Bajda22

SALTWATER FLY SET-UP

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

hey guys and girls was wondering if anyone can recommend a salt watery fly set-up that affordable? the most im looking to spend on a set is between $300.00-$400.00

thanks in advance for the replies

Better to suggest the type of outfit. 10 wt rod good for stripers and blues from shore. Medium fast rod not very fast because your learning. You can't get a top line very fast rod anyway for less than 500. Anodized reel that will hold 200 yards 30 lb backing. Quality 10 wt floating line wf I like scientific anglers mastery. If you want to buy a cheapy 10 wt line for practice lawn casting I recommend it. Find a mentor to help with the casting and fly selection . Stick to back waters little or no wind. Don't go out front until you can cast 80 ft effectively or you will get frustrated and quit. Also invest or make stripping basket. Look at 2 years of working to become responsibly good. 

I am also interested in the saltwater fly game. Got my feet wet with freshwater last winter a little bit here on LI. It was fun when it wasn't 20 degrees lol. There arent many places local that support the game. Ill be following the post!

8wt is a nice all-round rod weight and i would peruse/cruise the BST forum for a nice used outfit.  my first surf fly fishing outfit was a 9' sage rplx 9wt with a valentine reel that served me extremely well and i caught my personal fly fishing best 42" bass on it.  one of my sons-in-law now uses it.

Orvis rod or a used one would be way to go- 10 weight to start- find a decent used reel and get new WF Intermitted line to start would be my recommendation. Then just go fish and start to figure out what works for you.  

Another suggestion. Do you have freshwater fly fishing experience because if not then I strongly suggest you don't start with a 10 wt. An 8wt will be much more user friendly as you learn.

I started with a 9WT with intermediate line.  It will help tremendously if you have someone that knows what they are doing get you started.  If you start casting and develop bad casting habits they will be more difficult to break later on.  It is a blast and you will probably get addicted to fly fishing like so many of on this site.  Nothing better than tricking a nice striper on a fly rod with a fly that you tied  

Bajda22, do you already know how to cast a fly rod? If not, buy cheap and spend the money on a couple of lessons. Leave fly tying for later, IF you find you like fly fishing.

Lessons at a local fly store will greatly shorten the learning curve.

I agree that you should stay in quiet water, back bay or otherwise, until you can cast. The neat thing about fly fishing is that while the learning curve is long, it's shallow.

Never mind 80 foot casts. You can catch fish at much shorter distances; I do, when I can cast at all (arthritis.)

Where are you? What are you looking to catch?

5 hours ago, BrianBM said:

Bajda22, do you already know how to cast a fly rod? If not, buy cheap and spend the money on a couple of lessons. Leave fly tying for later, IF you find you like fly fishing.

Lessons at a local fly store will greatly shorten the learning curve.

I agree that you should stay in quiet water, back bay or otherwise, until you can cast. The neat thing about fly fishing is that while the learning curve is long, it's shallow.

Never mind 80 foot casts. You can catch fish at much shorter distances; I do, when I can cast at all (arthritis.)

Where are you? What are you looking to catch?

located in stratford connecticut and specifically looking to target striped bass. the mouth of the housatonic river is in my backyard and wanted to start there next season

i have fly fished in fresh water but would not consider myself a good caster or good fly fisherman lol as far as paying for lessons i wouldnt mind doing that but cant find a person around my area that provides that service. 

Is there a lot of current and is there some depth where you fish? Whether to use a floating line, intermediate line or fast sink tip line depends on the conditions and environment of the area you're fishing, more so than the species.

I often fish the mouth of the merrimac river here in MA and would never think of going there with anything but a fast sinking integrated shooting head...but then I also fish shallow saltwater ponds during worm hatches and wouldn't think of going with anything other than a floating line. 

As always many different view points. Not wanting to upset anyone but an 8 wt rod a real 8 wt not a 10 in disguise is not a great general purpose rod for the salt from the shore. Back bay out of the wind sure but wind is always something that is the bug  bear of us fly fishers. It is also your friend to especially when it’s in your face but not at the start.  
I have said this many times on SOL no reasonably able man or woman for that matter will be ground into the dust by casting a properly rated 10 wt fly rod.

It is no more difficult to learn on than a lighter rod. In fact there are a few reasons why it is way better to learn on a 10 wt. But time tonight stops me from  giving them.

Gear is one part of the equation learning how to cast it is the most important but is largely ignored by a great many of us me included until about 18 months ago. No matter how much you pay for your gear it won’t by itself help you to cast. Lessons from pro teachers will set you up for life and you have the opportunity casting wise at least to be ahead of the game very quickly.

It is so fundamental we have to get our fly to the fish. All the other knowledge is worth Jack if we can’t do that well.
If you are serious about this you can become very good very quickly. 
Sure it’s tougher than spinning in the casting department and dealing with wind and surf but that is part of its magical appeal. Who the hell wants easy.

Lets embrace and enjoy the challenge.

Glad that you wish to engage.

Mikey

A true 10wt (as Mike said) would be the best all around rod for the NE. It’ll will handle pretty much any fish and conditions that you could encounter. 

I would really recommend test casting anything you may get. 

If you're going to be catching slot and sub slot fish which seem to be usual catch for me and the guys I fish with I'd say 8 or 9 wt. I only break out a 10 wt when using big flies and suspect there are really big bass around.  I do most of my bass fishing with an 8 wt which I find is more enjoyable to cast than a 10 wt. This is only my opinion and experience.