AClarke

Rhode Island Rivers

8 posts in this topic

Anyone have any experience with any small water trout/small mouth fishing in RI?

I want to try and explore Arcadia/wood river area a bit but really have no idea where to start or if its even worth it. 

Obviously looking at the stocked waters I can start there but I was wondering if there was any merit  to hiking in and following some of the smaller streams and offshoots to find some wild or semi wild trout or small mouth.

42 mins ago, RhodyRyan said:

I’ve had good luck catching trout and largemouth in the river on the back side of (redacted) pond.. there’s a couple pockets that produce well for me

Be careful giving locations.  The world now knows to fish the pockets at your pond

Aside from the adventure of trying new waters, you can also stay up-to-date with what RI waters are most recently stocked by visiting the DEM website. Not sure if you previously were aware of this but it can be a good place to start. I don't want to name specific bodies of water but the Arcadia Management Area is a good place to start. DEM stocks majority of these state waters and to my knowledge they were stocked last in October. Be aware of catch & release only areas as well as areas that may be demarcated under specific fly-fishing guidelines - i.e. barbless hooks only for some stretches of river.

6 hours ago, sikcrodbends said:

Aside from the adventure of trying new waters, you can also stay up-to-date with what RI waters are most recently stocked by visiting the DEM website. Not sure if you previously were aware of this but it can be a good place to start. I don't want to name specific bodies of water but the Arcadia Management Area is a good place to start. DEM stocks majority of these state waters and to my knowledge they were stocked last in October. Be aware of catch & release only areas as well as areas that may be demarcated under specific fly-fishing guidelines - i.e. barbless hooks only for some stretches of river.

Ya for sure! I’ve really wanted to try and get out that way for a while but can’t decide on where to start. There’s so much hiking out there I might as well bring a rod and take a walk. 

3 hours ago, AClarke said:

Ya for sure! I’ve really wanted to try and get out that way for a while but can’t decide on where to start. There’s so much hiking out there I might as well bring a rod and take a walk. 

It has a lot of good waters to include some of the ponds; DEM does a good job with stocking and giving anglers ample opportunity to connect with various trout species (even though I have mixed emotions about stocking hatchery fish in with what native populations still exist). Be cognizant that it is hunting season and depending on where you hike you might need blaze orange. I've actually run into duck hunters in the past on a few smaller streams in Arcadia so just be aware.