BrianBM

Kastmaster at the 'Chu

Rate this topic

62 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, golden said:

The res for me was anywhere above the rt 30 dam in southboro, where giant bronzebacks lived ;)

Huge pike,also for a couple years up there I caught some big trout and a salmon at that dam. But the open channels had some incredible pickerel fishing. Brings back great memories.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2022 at 3:32 PM, golden said:

The res for me was anywhere above the rt 30 dam in southboro, where giant bronzebacks lived ;)

I cant figure out the Sudbury.  Nothing but dinky bass and slime darts for me.  Going to try harder this year.

 

The Chu on the other hand I have no problem catching big Smallies on a consistent basis.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/10/2022 at 6:24 PM, sandbars said:

Huge pike,also for a couple years up there I caught some big trout and a salmon at that dam. But the open channels had some incredible pickerel fishing. Brings back great memories.

I have heard people say the Sudbury has Pike, but there is no record of the state stocking it.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, frezzy said:

I cant figure out the Sudbury.  Nothing but dinky bass and slime darts for me.  Going to try harder this year.

 

The Chu on the other hand I have no problem catching big Smallies on a consistent basis.

 

 

How do the fish the Sudbury? I have tried in the past but access is extremely limited. Are you on a kayak?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If your asking about smallies the place is loaded with crayfish either kick over a few rocks for bait or  craw jigs work great. Paths go all around sud res spray on deet and start bushwaching to get into spots.

Edited by sandbars

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Intrepid95 said:

Could just be natives.

No native pike in Ma.

Could be bucket biologists. They used to stock them in Lake Cochituate which isn't too far away.

Or even the Sudbury river. There's natural reproduction in the river. I've caught juvenile pike in my dipnet there. Be easy enough to grab some of those in a bucket. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/12/2022 at 11:49 AM, frezzy said:

I cant figure out the Sudbury.  Nothing but dinky bass and slime darts for me.  Going to try harder this year.

 

The Chu on the other hand I have no problem catching big Smallies on a consistent basis.

 

 

I plan on fishing the Chu regularly this spring. 

Is it usually slow at the opening day time  frame?

When does the action heat up?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 mins ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I plan on fishing the Chu regularly this spring. 

Is it usually slow at the opening day time  frame?

When does the action heat up?

It depends on how cold late winter, early spring was and how recently the rez iced out. The season typically starts on the 1st Saturday of April, unless there is still ice. 

 

Opening weekend is like Bell Rd. or the herring run at the canal during a weekend morning, breaking tide. It'll be packed, unless the weather really sucks. In 2017 there was a nor'easter on opening day so the rez was a ghost town. I got a really nice salmon in the afternoon that day when I fished the last 2, 3 hours of daylight once the storm died down.

 

The bass fishing is good right up to mid May when the smallies hit their spawning beds.

 

To be honest the place fishes well the entire season if you know how to find and fish for your favorite fish. I got my personal best 'Chu rainbow and salmon on a Friday right before the 4th of July. The rainbow was slurpin' beetles off the surface. The salmon was hanging on the thermocline about '25 down.  I know guys who caught 10lb+ lakers there during the dog days of summer. If you know how to find your favorite fish, you can find them through the entire season.

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mikez2 said:

No native pike in Ma.

 

I had thought their native range touched western/central MA, but Google says no.

 

To be fair, maybe not technically "native," but as you pointed out, there are plenty of places where they can occur even though they weren't necessarily stocked, I don't believe they were ever stocked in Assabet/Sudbury rivers,but they can be found pretty consistently there. Probably swam down from A1 or up from the Concord. Wouldn't be that unusual for them to find themselves in other bodies of water in that watershed as well.

Edited by Intrepid95

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

I plan on fishing the Chu regularly this spring. 

Is it usually slow at the opening day time  frame?

When does the action heat up?

If you're targeting Smallies, April is my favorite month of the year for big fish.  The big females are up shallow.  Got my first 5lb+ fish of 2021 on April 7th last year I believe.    

Edited by frezzy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, frezzy said:

If you're targeting Smallies, April is my favorite month of the year for big fish.  The big females are up shallow.  Got my first 5lb+ fish of 2021 on April 7th last year I believe.    

Soft plastics? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

Soft plastics? 

Jerkbaits!  There is no better way to catch Smallies in the spring and fall at the Chu then on Jerkbaits.  Bladebaits (Silver Buddy type baits) also work very well.  Sure, you can catch some fish on soft plastics, but I save those for post spawn and summer.  You'll learn quick that casting distance at the Chu is incredibly important and Jerkbaits cast a mile.  Not to mention they are smallmouth killers in clear/cold water.  As are Bladebaits.  Hit me up when the season starts and I can point you in the right direction...    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, frezzy said:

Jerkbaits!  There is no better way to catch Smallies in the spring and fall at the Chu then on Jerkbaits.  Bladebaits (Silver Buddy type baits) also work very well.  Sure, you can catch some fish on soft plastics, but I save those for post spawn and summer.  You'll learn quick that casting distance at the Chu is incredibly important and Jerkbaits cast a mile.  Not to mention they are smallmouth killers in clear/cold water.  As are Bladebaits.  Hit me up when the season starts and I can point you in the right direction...    

Appreciate it 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.