Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Goldy

PSA - Do Not Buy Simms G4 Wading Boots if you fish the ocean

Rate this topic

109 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So, last year I had a thread Simms G4 vs Korkers and I own both, but I noticed an issue with my Simms G4 boots.  They would fill with sand out front fishing the ocean.  I ended up using the Simms G4 mainly in the Bay in NJ and the Rivers, and would use my korker boots out front. 

The Simms G4 boots have a serious design flaw, (see pictures).  So the tongue of the boot doesn't fully close, exposing a little gap where the sand rushes in when waves break.  I've called Simms and explained the situation to Simms and they were going to talk to the design team.

Here is the troubling response I received back from them.  Mind you, these are 300$ boots.

"

Hi Goldy

I just finally had a chance to sit down with our repair team and discuss what's going on with your G4 Pro boots, and so I just wanted to follow up. Essentially, the G4 Pro boot was designed for freshwater fishing where your situation with waves and sand is not necessarily a very common one to encounter, and so designing it in a way to keep the sand out wasn't really a concern there. That's why when you look at the Freesalt (the boot we talked about that your friend has that is designed specifically for saltwater), you see that space covered much more completely, specifically to keep sand out. So unfortunately, it doesn't really sound like there is much that can be done with that particular boot to keep the sand from washing in. I know this is a frustrating issue and I wish that I had a better answer here for you, but it sounds like that boot just wasn't really designed with that type of use in mind.

If you have any more questions or would like to chat about this further, please feel free to give me a call at 888-585-3570.

Best regards,

Aaron F. | Simms Customer Care
You get one life. Fish It Well.
Simms Customer Care Team
SIMMS FISHING PRODUCTS

"

My response is below.

Aaron,

This is a very disturbing response from a great company.  I just check to SIMMS website and the description reads, "The G4 Pro wading boot was engineered from the ground up to be the highest performing wading boot ever built. The perfect combination of durability and agility, the G4 Pro will provide season after season of comfortable, sure-footed wading."

Nowhere on the G4 page does it state the boot is for Fresh Water only.  These are marketed as the best boots money can buy.  I spent close to 300$ on these boots and they are essentially useless to me.
There has to be something SIMMS can do to help me get past this hurdle.  If it stated on the purchasing then it was my fault, but nothing states anything like this.  This is almost misleading consumers about products.  

Perhaps you can talk to your supervisors regarding this situation and Simms can perhaps make this right so I can use these boots. 

I'm hoping we can come to some sort of resolution.

Thanks

~~~~~

This is very troubling for a good company but just horrible product for a top tier boot.  

I highly recommend you stay away form Simms G4 Wading Boots.  

207B1D5B-BACD-4998-93EB-BA69C6D0569E.jpeg

DC1B2602-3F96-4059-A170-9323210F2D28.jpeg

Edited by Goldy

Not sure of your friend’s experience with the Freesalts, but I have the same issue with those as you did with the G4’s. I just thought that was something that happened with stockingfoot waders and wading boots. Part of my routine is dumping the sand and water out at the car. Perhaps I am not tying them correctly. 

Next year I’m going with bootfoots. 

18 mins ago, chocodove said:

Not sure of your friend’s experience with the Freesalts, but I have the same issue with those as you did with the G4’s. I just thought that was something that happened with stockingfoot waders and wading boots. Part of my routine is dumping the sand and water out at the car. Perhaps I am not tying them correctly. 

Next year I’m going with bootfoots. 

Here is their latest response 

Goldy,

We are sorry to hear that you feel this way, and we certainly do not intend to market our products in a misleading manner. I've spoken with my manager regarding your case, passing along this feedback and discussing what options we would have to proceed. There aren't any alterations that can be made to your boots to help keep the sand out, and we are unable to return or refund used boots. We hope yours can still be useful to you for the calmer bay fishing that you spoke about as well as any freshwater fishing that you might encounter, and we'd also be happy to offer a 40% discount toward a pair of our FreeSalt boots to use for your ocean fishing where the sand issue has been a problem for you.

As always, please feel free to give us a call at 888-585-3570 if you'd like to discuss this further, or if you'd like to place an order utilizing the discount toward the FreeSalt boots

absolute worst answers.  300$ what a joke. 

i will never ever buy another simms
product. 

as for the sand. When the sand builds up in the foot its hard to walk. 

I never owned a stocking foot wader that I liked, when used on a sandy beach. Not one. They all load up with sand, no matter what wading boot you use. Great for jetties, and of course freshwater. Stick with boot foots in the sandy surf.

As for Simms, I never had a to deal with them for warranty issues, but I sure do love their products. A little pricey, but their waders  are the best I have ever owned. 

Wading boots like this aren't designed for saltwater fishing.

I don't even really see what the issue is with sand getting in them? You take them off, rinse them out when you're done, and move on.

Simms makes saltwater boots for a reason. Better yet, get yourself a pair of those scuba booties for $40 and be done with it.

Edited by changed

23 mins ago, changed said:

Wading boots like this aren't designed for saltwater fishing.

I don't even really see what the issue is with sand getting in them? You take them off, rinse them out when you're done, and move on.

Simms makes saltwater boots for a reason. Better yet, get yourself a pair of those scuba booties for $40 and be done with it.

I have a feeling this a troll post. 

you cant walk the beach with mounds if sand in it

8 mins ago, Goldy said:

I have a feeling this a troll post. 

you cant walk the beach with mounds if sand in it

I wear Korkers Special Ops. There is no sand protection on these boots, yet I don't find myself drowning because my feet are weighed down by buckets of sand. They seriously cannot be so bad that you can't walk in the water with them?

Edited by changed

1 hour ago, Tagman said:

I never owned a stocking foot wader that I liked, when used on a sandy beach. Not one. They all load up with sand, no matter what wading boot you use. Great for jetties, and of course freshwater. Stick with boot foots in the sandy surf.

As for Simms, I never had a to deal with them for warranty issues, but I sure do love their products. A little pricey, but their waders  are the best I have ever owned. 

This is basic not to wear stocking foot waders on sand beaches unless you ok with sand. I own the Simms G3 stocking foot waders and G3 boots for couple of years and both are awesome products for fishing BI and Montauk. When I lived in Jersey I always used boot waders.

it’s ridiculous to expect those boots to be sand proof in the NJ surf.

Yeah, no such thing as sand proof wading boots no matter what they say.  I am curious what made their freesalt boots better than others in the sand.

2 hours ago, Tagman said:

Tag-

How long does a good pair of bootfoot waders last in the surf ......especially if you're going no higher than knee high 80% of the time??  Trying to get a feel for a decent pair without breaking the bank......

My Simms boots lasted exactly four trips before one of the soles completely separated from the shoe. Total garbage. I've switched to Orvis and haven't looked back. 

Saturated fine sand can flow like a liquid, especially when agitated by waves..  Under these conditions it will find its way into any stocking foot boot.  Yes, some could be worse than others.  I have gotten a good 10 years of surf and river use out of the predecessor to the korkers greenbacks. I currently have 2 years on a pair of greenbacks and they are still in good shape.  I do wish the heel was a little stiffer.

26 mins ago, hobobob said:

Yeah, no such thing as sand proof wading boots no matter what they say.  I am curious what made their freesalt boots better than others in the sand.

Where the gap you see in the photo they have a rubber flap that looks like a seal. 

41 mins ago, levari said:

This is basic not to wear stocking foot waders on sand beaches unless you ok with sand. I own the Simms G3 stocking foot waders and G3 boots for couple of years and both are awesome products for fishing BI and Montauk. When I lived in Jersey I always used boot waders.

it’s ridiculous to expect those boots to be sand proof in the NJ surf.

I didn’t expect zero sand.  Don’t advertise this as the best wader boot on planet earth. 
korkers don’t have this many problems.