Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
KrocFoot

Glove recommendations anyone?

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

Dont know if it's from getting older and poor circulation, but my hands are just frozen on these evening sessions. I've been using glacier gloves with hot hands in the palm and their ok but there's  gotta be something better. 

Please let me know if you've found that perfect glove.

Thanks

Krocfoot

Also curious. Went out tonight and actually saw action, but my hands couldn’t deal with staying out. I’ve gotten cold injuries from other outdoor activities over the years so not sure if my hands are just too messed up now. 

Tip I haven’t tried yet is to put hot hands packs at the inside wrist area by the blood flow. (Wrist cuff on coat keeps them in place- in theory.)

Neoprene gloves are worthless for me. Counterproductive in fact. They cut off circulation or something other negative effect but either way they make my fingers cold. 

I like 2-3 pairs of thin to medium weight gloves. Keep one pair on and one or two pairs inside your wader bib. Water resistant sometimes and sometimes not. Mechanic gloves are great. Some pairs with the fingers cut off. Some regular.

I also have one pair of hunting mittens with the retractable mitten part. I use these first when it’s really cold. 

Rotate often. They’ll warm up & dry out inside your waders. 

I also will use medical gloves just to keep my hands dry. In combination with the above or on their own. 

If it’s really really cold, I will sometimes cut open a hot hands pack & sprinkle the crumble stuff inside an oversized pair of garden or dish gloves. 

Good luck. Bring options & see what you like best.

Keep your core warm and it will keep your extremities warm. 

5 hours ago, EricDice said:

Tip I haven’t tried yet is to put hot hands packs at the inside wrist area by the blood flow. (Wrist cuff on coat keeps them in place- in theory.)

Neoprene gloves are worthless for me. Counterproductive in fact. They cut off circulation or something other negative effect but either way they make my fingers cold. 

I like 2-3 pairs of thin to medium weight gloves. Keep one pair on and one or two pairs inside your wader bib. Water resistant sometimes and sometimes not. Mechanic gloves are great. Some pairs with the fingers cut off. Some regular.

I also have one pair of hunting mittens with the retractable mitten part. I use these first when it’s really cold. 

Rotate often. They’ll warm up & dry out inside your waders. 

I also will use medical gloves just to keep my hands dry. In combination with the above or on their own. 

If it’s really really cold, I will sometimes cut open a hot hands pack & sprinkle the crumble stuff inside an oversized pair of garden or dish gloves. 

Good luck. Bring options & see what you like best.

Keep your core warm and it will keep your extremities warm. 

Sometimes it does seem I have to take my gloves off to warm my hands. I'm gonna try the rubber glove underneath Thanks for the tip

4 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Look into Fish Monkey gloves. Pretty decent and you can still cast depending what version you get. They have the reinforced casting finger as well.

Ill give them a shot. Like the idea of a reinforced finger. 

2 hours ago, KrocFoot said:

Sometimes it does seem I have to take my gloves off to warm my hands. I'm gonna try the rubber glove underneath Thanks for the tip

avoid tight fitting gloves & I don’t use neoprene. 

you can tape over the casting finger if needed. 

I’m also planning to add wool to the arsenal but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Probably fingerless. 

47 mins ago, EricDice said:

I’m also planning to add wool to the arsenal but I haven’t gotten around to it yet. Probably fingerless. 

Wool keeps em warm but a nightmare when you reach into your plug back and snag a treble.

11 mins ago, bbfish said:

Wool keeps em warm but a nightmare when you reach into your plug back and snag a treble.

Plug handling and wool dont mix. Theyre like velcro. Gloves are a PITA and i hold off wearing them as long as possible. When i do wear them, i think 2 thin loose fitting gloves are better than one thicker glove. 

Your hands can be warm, dry, or have dexterity when it comes to gloves. I've researched on here forever and it seems impossible to get all three. I just use wool and put hockey tape around the fingers for casting but I have to take the gloves off when dealing with the hooks which is a pain unless it's a single hook. Keeps my hands mostly warm though so I'll stick with it.

Edited by hurricane1091

glacier gloves keep the moisture in. I always use a liner glove. Go to any box store and get some thin childrens/ladies gloves that fit.When its real cold Ill put warmers between the gloves.

1 hour ago, KrocFoot said:

Huh..good point. Never considered that.

I'm a big fan of wool gloves.  You just need to take em off to switch plugs but if you switch plugs quickly you should be good. Even better if the 1st plug you put on is working than you don't have to worry about anything.