Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Drew C.

T&T Sextant

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Compared a 9wt to the Maverick this summer at Compleat Angler. Very nice stick & usual superb finish of a T&T rod.  

I did like it a bit better than the Maverick but not $500 better. If the difference was $100 i would have gone with the Sextant but went with the Maverick. 

Just my .02.....

1 hour ago, gman1253 said:

Compared a 9wt to the Maverick this summer at Compleat Angler. Very nice stick & usual superb finish of a T&T rod.  

I did like it a bit better than the Maverick but not $500 better. If the difference was $100 i would have gone with the Sextant but went with the Maverick. 

Just my .02.....

Thanks.

I want an 11wt for FL, pulled the trigger on one on black friday. I'm sure it will be fine.

I have been considering adding an 11 or 12 wt for Tarpon but my guide likes to use his own equipment. I always bring a 10 wt and use it at times but I feel using his quality gear is probably a better choice for spring migrating Tarpon. T and T makes a very nice product for sure. I have noticed many tournament anglers using them. My guide is very very particular with his leaders and I’m still learning this complex sport. Put a wind knot in the class tippet and he almost had a cow. It was blowing in the 20’s. Don’t want the 150 pounder lost to my knots, yet. I still make my own leaders and practice my knots and test them with a scale. It’s great fun when stuck here wishing instead of fishing. 

11 hours ago, turkaholic said:

I have been considering adding an 11 or 12 wt for Tarpon but my guide likes to use his own equipment. I always bring a 10 wt and use it at times but I feel using his quality gear is probably a better choice for spring migrating Tarpon. T and T makes a very nice product for sure. I have noticed many tournament anglers using them. My guide is very very particular with his leaders and I’m still learning this complex sport. Put a wind knot in the class tippet and he almost had a cow. It was blowing in the 20’s. Don’t want the 150 pounder lost to my knots, yet. I still make my own leaders and practice my knots and test them with a scale. It’s great fun when stuck here wishing instead of fishing. 

I want my own stuff. I don’t like using other peoples tackle. Plus, I think flyrods are a very personal choice. I’m comfortable that I can cast any rod as long as I am familiar with it. The sextant will be fine, it has more potential than I have ability. My lines should come tomorrow so I while get some lawn casting in and offer an opinion. 

The sextant, while nice, may not be the first choice. I do have an 11wt burk on order. This has pretty all been funded by hoarding a crap ton of Bass stuff.  

I hear you on the bass stuff. I have way to much also. Just having trouble parting with any right now. Having a second rod is a good thing for many reasons. I have not snapped a rod yet, but I’m confident that I will.  The guide I’ve been using has 4 rods rigged differently. All for changing conditions and water depth and water quality. He uses some clear line and some clear tip lines also. He keeps a set up with an intermediate line but most are floating. He has several proven flies tied on at all times.  I pick his brain a lot and probably drive him nuts with all my questions. That’s what he gets paid for.  I’m very interested in his leader formulas and material he uses. When I used my rod for bones with him he didn’t like the orange color on my rio quick shooter. He wanted a natural color. I changed lines and am now using a textured SI amplitude tropical titan. I do like this line way better. I hear you on wanting to use my own stuff. I am working towards that and will get there. I’m a terrible gear head and love buying fishing gear for sure, it’s a problem. At least that’s what my wife claims.

2 hours ago, turkaholic said:

I hear you on the bass stuff. I have way to much also. Just having trouble parting with any right now. Having a second rod is a good thing for many reasons. I have not snapped a rod yet, but I’m confident that I will.  The guide I’ve been using has 4 rods rigged differently. All for changing conditions and water depth and water quality. He uses some clear line and some clear tip lines also. He keeps a set up with an intermediate line but most are floating. He has several proven flies tied on at all times.  I pick his brain a lot and probably drive him nuts with all my questions. That’s what he gets paid for.  I’m very interested in his leader formulas and material he uses. When I used my rod for bones with him he didn’t like the orange color on my rio quick shooter. He wanted a natural color. I changed lines and am now using a textured SI amplitude tropical titan. I do like this line way better. I hear you on wanting to use my own stuff. I am working towards that and will get there. I’m a terrible gear head and love buying fishing gear for sure, it’s a problem. At least that’s what my wife claims.

It gets easier to move stuff once you start. I've had several purges so far. I still have enough to stock a small shop but what I have left at this point is stuff that (for the most part) are things that I can't see myself moving. Some of that stuff could also bring some decent cash too so there's always that temptation.

That's the main reason for the second outfit - rigged a little differently.

My lines still haven't come so I was anxious to give the rod a try. The only line that I have that is close to an 11 or a 12 is a 10wt outbound short @425gr (ain't that some ridiculous crap - 10wt line, that's really a 12wt).

Anyways, enough bitchin'. As expected the rod throws very well, I mean very well. Lawn casting isn't worth a lot obviously but I like what it did. The OBS is about right for it. The lines that I did get all have longer heads so it will be interesting to see what I like. Hopefully they arrive today, per usps they're out for delivery now.

I do need to build up some hand strength. I'm still dealing with the remnants of some tennis elbow so I am still taking it easy but I do have a gym routine all set once I feel better.

My 9 is a cannon and I love it. Paired with a sonar titan int and it was awesome, used for striper this summer and punched through wind like a hot knife through butter. I heard they changed the blank slightly with the 9+ wts to be a little faster, I’m currently looking for a bonefish rod and can’t wait to test out an 8! 

I have a T&T 10 weight paired with a Mako 9550 and an 11 weight with a 9600.  They are my go to Tarpon set ups and I really like them.  Hoping to chase some laid up Tarpon in a couple months and put them to the test once again.