95 deg in the house.

going to stop in at a few local smaller construction co's next.

I was in the same position about 9 years ago, we switched to a natural gas boiler, but I had 1500 gallons of fuel oil/diesel in in-ground tanks that my insurance company wanted out pronto.

Ended up selling it to a local farmer (I think he runs about 8000 acres in wheat). He came out several times with a BIG pickup truck that had a tank in the back that he used to fuel his combines. He would fill it, go to his farm where he had fuel tanks, transfer it, then do it again. I have no idea how many trips were involved, but it was a few for sure.

That oil was on the property when we bought the place. I tried calling several fuel oil companies but no one was interested. The farmer offered me 1/3 of whatever fuel was currently selling for and I was happy to take it. He worked his ass off for it, that’s for damn sure.

What was amazing to me was how much difficulty I had getting rid of it. Wheat is king around here, and fuel oil is used like water, but transferring it killed the deal for virtually everyone.

7 hours ago, Otony said:

I was in the same position about 9 years ago, we switched to a natural gas boiler, but I had 1500 gallons of fuel oil/diesel in in-ground tanks that my insurance company wanted out pronto.

Ended up selling it to a local farmer (I think he runs about 8000 acres in wheat). He came out several times with a BIG pickup truck that had a tank in the back that he used to fuel his combines. He would fill it, go to his farm where he had fuel tanks, transfer it, then do it again. I have no idea how many trips were involved, but it was a few for sure.

That oil was on the property when we bought the place. I tried calling several fuel oil companies but no one was interested. The farmer offered me 1/3 of whatever fuel was currently selling for and I was happy to take it. He worked his ass off for it, that’s for damn sure.

What was amazing to me was how much difficulty I had getting rid of it. Wheat is king around here, and fuel oil is used like water, but transferring it killed the deal for virtually everyone.

I dont have too many farms around here, but plenty of small Construction companies.  I am going to make the rounds after the holiday.

4 hours ago, 55555s said:

I dont have too many farms around here, but plenty of small Construction companies.  I am going to make the rounds after the holiday.

That’s a good idea, but don’t limit yourself. Think outside the box for YOUR particular area. 

I was fortunate in that I could afford to take a hit price wise, I got that fuel for free essentially. But try to be open on selling price, because whoever buys it is going to have a lot of work involved moving it.

4 hours ago, Otony said:

That’s a good idea, but don’t limit yourself. Think outside the box for YOUR particular area. 

I was fortunate in that I could afford to take a hit price wise, I got that fuel for free essentially. But try to be open on selling price, because whoever buys it is going to have a lot of work involved moving it.

I dont mind taking a huge hit price wise.  I just dont want to give it away or pay for someone's service to take it.  

I'd settle at a buck a gallon is its going to someone who will use it instead of someone who will flip it.  

I think small cons co's has some potential.