Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

PSA - Do Not Buy Simms G4 Wading Boots if you fish the ocean

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

I’m not trolling you and I’m not picking an argument. Sand is going to pour into any wading boot. I use bootfoots for saltwater and stocking foots for freshwater because there’s no stopping sand. The worst thing about sand is not the comfort factor but how it wears pin holes in the stocking foot. 

simms response was 100% appropriate and professional. You are 100% wrong. Sorry

15 mins ago, poopdeck said:

I’m not trolling you and I’m not picking an argument. Sand is going to pour into any wading boot. I use bootfoots for saltwater and stocking foots for freshwater because there’s no stopping sand. The worst thing about sand is not the comfort factor but how it wears pin holes in the stocking foot. 

Simms will be ok without one customer.   They’re one of the most prestigious brands in fishing for a reason. 

I think maybe I’ll order some gear this weekend to make up for em.

i have the G4s, i get a little sand in them but there's no way its coming in from the tongue or around the laces.  sounds like your waders have a ****** gravel guard.  i havent ever owned a pair of wading boots that didnt get some sand in them.  That being said, imo if any amount of sand is that annoying you'll need to buy a pair of bootfoots, because there aint a boot out there thats going to be sand free no matter how much you spend.

1 hour ago, poopdeck said:

How is he 100% wrong when clearly their is a conflict in marketing statements.  They advertise the product as best wading boots than in a written response they add, Oh by the way when we say best wading boot we mean best freshwater wading boot for this product. 

Seems misleading too me and therefore the OP is hardly 100% wrong. 

As @poopdeck mentioned, as annoying and uncomfortable as the sand build-up is, what's worse is that it will ultimately cause the waders to leak as the sand abrades the wader feet.  Last year, shortly after the pandemic started and I wasn't going to visit stores and try boots on, I bought a cheap pair of boots on-line because my old ones were shot, and when they arrived, they were a little more roomy than I wanted (but for $50, I wasn't that concerned).  What I found quickly was that a ton of sand filled in the gap.  So I've been wearing neoprene socks over the waders to take up the space and protect the waders.  Virtually no sand gets in the boot now.  So, one of the contributing factors is likely the space between the wader and boot.  Fill that up with an over-sock of some sort, and you might find it a better solution than switching to bootfoots, if you'd prefer to stick with stockingfoots.

39 mins ago, fishless said:

How is he 100% wrong when clearly their is a conflict in marketing statements.  They advertise the product as best wading boots than in a written response they add, Oh by the way when we say best wading boot we mean best freshwater wading boot for this product. 

I disagree with you. Where do you see the word “best” in their advertisement ?

"The G4 Pro wading boot was engineered from the ground up to be the highest performing wading boot ever built. The perfect combination of durability and agility, the G4 Pro will provide season after season of comfortable, sure-footed wading."

Highest performance does not mean they are the best in every category. In overall they give themselves the rating of highest performance..There are other categories for rating boots. Durability, Comfort, stability, etc. 

Do you know any single company suggesting specifically that any of their wading boots is not sand proof? Do you know any sand proof wading boot ?

Posted (edited) · Report post

51 mins ago, fishless said:

Or he just doesn’t have enough experience to know all wading boots let sand in that can be uncomfortable over time.  All of them, every one of them.  Full stop.   Do you also tell every pizza joint they don’t have the best slice in NYC?

At the very best he’s 99.9% wrong. 

Edited by bbfish

Just now, levari said:

I disagree with you. Where do you see the word “best” in their advertisement ?

"The G4 Pro wading boot was engineered from the ground up to be the highest performing wading boot ever built. The perfect combination of durability and agility, the G4 Pro will provide season after season of comfortable, sure-footed wading."

Highest performance does not mean they are the best in every category. In overall they give themselves the rating of highest performance..There are other categories for rating boots. Durability, Comfort, stability, etc. 

Do you know any single company suggesting specifically that any of their wading boots is not sand proof? Do you know any sand proof wading boot ?

Ok let me restate......they claim its the "highest performing wading boot ever built".  Do you see anywhere where they say its intended for freshwater use as they stated in their response?  Do you seen anywhere that it says the other boot is intended for Saltwater use?  No, it says "highest performing wading boot ever built".  And then it should add the disclaimer FOR FRESHWATER.

And no I do not know of a wading boot that is not sand proof but that's not my point. 

The best advise I got from an old timer is to fill the boot up as much as possible. No empty space means less sand. He wore an thick old cotton socks on the outside of his waders, I thought he was crazy till he took the boots off. 

5 mins ago, bbfish said:

Or he just doesn’t have enough experience to know all wading boots let sand in that can be uncomfortable over time.  All of them, every one of them.  Full stop.   Do you also tell every pizza joint they don’t have the best slice in NYC?

At the very best he’s 99.9% wrong. 

I'm just reading what the company said on the advertising for their product and than what they said in their written response to Goldy.  Here's a silly idea....why don't they just say what they mean from the start. 

re: the claims of sand wearing out stocking feet.  my wader feet are neoprene, i assume youre talking about stocking foot waders where they are breathable all the way down?  my kayak drypants and drysuit are goretex all the way through to the feet.  but i dont worry about sand down there.  i have never owned a pair of stocking foot waders that weren't neoprene in the feet.  and the only time i have ever had an issue with leaking is where the seam of the gravel guard meets the bottom of the waders.