Bajda22

SALTWATER FLY SET-UP

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, afterhours said:

If you're going to be catching slot and sub slot fish which seem to be usual catch for me and the guys I fish with I'd say 8 or 9 wt. I only break out a 10 wt when using big flies and suspect there are really big bass around.  I do most of my bass fishing with an 8 wt which I find is more enjoyable to cast than a 10 wt. This is only my opinion and experience.

I don’t disagree with this but if I were to be limited to one rod, it would be a 10wt. Wind would be the main reason for that choice. 

It's easy getting caught up in all the opinion and info surrounding rods, lines, weights and what it's all for, when. All important information, but not for a brand new fly angler.

The differences in rod technology, action, flex, weight and other intangibles that effect a rod's price and performance to a new fly caster are all meaningless until you know how to cast effectively enough to benefit from it all.

Find a cheaper outfit that offers the reel and matched line for the rod, take it to a field with some old hookless flies and practice practice practice.  If you dont feel like taking lessons then read a book on casting mechanics and watch instructional videos on technique.  Going into the off season it's a great opportunity to build proper technique, muscle memory and coordination so come spring, you'll be ready to fish somewhat effectively and increase your enjoyment.  

I still take out a rod or two on warm winter days for practice sessions, to try a new line or to keep in-step for spring.  After decades of fishing there's only so many new experiences left, if your new to fly fishing, you just uncovered a new path to enjoy and above all, enjoy the process.

Check out the tfo combos....the axiom2x is a great rod, also sage offeres some entry level American made combos as well.  Good luck.

On 11/24/2021 at 4:19 AM, Bajda22 said:

located in stratford connecticut and specifically looking to target striped bass. the mouth of the housatonic river is in my backyard and wanted to start there next season

i have fly fished in fresh water but would not consider myself a good caster or good fly fisherman lol as far as paying for lessons i wouldnt mind doing that but cant find a person around my area that provides that service. 

go with a 9 weight for the mouth of the Housy. Use a stripping basket to help you handle the line & the surf. A 10 would probably be better there but it will be harder to learn on. 

Can't stress enough that need to take lessons as the salt is a totally different game than trout fishing. Being waist deep & handling the wind is not easy if your casting is crappy. 

Call Compleat Angler in Darien, ask for Scotty or Pat... they can give you solid advice.

As far as outfits -- a Scott Tidal will run you around $475 + tax. So you can see it's not a cheap hobby.

Best cheap outfit would be a Colton Tradewinds XS in a 9 with a Colton CRGII reel. Call Bob Filer at Colton Fly -- tell him Manny recommended you to him.  The CRGII is not sealed but I have like 5 or 6 of them and have dunked them a zillion times (like our National debt) and all I do is wash them after each outing & just coat them with a bit of oil once or twice a year.

May want to use a clear sink tip fly line vs. floating.

Edited by gman1253

Penn just came out with a fly rod line in the Battle line up. I think the combo retails for $250 and might be worth starting with if you're not sure this will be something you stick with.

There is a charter captain Ian Devlin who is from your area and does fly casting lessons throughout the year. Might even be able to get some lessons and some fishing in with the winter Housy fishing available to you.

You can find Ian by Face Book searching for him.

Edited by FTW401

For me a 9 foot 9 weight is my all around favorite salt water rod 

for years I fished a 9 weight loomis but just picked up a Scott Sector 9 weight and I’m loving it 

my 12 and 10 weights have been left on the rack and I’ve jumped on the 9 and 11 weight band wagon 

paired the 9 weight sector to a 10 11 nautilus and a edge 11 weight to my Tibor Gulfstream for big stuff 

I see your set on a 10w but like most of the people on this thread I’d recommend a 8 or 9w for where your fishing. Redington has some 8/9w’s in the 200 range new. I honestly buy most of my rods used. You find good deals on high quality rods a few hundred under retail with a little searching. I’d recommend looking at sage if you do find a used one in the weight you like. Good warranty program from my experience with second-hand purchases. With reels, I would look for something with a sealed drag system for sure. They are pricy but saltwater and a little sand can trash a lower end unsealed reel quick.

14 hours ago, FTW401 said:

Penn just came out with a fly rod line in the Battle line up. I think the combo retails for $250 and might be worth starting with if you're not sure this will be something you stick with.

There is a charter captain Ian Devlin who is from your area and does fly casting lessons throughout the year. Might even be able to get some lessons and some fishing in with the winter Housy fishing available to you.

You can find Ian by Face Book searching for him.

thanks man will check him out

1 hour ago, Bajda22 said:

thanks man will check him out

The Complete Angler fly shop has him in the building doing fly tying a couple times a month it seems like btw, they should also be able to get you his number directly if you were to call or stop in.