Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

PSA - Do Not Buy Simms G4 Wading Boots if you fish the ocean

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

23 mins ago, fishless said:

Ok let me restate......they claim its the "highest performing wading boot ever built".  Do you see anywhere where they say its intended for freshwater use as they stated in their response?  Do you seen anywhere that it says the other boot is intended for Saltwater use?  No, it says "highest performing wading boot ever built".  And then it should add the disclaimer FOR FRESHWATER.

And no I do not know of a wading boot that is not sand proof but that's not my point. 

It’s not just for freshwater. It’s for bay beaches, Boulder fields, pebbly beaches etc. 

Salt is not the weakness of those boots. I wrote before, I own the current pair (G3) for 4 years and I only use them in saltwater... I did not loose a single clit and I think they will last for at least another two years..no traces of rust can be found on them..

2 mins ago, levari said:

It’s not just for freshwater. 

Come on Levari stay with us.  Aaron form Simms replied...."the G4 Pro boot was designed for freshwater fishing where your situation with waves and sand is not necessarily a very common one to encounter" .  Go back to page 1 post 1 and read it. 

What you say the boot is good for means little to the buyer.  What the manufacturer and their reps say means a whole lot more.  And again my point here is not about sand getting in or any of that.  I'm saying on the product description it does not say what Aaron stated.  And I think the description should state that.  

I have bought a couple pairs of the G3’s recently went to the shop for a new pair of boots and looked at the G4’s, I wasn’t impressed at all and just thought I would run into trouble with them.  Ended up buying another pair of G3’s.  I am glad I made the choice I did.

2 mins ago, fishless said:

Come on Levari stay with us.  Aaron form Simms replied...."the G4 Pro boot was designed for freshwater fishing where your situation with waves and sand is not necessarily a very common one to encounter" .  Go back to page 1 post 1 and read it. 

What you say the boot is good for means little to the buyer.  What the manufacturer and their reps say means a whole lot more.  And again my point here is not about sand getting in or any of that.  I'm saying on the product description it does not say what Aaron stated.  And I think the description should state that.  

He's saying here is a coupon, now go away and leave us alone. In a nice way of course.    

Just now, hobobob said:

He's saying here is a coupon, now go away and leave us alone. In a nice way of course.    

Yea I kinda got that.  But I do think Goldy may have opened up an internal conversation on their end.  Or maybe they pondered over it for a half a second. 

3 mins ago, fishless said:

Aaron is a customer service his answer does not mean that the boot is not highest performance in the environment I stated. He also suggested to use it in bay beaches (saltwater).  He did not make any references to pebbly beaches or Boulder fields.. So when he wrote freshwater he meant beaches other than Sandy beaches..otherwise he would not suggest to use the boots in bay beaches.

Those boots are kind of heavy so do you expect them to add that fact to their statement as well?

4 mins ago, fishless said:

Yea I kinda got that.  But I do think Goldy may have opened up an internal conversation on their end.  Or maybe they pondered over it for a half a second. 

They'll have to develop an interlocking gaiter for the boots to work in sands. 

32 mins ago, gobigblue said:

re: the claims of sand wearing out stocking feet.  my wader feet are neoprene, i assume youre talking about stocking foot waders where they are breathable all the way down?  my kayak drypants and drysuit are goretex all the way through to the feet.  but i dont worry about sand down there.  i have never owned a pair of stocking foot waders that weren't neoprene in the feet.  and the only time i have ever had an issue with leaking is where the seam of the gravel guard meets the bottom of the waders.

No, neoprene stocking feet.  The grit from the sand will abrade the neoprene and they'll start to develop pinhole leaks.  Even when fishing nowhere near a sandy beach, it's common practice to make sure you don't have dirt/grit on the stockingfoot surface or inside the boots as you're putting them on (for at least as long as I can remember, which pre-dates breathables).

Posted (edited) · Report post

16 mins ago, levari said:

Aaron is a customer service his answer does not mean that the boot is not highest performance in the environment I stated. He also suggested to use it in bay beaches (saltwater).  He did not make any references to pebbly beaches or Boulder fields.. So when he wrote freshwater he meant beaches other than Sandy beaches..otherwise he would not suggest to use the boots in bay beaches.

Those boots are kind of heavy so do you expect them to add that fact to their statement as well?

So now you're interpreting what he meant to say? You can continue to try and create a Levari version of what's going on I'll just keep pointing you to the written response form the company.  The exact words not an interpretative statement.        

Edited by fishless

10 mins ago, hobobob said:

They'll have to develop an interlocking gaiter for the boots to work in sands. 

That's really the bottom line on the sand issue.  I'd just pick up a pair and do my best to make em work.  But for sure I would not let that coupon go to waste either. 

3 mins ago, fishless said:

That's really the bottom line on the sand issue.  I'd just pick up a pair and do my best to make em work.  But for sure I would not let that coupon go to waste either. 

Ask if they could off the discount on a boot foot wader. Their g3 version is really nice. I got it at a clearance of course, still cost a pretty penny. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 mins ago, fishless said:

So now you're interpreting what he meant to say? You can continue to try and create a Levari version of what's going on I'll just keep pointing you to the written response form the company.  The exact words not an interpretative statement.        

Read the details in his answer:

I just finally had a chance to sit down with our repair team and discuss what's going on with your G4 Pro boots, and so I just wanted to follow up. Essentially, the G4 Pro boot was designed for freshwater fishing where your situation with waves and sand is not necessarily a very common one to encounter, and so designing it in a way to keep the sand out wasn't really a concern there.”

All he is talking about is sand and waves. If you just use one word “freshwater” you take it out of context. 
do you want to have a bet that if I send him an email asking him if these boots are highest performance in environment without sands and waves, he will say yes. Bet?

Edited by levari

Just now, levari said:

Read the details in his answer:

I just finally had a chance to sit down with our repair team and discuss what's going on with your G4 Pro boots, and so I just wanted to follow up. Essentially, the G4 Pro boot was designed for freshwater fishing where your situation with waves and sand is not necessarily a very common one to encounter, and so designing it in a way to keep the sand out wasn't really a concern there.”

All he is talking about is sand and waves. If you just use one word “freshwater” you take it out of context. 
do you want to have a bet that if I send him an email asking him if it is highest performance in environment without sands, he will say yes. Bet?

No need to bet, go ahead and ask.  This is all about what I read in the response and what you are saying on here is NOT in his response.  It's your interpretation.  However if Aaron would like to retract and restate the companies potion on what the boot is best used for I will accept that.         

2 hours ago, fishless said:

How is he 100% wrong when clearly their is a conflict in marketing statements.  They advertise the product as best wading boots than in a written response they add, Oh by the way when we say best wading boot we mean best freshwater wading boot for this product. 

Seems misleading too me and therefore the OP is hardly 100% wrong. 

Exactly