RAW

Steelhead fly fishing NY

22 posts in this topic

Has anyone been up this year, Reading reports from the various sources still saying slow and low numbers of fresh steelhead even with all the high water flows. Sons were up 10 days ago and not worth the trip. They also noted the few salmon versus other years?(egg source for trout species). This has been a decline going on 8 years or more. I don’t do the petting zoo:rav:

I was there the beginning of the month and it was dead. Not many fish around. I heard it was the worst salmon run in ten years. Could be why not many steelhead entering the river. Could also be the impact of less stocking numbers over the last few years. I was there 4 days and bounced around to many different spots on the river and nearby creeks. Only saw two fish hooked up the entire trip. Both from drift boats.

9 mins ago, cec127 said:

I was there the beginning of the month and it was dead. Not many fish around. I heard it was the worst salmon run in ten years. Could be why not many steelhead entering the river. Could also be the impact of less stocking numbers over the last few years. I was there 4 days and bounced around to many different spots on the river and nearby creeks. Only saw two fish hooked up the entire trip. Both from drift boats.

That’s what most are saying. I called hatchery to talk with management and got no replies. The fishery in the Western basin has been good to decent. There has been no recovery since the major steelhead kill off about 8-9 years ago, yet you have guides still posting pics from 15 years ago. I see no attempt to increase salmon and steelhead stocking. We will probably hear it’s covid!!! And will continue to say it for the next 10 years, The motels, restaurants, marinas are dying? :rav:

2 hours ago, RAW said:

That’s what most are saying. I called hatchery to talk with management and got no replies. The fishery in the Western basin has been good to decent. There has been no recovery since the major steelhead kill off about 8-9 years ago, yet you have guides still posting pics from 15 years ago. I see no attempt to increase salmon and steelhead stocking. We will probably hear it’s covid!!! And will continue to say it for the next 10 years, The motels, restaurants, marinas are dying? :rav:

The DEC just sent out something about an upcoming Lake Ontario fishery meeting to be held on line.  I'd print it here, but deleted it earlier as I don't fish the lake very often.

I do know that forage fish numbers, particularly alewives, have been down in recent years, so the DEC is stocking fewer salmon--not sure about steelhead--in response to the declining food supply.

36 mins ago, CWitek said:

The DEC just sent out something about an upcoming Lake Ontario fishery meeting to be held on line.  I'd print it here, but deleted it earlier as I don't fish the lake very often.

I do know that forage fish numbers, particularly alewives, have been down in recent years, so the DEC is stocking fewer salmon--not sure about steelhead--in response to the declining food supply.

Thanks for that, If you the link I would like it. As we know if less and less salmon there will be less steelhead returning here. Wondering if this is just regional as the western end from Sodus west seems fine. Appreciate your imput:rav:

52 mins ago, Redneck Tourist said:

What is "the petting zoo"?

Fly zone, been called that 25 years too many chuck and duckers :rav:

23 hours ago, CWitek said:

I also heard the same.  As a result of the alewives situation in the lake there are less salmon and steelhead stockings.  They are trying to control the impact to the bait forage so it doesn’t throw the whole ecosystem out of tilt.  

I was up for 5 days and only landed 2 fish last week.  It was a bit brutal.  I even scoped out some of the smaller tributaries with no luck although I’ve heard the small tribs have been fishing well.  

6 hours ago, RAW said:

Fly zone, been called that 25 years too many chuck and duckers :rav:

Oh ok. Never been up there so was just curious. I tried to fish the Cattaraugas for the 1st time last year but it was blown out when I got there. Another fisherman I was talking to in Erie a few weeks ago told me that with my fishing style he thinks I would do very well on the Catt, so has me thinking about giving it another try sometime.

Salmon is a good fly fishing river for steelhead, Used to be November was very good, last couple of years it’s Dec. water temp best at under 40, snow on the ground means less guys, There are less guys now, but also less fish. There’s few places with the size steelhead of the SR. The best trips sometimes are just learning experiences, There many parts of the river where you can be pretty much alone. The fly zone in holds the most fish, but sometimes not pretty. :rav:

2 hours ago, RAW said:

Salmon is a good fly fishing river for steelhead, Used to be November was very good, last couple of years it’s Dec. water temp best at under 40, snow on the ground means less guys, There are less guys now, but also less fish. There’s few places with the size steelhead of the SR. The best trips sometimes are just learning experiences, There many parts of the river where you can be pretty much alone. The fly zone in holds the most fish, but sometimes not pretty. :rav:

Don't know that I would agree with much that's been posted in this thread based on personal experience. Been up a couple of times for salmon and did well. I thought last years run was the biggest I have seen, maybe because the river was at 350 and you could see the fish. Maybe we just hit good days. Maybe we just hit good days again this year. I think the steelhead has come back a bit from the big kill off. Its still not back to where it was. November is always a crap shoot with high water and leaves. This past week its been over 1500 with temperature swings so its going to be tough sledding. Im headed week before Christmas so will see. Its a great week to be able to move around and not hole up in the fly zone.

Great, too many are afraid of January cold, but steelhead are searching for food. From stone flies to dormant eggs. It’s eerie quite:rav:

44 mins ago, RAW said:

Great, too many are afraid of January cold, but steelhead are searching for food. From stone flies to dormant eggs. It’s eerie quite:rav:

Ive been up there in blizzard condition in the river ;). hardcore angler here :kook:     :laugh::laugh:

On 11/23/2021 at 0:26 PM, RAW said:

Thanks for that, If you the link I would like it. As we know if less and less salmon there will be less steelhead returning here. Wondering if this is just regional as the western end from Sodus west seems fine. Appreciate your imput:rav:

Here you go

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/124216.html