codfish

2021 was the year that Blue Fin Tuna became the new striper

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

19 hours ago, nightfighter said:

Half of those fish appear short to my eye....

Jersey bonus tag allows anglers to kill bass before they're mature.  24-28 inches.

Effective May 15, 2021, the SBBP regulations are as follows:

• One fish per permit at 24" to less than 28"

• May 15, 2021 - December 31, 2021

Please note that the order of fish harvested does not matter.

Need to kill those females before they spawn, after all.

Edited by CWitek

1 hour ago, bananaboat said:

Hey let the small boat guys get a shot at catching a fish like this. I had a bunch of shots but didn’t have the experience to land em. So I booked a spinning outfit trip off Nj and landed a 50 lb class fish which was amazing. Then in late august I went out and  Really didn’t know what I was doing so I hired a local captain in my neck of the woods and we went out and lost a 90 inch plus fish 5 feet from the boat. 2 hrs later pulled in a 72 inch fish. (Seriously) 

This fish really humbled me and my two friends that came with me. To be able to fight such an amazing creature, run after run and land her-to see the beauty of the fish made me really appreciate Mother Nature and the ocean. 
   These fish maybe back next season now that they know there is an abundance of bait around. To go to the other side I really do think there should be better enforcement because there was definitely guys fillet and releasing Giants. Heads washed along the shore where I lived for week. Giants heads. 
  USCG should tighten down a bit. Not saying people shouldn’t target them but people should follow the law and if the fish doesn’t look close let it go. 

tight lines.

A021DEF9-3E4B-4311-92FE-FEE14D2D3CC0.jpeg

159B6882-A2E1-4CF7-923B-7B280944FFBB.jpeg

8BA23EDE-07C1-4982-B0A0-C6300153EA24.jpeg

B6878392-F9C7-4F94-8B7A-A7D3FF40B376.jpeg

IMG_8612.MP4

Thanks for sharing

1 hour ago, codfish said:

Thanks for sharing

There was actually a bit more to the story, the tuna you see the picture next to to the dart shot there is I cut that runs up and down and back up again to the left. This s where the hook came out and re hooked- I stopped reeling for brief second and got yelled at lol- rightfully so. The hook had ripped out and somehow miraculously re hooked himself in the Lee of the line. Amazing. The captain said one in a million shot. I believe it. Happy to have been able to land her and we ate every morsel of the fish nothing going to waste. 

Edited by bananaboat
Details

22 hours ago, CWitek said:

Jersey bonus tag allows anglers to kill bass before they're mature.  24-28 inches.

Is this your opinion or from Knowledge of The Fishery Conservation Methods Since it is The Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission That approves or Rejects any and all Regulations from Maine To Florida The States put forth. 

Since you have NY in your Avatar I assume you are from NY Let's pick that apart :stick: NY has a Commercial Fishery for Striped Bass  SEASON OPEN :eek: By Buying a Tag :eek: Sizes Not Less than 26 or More Than 38, :eek:  Now Brandon HOW do they PRE MEASURE before landing that catch is there any Losses ??? What is the BYCATCH  Allowed?  Are they Killing all those Females before they Spawn:eek:?

Now does The order of fish Netted ----Harvested -----Matter ------Come On Man :idea: 

Fact Most Practice Catch and Release as posted on these NJ Forums. Espeshily the Surfers One Reason they Taste like Crap and contain enough Mercury and PCBs That State Federal Guild Lines, State Children, and Pregnant Women do not Eat Any  ( ZERO ) and Others 4 Meals a Year.  No Restrictions for New Yorkers:howdy:

Edited by Cheeckakoe

6 hours ago, bananaboat said:

There was actually a bit more to the story, the tuna you see the picture next to to the dart shot there is I cut that runs up and down and back up again to the left. This s where the hook came out and re hooked- I stopped reeling for brief second and got yelled at lol- rightfully so. The hook had ripped out and somehow miraculously re hooked himself in the Lee of the line. Amazing. The captain said one in a million shot. I believe it. Happy to have been able to land her and we ate every morsel of the fish nothing going to waste. 

Wow great story thanks for sharing:)

23 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Is this your opinion or from Knowledge of The Fishery Conservation Methods Since it is The Atlantic States Marine Fishery Commission That approves or Rejects any and all Regulations from Maine To Florida The States put forth. 

Since you have NY in your Avatar I assume you are from NY Let's pick that apart :stick: NY has a Commercial Fishery for Striped Bass  SEASON OPEN :eek: By Buying a Tag :eek: Sizes Not Less than 26 or More Than 38, :eek:  Now Brandon HOW do they PRE MEASURE before landing that catch is there any Losses ??? What is the BYCATCH  Allowed?  Are they Killing all those Females before they Spawn:eek:?

Now does The order of fish Netted ----Harvested -----Matter ------Come On Man :idea: 

Fact Most Practice Catch and Release as posted on these NJ Forums. Espeshily the Surfers One Reason they Taste like Crap and contain enough Mercury and PCBs That State Federal Guild Lines, State Children, and Pregnant Women do not Eat Any  ( ZERO ) and Others 4 Meals a Year.  No Restrictions for New Yorkers:howdy:

The last line is an editorial comment.  The rest is fact, most of which was taken directly from the New Jersey fishery regulations page related to the bonus season.

Yes, the ASMFC approved the NJ bonus program--just another reason why a lot of people think that the ASMFC is in need of organic change.

Yes, New York has a commercial season.  But so does New Jersey, except New Jersey has converted its commercial quota into bonus tags.  Given that most bass female bass are mature at 28 inches, and all are mature by around 34, New York's commercial slot does allow some immature females to be killed; at public meetings, I opposed the 26-inch minimum, because it increases the number of immatures taken.  But most of the fish are mature.  On the other hand, New Jersey's commercial quota to target immature fish females--those less than 28 inches long--so that only a minority of the bonus fish taken have had a chance to spawn even once.

Commercial bycatch/discard mortality, by the way, constitutes about 2% of overall striped bass fishing mortality, compared to 42% for recreational harvest.  So pointing fingers at the commercials, who only account for 10% of overall fishing mortality, is probably a poor idea.  Those percentages come from the last benchmark stock assessment http://www.asmfc.org/files/Meetings/2019SpringMeeting/SAW66_AssessmentReport_AtlStripedBassOnly_reduced.pdf and so do represent the best available scientific information.

By the way, I try to stay polite here.  If not, I would have mentioned exactly where you could stick that "Brandon" comment.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:03 AM, CWitek said:

Don't forget regular regs are 28-38" - they kill them after spawning too.

NJ - the kill'em all state.

On 11/27/2021 at 10:03 AM, CWitek said:

Once you enter the WOK Zone with BS and Negativity. And No clue on the Striper fishery of NJ - NY it opens the door for BRANDON.  

On 11/26/2021 at 7:37 AM, bbfish said:

I know supply chains are tight but would be interesting to see how many 30-80w reels sold this year in the area vs other years.  

I said several weeks ago to a friend of mine that was thinking of buying tuna gear to wait as all those 30-80W reels & bent butt rods that were sold over the summer will be up for sale at lower prices on various Fishing websites in the next year or 2

10 hours ago, Skolmann said:

I said several weeks ago to a friend of mine that was thinking of buying tuna gear to wait as all those 30-80W reels & bent butt rods that were sold over the summer will be up for sale at lower prices on various Fishing websites in the next year or 2

:th:

20 hours ago, Skolmann said:

Thats how i've collected most of my gear, I wait until January February and swoop down on the guys liquidating their collection after they get frustrated after one season striking out

Edited by harley48

22 hours ago, harley48 said:

Thats how i've collected most of my gear, I wait until January February and swoop down on the guys liquidating their collection after they get frustrated after one season striking out

:th: