Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

T&T Sextant

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Compared a 9wt to the Maverick this summer at Compleat Angler. Very nice stick & usual superb finish of a T&T rod.  

 

I did like it a bit better than the Maverick but not $500 better. If the difference was $100 i would have gone with the Sextant but went with the Maverick. 

 

Just my .02.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gman1253 said:

Compared a 9wt to the Maverick this summer at Compleat Angler. Very nice stick & usual superb finish of a T&T rod.  

 

I did like it a bit better than the Maverick but not $500 better. If the difference was $100 i would have gone with the Sextant but went with the Maverick. 

 

Just my .02.....

Thanks.

 

I want an 11wt for FL, pulled the trigger on one on black friday. I'm sure it will be fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been considering adding an 11 or 12 wt for Tarpon but my guide likes to use his own equipment. I always bring a 10 wt and use it at times but I feel using his quality gear is probably a better choice for spring migrating Tarpon. T and T makes a very nice product for sure. I have noticed many tournament anglers using them. My guide is very very particular with his leaders and I’m still learning this complex sport. Put a wind knot in the class tippet and he almost had a cow. It was blowing in the 20’s. Don’t want the 150 pounder lost to my knots, yet. I still make my own leaders and practice my knots and test them with a scale. It’s great fun when stuck here wishing instead of fishing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, turkaholic said:

I have been considering adding an 11 or 12 wt for Tarpon but my guide likes to use his own equipment. I always bring a 10 wt and use it at times but I feel using his quality gear is probably a better choice for spring migrating Tarpon. T and T makes a very nice product for sure. I have noticed many tournament anglers using them. My guide is very very particular with his leaders and I’m still learning this complex sport. Put a wind knot in the class tippet and he almost had a cow. It was blowing in the 20’s. Don’t want the 150 pounder lost to my knots, yet. I still make my own leaders and practice my knots and test them with a scale. It’s great fun when stuck here wishing instead of fishing. 

I want my own stuff. I don’t like using other peoples tackle. Plus, I think flyrods are a very personal choice. I’m comfortable that I can cast any rod as long as I am familiar with it. The sextant will be fine, it has more potential than I have ability. My lines should come tomorrow so I while get some lawn casting in and offer an opinion. 
 

The sextant, while nice, may not be the first choice. I do have an 11wt burk on order. This has pretty all been funded by hoarding a crap ton of Bass stuff.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hear you on the bass stuff. I have way to much also. Just having trouble parting with any right now. Having a second rod is a good thing for many reasons. I have not snapped a rod yet, but I’m confident that I will.  The guide I’ve been using has 4 rods rigged differently. All for changing conditions and water depth and water quality. He uses some clear line and some clear tip lines also. He keeps a set up with an intermediate line but most are floating. He has several proven flies tied on at all times.  I pick his brain a lot and probably drive him nuts with all my questions. That’s what he gets paid for.  I’m very interested in his leader formulas and material he uses. When I used my rod for bones with him he didn’t like the orange color on my rio quick shooter. He wanted a natural color. I changed lines and am now using a textured SI amplitude tropical titan. I do like this line way better. I hear you on wanting to use my own stuff. I am working towards that and will get there. I’m a terrible gear head and love buying fishing gear for sure, it’s a problem. At least that’s what my wife claims.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

I hear you on the bass stuff. I have way to much also. Just having trouble parting with any right now. Having a second rod is a good thing for many reasons. I have not snapped a rod yet, but I’m confident that I will.  The guide I’ve been using has 4 rods rigged differently. All for changing conditions and water depth and water quality. He uses some clear line and some clear tip lines also. He keeps a set up with an intermediate line but most are floating. He has several proven flies tied on at all times.  I pick his brain a lot and probably drive him nuts with all my questions. That’s what he gets paid for.  I’m very interested in his leader formulas and material he uses. When I used my rod for bones with him he didn’t like the orange color on my rio quick shooter. He wanted a natural color. I changed lines and am now using a textured SI amplitude tropical titan. I do like this line way better. I hear you on wanting to use my own stuff. I am working towards that and will get there. I’m a terrible gear head and love buying fishing gear for sure, it’s a problem. At least that’s what my wife claims.

It gets easier to move stuff once you start. I've had several purges so far. I still have enough to stock a small shop but what I have left at this point is stuff that (for the most part) are things that I can't see myself moving. Some of that stuff could also bring some decent cash too so there's always that temptation.

 

That's the main reason for the second outfit - rigged a little differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lines still haven't come so I was anxious to give the rod a try. The only line that I have that is close to an 11 or a 12 is a 10wt outbound short @425gr (ain't that some ridiculous crap - 10wt line, that's really a 12wt).

 

Anyways, enough bitchin'. As expected the rod throws very well, I mean very well. Lawn casting isn't worth a lot obviously but I like what it did. The OBS is about right for it. The lines that I did get all have longer heads so it will be interesting to see what I like. Hopefully they arrive today, per usps they're out for delivery now.

 

I do need to build up some hand strength. I'm still dealing with the remnants of some tennis elbow so I am still taking it easy but I do have a gym routine all set once I feel better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My 9 is a cannon and I love it. Paired with a sonar titan int and it was awesome, used for striper this summer and punched through wind like a hot knife through butter. I heard they changed the blank slightly with the 9+ wts to be a little faster, I’m currently looking for a bonefish rod and can’t wait to test out an 8! 
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a T&T 10 weight paired with a Mako 9550 and an 11 weight with a 9600.  They are my go to Tarpon set ups and I really like them.  Hoping to chase some laid up Tarpon in a couple months and put them to the test once again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.