BrianBM

Kastmaster at the 'Chu

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

12 mins ago, frezzy said:

Jerkbaits!  There is no better way to catch Smallies in the spring and fall at the Chu then on Jerkbaits.  Bladebaits (Silver Buddy type baits) also work very well. 

My biggest 'Chu smallie, 5lbs even, was caught on a 1oz kastmaster, pre-spawn. I also know someone up there who caught a 6lb 9oz smallie on a 3/4oz kastmaster during closing week. The biggest smallie I've witnessed someone else catch up there, was with a jig & pig. I've also seen some 4lb+ smallies caught on poppers, post spawn, when the top water bite gets going.

Edited by zak-striper

On 1/12/2022 at 11:57 AM, frezzy said:

I have heard people say the Sudbury has Pike, but there is no record of the state stocking it.  

They stocked Lake Cochituate with pike and tiger muskies supposedly they swam out the stream on the north end and ended up in the Sudbury.

40 mins ago, zak-striper said:

My biggest 'Chu smallie, 5lbs even, was caught on a 1oz kastmaster, pre-spawn. I also know someone up there who caught a 6lb 9oz smallie on a 3/4oz kastmaster during closing week. The biggest smallie I've witnessed someone else catch up there, was with a jig & pig. I've also seen some 4lb+ smallies caught on poppers, post spawn, when the top water bite gets going.

20210418_091004.jpg

20210414_184309.jpg

1 hour ago, littletunnie said:

They stocked Lake Cochituate with pike and tiger muskies supposedly they swam out the stream on the north end and ended up in the Sudbury.

Buddy of mine use to catch them in the river at the outflow.

Hey @Intrepid95, seriously?? Did you think you are the only one who catches smallies with kastmasters? Any lure that catches smallies will catch them at the 'Chu just like they do at Quabbin or any other smallie lake or river.  :howdy:

And I didn't spot burn. 

intrepid.jpg.41a3b85f0a5f6218963cfbf7059d6cf4.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

1 hour ago, zak-striper said:

Hey @Intrepid95, seriously?? Did you think you are the only one who catches smallies with kastmasters? Any lure that catches smallies will catch them at the 'Chu just like they do at Quabbin or any other smallie lake or river.  :howdy:

And I didn't spot burn. 

intrepid.jpg.41a3b85f0a5f6218963cfbf7059d6cf4.jpg

Lol, relax!  I had no idea what you were even talking about because I have literally never "downvoted" anyone on this forum ever, much less something posted by you on a subject I know very little about (I have close to zero experience fishing the Chu but am interested in learning).

Must have fat fingered the button somehow, my bad!

1 min ago, Intrepid95 said:

Lol, relax!  I had no idea what you were even talking about because I have literally never "downvoted" anyone on this forum ever, much less something posted by you on a subject I know very little about (I have close to zero experience fishing the Chu but am interested in learning).

Must have fat fingered the button somehow, my bad!

Just bustin' ya, in case you did. Don't worry about it.  :)

16 hours ago, frezzy said:

Jerkbaits!  There is no better way to catch Smallies in the spring and fall at the Chu then on Jerkbaits.  Bladebaits (Silver Buddy type baits) also work very well.  Sure, you can catch some fish on soft plastics, but I save those for post spawn and summer.  You'll learn quick that casting distance at the Chu is incredibly important and Jerkbaits cast a mile.  Not to mention they are smallmouth killers in clear/cold water.  As are Bladebaits.  Hit me up when the season starts and I can point you in the right direction...    

Do blade baits cast further? I never tried but I assume they would

16 hours ago, frezzy said:

If you're targeting Smallies, April is my favorite month of the year for big fish.  The big females are up shallow.  Got my first 5lb+ fish of 2021 on April 7th last year I believe.    

What is your setup for casting jerkbaits?

17 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

Do blade baits cast further? I never tried but I assume they would

Yes, any decent 1/2oz bladebait willl cast further then even the best casting jerkbaits like a Vision 110.  Blades cast almost as well as a Kastmaster, but is a far better smallmouth bait IMHO.   

Edited by frezzy

16 mins ago, Richard_the_Aughth said:

What is your setup for casting jerkbaits?

4000 size spinning reel (bigger spool for more distance) and a 7'6" rod with a bass fishing action.  I know a lot of guys talk about using longer Salmon rods to get more distance and I have as well, but they suck for bass fishing in my opinion.  Tips are way too soft and noodley to work a bait properly (i.e jerkbait or a spook).  Some guys use "light" surf rods but that takes the fun out of it for me with small freshwater fish.  I use 10-15lb braid to a short 8-10lb flouro leader.  I want the FG connection knot just outside the top guide (more distance) and I cast with a long drop to get the longest flouro leader as possible.  

1 min ago, frezzy said:

4000 size spinning reel (bigger spool for more distance) and a 7'6" rod with a bass fishing action.  I know a lot of guys talk about using longer Salmon rods to get more distance and I have as well, but they suck for bass fishing in my opinion.  Tips are way too soft and noodley to work a bait properly (i.e jerkbait or a spook).  Some guys use "light" surf rods but that takes the fun out of it for me with small freshwater fish.  I use 10-15lb braid to a short 8-10lb flouro leader.  I want the FG connection knot just outside the top guide (more distance) and I cast with a long drop to get the longest flouro leader as possible.  

I agree, light surf rods are too strong for fresh water fish. I bought an inshore rod for the Chu. Got great distance out of it but after catching a 2 ft laker on it its now my togging rod