Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

PSA - Do Not Buy Simms G4 Wading Boots if you fish the ocean

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

6 hours ago, levari said:

This is basic not to wear stocking foot waders on sand beaches unless you ok with sand. I own the Simms G3 stocking foot waders and G3 boots for couple of years and both are awesome products for fishing BI and Montauk. When I lived in Jersey I always used boot waders.

it’s ridiculous to expect those boots to be sand proof in the NJ surf.

Yeah, going to have to agree with this.

Just in case you were going to try them next, XtraTufs will also fill up with sand 8-)

Edited by Jason B

I have a few different pairs of wading boots and I’m not sure if any of them have the tongue sealed all the way or past the “curve”. I would have to check.   So sand will always get in. 

I agree. Bootfoots suck in the soft sand.  But I could never keep enough sand out of my stockingfoots. So the benefit was lost after an hour with a giant pile of sand digging into your feet. 

The best were llbean and orvis lace up bootfoots. Now no one makes them anymore. Perfect compromise. Support with cinching up the laces and no sand. 

Not sure why companies stop making stuff sometimes. 

Get a pair of bootfoots if simms has them with the 40% off if they let you. 

4 hours ago, hobobob said:

Pic of my Freestone. Similar hole. 

20211123_220358.jpg.a6bb2c1d4c6b80c19522c072e02ec617.jpg

I have the same boots and noticed that too. The gap is closed when they’re tied tight but there’s not really any functional overlap to “seal” it. I don’t have any major sand issues with them though - I get a little bit but it’s usually not enough to notice, I just see it when I rinse them out afterwards. I’ve never had enough sand in my boot to cause any problems or serious discomfort.

It does seem like a bad design though.. any boot is going to get sand in it, but closing that gap properly would definitely help keep as much out as possible.

5 hours ago, sandworm said:

this is like the Boa twist laces were it gets filled with sand and had to cut the wire laces

No. This isn’t. No sane person would mix boa laces with saltwater and sand. 

1 hour ago, Tyger92 said:

I have the same boots and noticed that too. The gap is closed when they’re tied tight but there’s not really any functional overlap to “seal” it. I don’t have any major sand issues with them though - I get a little bit but it’s usually not enough to notice, I just see it when I rinse them out afterwards. I’ve never had enough sand in my boot to cause any problems or serious discomfort.

It does seem like a bad design though.. any boot is going to get sand in it, but closing that gap properly would definitely help keep as much out as possible.

I could deal with a little sand.  I can’t deal with pound ore more. 

I think people are missing the point here.  The issue is false advertisement in my mind.  Do not say this is the best wader boot on planet earth but there is no disclosure not to use it in salt water beaches. 

as of note my korkers do not have the same issue with quantity of sand. 

Don’t you guys have gravel guards on your waders? I get almost zero sand in my $69 Cabelas standard boots.

11 hours ago, changed said:

I wear Korkers Special Ops. There is no sand protection on these boots, yet I don't find myself drowning because my feet are weighed down by buckets of sand. They seriously cannot be so bad that you can't walk in the water with them?

It's not about being weighed down, it's about the build up of sand in them which makes everything uncomfortable especially when walking long distances. I always use my gravel guards though and wonder if the complaints would be somewhat reduced if those people used waders with that option.

8 hours ago, sandworm said:

this is like the Boa twist laces were it gets filled with sand and had to cut the wire laces

I don't care what anyone says about the BOA system. Yes, I have had to replace mine and I keep laces in the truck along with zip ties so if the problem happens on the water I have a solution to this issue (as you can probably guess I have had to use this trick in the past). With all that said, as I started this comment I will continue to use my BOA systems on the beach, rocks and anywhere else I happen to use waders to fish. I always use gravel guards when on the sand beaches but I do have to admit I mostly find myself in boulder fields or on hard structure so the problem may be much worse, and there for a differing opinion for other people who fish the sand beaches a lot. 

False advertising, maybe sue them?

I have a pair, they’re not the most comfortable boot but they’re very durable. They’ve held up longer than any other boot that I’ve owned. I would never wear them in the salt with fine sand but they’ve seen some time on cutty without issue. 

I dont think I've ever had a wading boot that didnt let in a substantial amount of sand when wading in the surf. It sounds like you're overblowing this, they even knocked 40% off of a new pair for ya.

12 hours ago, Goldy said:

Here is their latest response 

Goldy,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way, and we certainly do not intend to market our products in a misleading manner. I've spoken with my manager regarding your case, passing along this feedback and discussing what options we would have to proceed. There aren't any alterations that can be made to your boots to help keep the sand out, and we are unable to return or refund used boots. We hope yours can still be useful to you for the calmer bay fishing that you spoke about as well as any freshwater fishing that you might encounter, and we'd also be happy to offer a 40% discount toward a pair of our FreeSalt boots to use for your ocean fishing where the sand issue has been a problem for you.

As always, please feel free to give us a call at 888-585-3570 if you'd like to discuss this further, or if you'd like to place an order utilizing the discount toward the FreeSalt boots

absolute worst answers.  300$ what a joke. 

i will never ever buy another simms
product. 

as for the sand. When the sand builds up in the foot its hard to walk. 

I’ve owned simms and korkers over the years and both fill the boot up with sand. Nothing can be done except transitioning to boot foot waders.  I can understand your frustration but a 40% off discount is a good resolution.  Simms makes the best wader and wading boots out there.  

For years I have felt the stocking foot crowd looking down their nose at my choice of boot foot waders. Yes, there is equipment shaming in fishing.... So I feel vindicated reading this thread. L L Bean and Orvis boot foot waders and a pair of Korker boots for warm water/weather wading have been my equipment. 

Pro tip…. ROFL! 

Anyway, wrap the top of the boots tight with a separate set of gravel guards. (Pic below) Most of the “built in” gravel guards on the waders fit very loose over the boot and will allow for the wash to push up under them flooding the boots out with sandy wash water. A tight GG almost eliminates this issue.

Now, if you want a real pair of wet wading/wading boots, look to the Patagonia line built by Danner, I have a pair each of the Foot Tractor and River Salt and nothing on the market compares or are built like them. And yes, they are manufactured in Portland OR. Merica, faq yea!!! Remember, you get what you pay for…..

6066BE03-4BB7-46B8-9014-DFA9E9E5F9E3.jpeg

Posted (edited) · Report post

4 hours ago, Goldy said:

I think people are missing the point here.  The issue is false advertisement in my mind.  Do not say this is the best wader boot on planet earth but there is no disclosure not to use it in salt water beaches. 

I use the G3 for over 10 years in salt water and only replaced them once. In the last three years I mostly fish Boulder fields in an average of three or four times a week. Boot foots are not designed for sand and the offer they gave you for 40% discount towards new boots is too generous.

now, when talking about the best ..

Here is another best..you can sue both for false advertisement ...

CEFB1DF7-5F29-4F62-9056-FFA63016EB22.png

Edited by levari