codfish

2021 was the year that Blue Fin Tuna became the new striper

Rate this topic

58 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, ArcticRanger said:

First trip ever we ran my friend's 21ft CC south of the Vineyard toward the claw. Didn't even make it to the area we were targeting when we saw a huge pod of dolphins. Set the trolling gear and immediately doubled up on 50lbers. Didn't even get the spread out again before getting a third. Switched to trolling ron-z's on spinning gear for the lols and caught 5 more then called it a day. We fished south of block several times and the claw a couple more times mostly trolling bars and jigging. Most trips we landed one fish on the troll. Had a couple trips where we got hit, but didn't seal the deal. Had a couple where we didn't get hit at all. Tried giants on Stellwagen once (so boring). In the fall my buddy sold the 21 and bought a Parker 23 cabin. We fished east of Chatham on every possible weather window. Most trips we caught 1-2 fish in the 70lb range. Had a couple days on another friend's boat we got 2-3. One day we got bored of trolling and went to our cod spot, then tuna just started busting all around the boat. I had several days where we were literally surrounded by acres of busting tuna for several hours but just couldn't get hit on spinning gear, very frustrating. Most productive lures for me were green machine bar, widow maker side tracker, and silver ron-z. For my first season doing it, I would say we were very successful.

"Tried giants on Stellwagen once (so boring)":th:

Posted (edited) · Report post

Ahhh beat me to it, 2021 the year the Blue Fin Tuna stocks collapsed too?  That video of the female fisherman was pretty cool, she caught a beast. 

Admittedly I don't know much about tuna. How do they respond to release? I know they do exhaust to death but is their a size that has a decent survival rate after release? 

I find it ridiculous we keep 50# fish that have the potential to growing to 600+ lbs. But if they die after release I get why it would be wasteful to release.

Edited by nfnDrum

This is why this forum is starting to suck.... Everyone **** on everything... 

On 11/24/2021 at 11:23 AM, ArcticRanger said:

First trip ever we ran my friend's 21ft CC south of the Vineyard toward the claw. Didn't even make it to the area we were targeting when we saw a huge pod of dolphins. Set the trolling gear and immediately doubled up on 50lbers. Didn't even get the spread out again before getting a third. Switched to trolling ron-z's on spinning gear for the lols and caught 5 more then called it a day. We fished south of block several times and the claw a couple more times mostly trolling bars and jigging. Most trips we landed one fish on the troll. Had a couple trips where we got hit, but didn't seal the deal. Had a couple where we didn't get hit at all. Tried giants on Stellwagen once (so boring). In the fall my buddy sold the 21 and bought a Parker 23 cabin. We fished east of Chatham on every possible weather window. Most trips we caught 1-2 fish in the 70lb range. Had a couple days on another friend's boat we got 2-3. One day we got bored of trolling and went to our cod spot, then tuna just started busting all around the boat. I had several days where we were literally surrounded by acres of busting tuna for several hours but just couldn't get hit on spinning gear, very frustrating. Most productive lures for me were green machine bar, widow maker side tracker, and silver ron-z. For my first season doing it, I would say we were very successful.

"We fished east of Chatham on every possible weather window." Did you have an issue with tuna eating butterfish only??

The amount of giants coming in close to NJ this year was impressive.  I know some are usually around but enough fish to attract a fleet of 100 boats every day with lots and lots of people hooking up was quite a thing.  Sadly with that also came a lot of 72 and 3/4 fish being reported.  Incredible eyesight these guys have being able to call that quarter inch before throwing the dart.

I know supply chains are tight but would be interesting to see how many 30-80w reels sold this year in the area vs other years.  

On 11/24/2021 at 7:38 PM, nfnDrum said:

Ahhh beat me to it, 2021 the year the Blue Fin Tuna stocks collapsed too?  That video of the female fisherman was pretty cool, she caught a beast. 

Admittedly I don't know much about tuna. How do they respond to release? I know they do exhaust to death but is their a size that has a decent survival rate after release? 

I find it ridiculous we keep 50# fish that have the potential to growing to 600+ lbs. But if they die after release I get why it would be wasteful to release.

ICCAT meeting just ended this week.  This year's stock assessment of western stock bluefin tuna was actually somewhat encouraging.  Not great, but indicates--with significant uncertainty--a slowly increasing population.

Having said that, I left the bluefin off the Rockaways last summer strictly alone, just because I don't like to fish in crowds, particularly the crowds that you get that far west.  But a lot of 200+ bluefin were taken.  Legal fish, and a lot of illegal fish, either taken by people without permits or by people with permits after the relevant size/permit category was closed.  But folks I know caught some decent fish.

Bluefin respond to release well if--just like bass--you fight them hard on adequate gear, release them in the water (as law requires) and revive the ones that need reviving.  The scientists satellite tagging giants off North Carolina use regular sportfishing gear to catch their fish, and the tags demonstrate good survival.

1 hour ago, CWitek said:

ICCAT meeting just ended this week.  This year's stock assessment of western stock bluefin tuna was actually somewhat encouraging.  Not great, but indicates--with significant uncertainty--a slowly increasing population.

Having said that, I left the bluefin off the Rockaways last summer strictly alone, just because I don't like to fish in crowds, particularly the crowds that you get that far west.  But a lot of 200+ bluefin were taken.  Legal fish, and a lot of illegal fish, either taken by people without permits or by people with permits after the relevant size/permit category was closed.  But folks I know caught some decent fish.

Bluefin respond to release well if--just like bass--you fight them hard on adequate gear, release them in the water (as law requires) and revive the ones that need reviving.  The scientists satellite tagging giants off North Carolina use regular sportfishing gear to catch their fish, and the tags demonstrate good survival.

"This year's stock assessment of western stock bluefin tuna was actually somewhat encouraging.  Not great, but indicates--with significant uncertainty--a slowly increasing population.":th: Tim would you consider a tuna forum??

On 11/24/2021 at 7:34 AM, Gotcow? said:

Not if you don't have a boat.

And it's a dumb comparison because the striper fishery is collapsing.

But if you do have a boat or Fish on a Party Boat one would not see any Collapsing. Point Pleasant and Atlantic Highlands boats are slamming them on a regular basis. Photo is Thanksgiving Day On The ??????? and the Southern Boats coming North  Fishing to last Photo :howdy: Neighbor just dropped off some big Stripper Steaks. Thank You 

Does anyone get the location in Background 

65BA3A98-BB08-4E94-89E4-B4228CE2A467.jpeg

258876516_4504712749606269_6122637647653817467_n.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

Just now, Cheeckakoe said:

:howdy: Neighbor just dropped off some big Stripper Steaks. Thank You 

Try to remember what they taste like.

Soon to be a rare treat.

5 hours ago, codfish said:

"We fished east of Chatham on every possible weather window." Did you have an issue with tuna eating butterfish only??

I guess. They sure didn't want a stick bait, ronZ, popper, or any of the jigs we tried. I thought a 3oz white slow pitch would do it, but no dice. We were able to pick fish up on the troll in those conditions, but it wasn't easy. Like trolling around busting fish all day to get hit twice. The fish we kept in that area had a few butterfish in their stomach or nothing at all. We never really cracked the code with spinning gear. I never saw any other boats hooked up on spinning gear either. I eventually bought a hogy protail, but I can't recall if I ever had a good shot with it. 

On 11/24/2021 at 4:00 PM, codfish said:

"Tried giants on Stellwagen once (so boring)":th:

Chunking Jigging is not so Boring it is the Trolling I can not do with I called it Nap Fishing until the Chinese Fire Drill with Mad Dog Catching. And would let others do the WORK Catching 

1 min ago, Gotcow? said:

Try to remember what they taste like.

Soon to be a rare treat.

Not one of my Favorites they Taste of a Hint Of Bunker Rather have a Early season Small Blue Fish 

13 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

But if you do have a boat or Fish on a Party Boat one would not see any Collapsing. Point Pleasant and Atlantic Highlands boats are slamming them on a regular basis. Photo is Thanksgiving Day On The ??????? and the Southern Boats coming North  Fishing to last Photo :howdy: Neighbor just dropped off some big Stripper Steaks. Thank You 

65BA3A98-BB08-4E94-89E4-B4228CE2A467.jpeg

258876516_4504712749606269_6122637647653817467_n.jpg

Can you give me some explanation of what is shown in top photo? It is just a sight that I would not see up in my neck of the woods.....

24 mins ago, nightfighter said:

Can you give me some explanation of what is shown in top photo? It is just a sight that I would not see up in my neck of the woods.....

Taken aboard an Atlantic Highlands Party Boat 11/25/2021 3/4 day trip $80 Plus pool. 2 fish Limit and Bonus tag fish proved by the Boat captain. And this has been the Norm all along the Monmouth County Beach Coast Line Past Months from just out of Casting range to a Short Mile off. Hit and Miss catching in the Surf and a Lot of Complaining by the Surf Crowd. :stick:

Edited by Cheeckakoe