RAW

Steelhead fly fishing NY

22 posts in this topic

I was fly fishing on the Salmon River from 10/31-11/9. We worked hard for every steelhead we hooked. The drift boats fishing sacks were struggling. November is not what it used to be.  I have been going since 1985. One thing to remember is that the Salmon River steelhead are a winter run strain. Some enter in November, more in Dec, January and February then spawn.  For numbers the later you go the more fish you have. 
This season is off to a poor start, let’s hope that turns around. 

Water levels for drawing fish in this year have been excellent so that is not the reason for the low numbers of steelhead. It is still worth the ride. One fish like you are holding in your avatar says it all. 

Caught my first steelhead Christmas Eve in snow that lasted all day   went up there more than 10 years in a row.  Got run over at the Swap Shop by cornbread and collardgreen.  Someone sent a kite to a table I frequented.  Pile of clothes,expensive one with no labels on them.  Note inside the pile not a wrinkle on it.  Gave it to the owners of the table, thinking it was for them.  Got mowed down in a very odd accident at 40-50mph.  Back can't take that cold right now.  Best to go if you have the chance.

Even when slow it’s still amazing. Some guys go years without hooking a steelhead, then maybe, then a few on and off, Watch and learn the ultra minute little that guys who are getting fish “Legally “ are doing, understand  a seam, a holding rifle. Pick spots that are less than 20’ away. Any movement in your line is bad, Get your mends and stacks done before the seam your fishing. Match the water speed !

I recommend a guide.  Cut down the learning curve exponentially.  Do it at the beginning of the trip.  Learn technique and how to get in and out of spots.  Very affordable in NE financial terms for many.  Best fishing experience I've ever had.