z-man

Dewalt 20V Circular Saws?

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

I’m looking to get a cordless circular saw. There’s a bunch of different Dewalt 20V options in 3 different blade sizes. What have you guys used and what would you recommend for cutting plywood and PT 2 by’s. 

I've got a Dewalt 7 1/4" cordless circular saw that is probably 5 years old. Works adequately for plywood and kd 2 x 4's, but it is underpowered for PT. It will cut PT, but certainly struggles on 2 x 8's and larger stock. If the PT is good and wet, I don't even bother trying with the Dewalt cordless. That said the newer ones may work better / have more power than the one I have. The 7 1/4" with flexvolt advantage looks like it might fit the bill, but at close to $400.00 with battery (1) and charger, I'd certainly read some reviews and talk to a rep if possible. If I hadn't recently upgraded from the the Dewalt cordless I'd definitely give that newer Dewalt serious consideration. 

Edited by Chunkah
Spelling is important

16 mins ago, Bwstriper44 said:

I second this. The new Milwaukee’s are a fantastic cordless tool set. Pricey but worth it. In my opinion 

I got it a few years ago. The cordless blower is the bomb. I should have got it sooner.  It makes cleaning the inside of my work trailer a breeze. 

Edited by gray gables

On 11/27/2021 at 7:40 AM, poopdeck said:

Some battery powered tools just are not worth it. For circular saws I prefer corded.  Battery ones just seem like something my son in law would buy. 

My Milwaukee 7.25 corded is over 30 years old, solid as a rock and unstoppable. There's some things I just don't crave in cordless, like circ saws and sanders. 

Agree. I also have corded and battery powered reciprocating saws. I’ll take the corded hands down every time for a job requiring more then a few cuts. The battery one for when I need to make a single cut or two. All of my battery operated tools are 18v. Maybe it’s time to start upgrading? 

4 hours ago, poopdeck said:

Agree. I also have corded and battery powered reciprocating saws. I’ll take the corded hands down every time for a job requiring more then a few cuts. The battery one for when I need to make a single cut or two. All of my battery operated tools are 18v. Maybe it’s time to start upgrading? 

I saw a vid saying the DeWalt 20v is BS, it's really 18v but they measure some funny way. I have Makita and Ryobi 18v tools, the latter's batteries do a trick Makita doesn't, has a pushbutton charge reading!

I've said it before and I'll say it again....

Cordless circular saws are a must have for me for one reason. Cutting cedar shakes/shingles up on a ladder or pick. Only "power" tool I need for that job, but without it the job slows way down. 

I started out with one of these 30 some odd years ago

62d56c748cecda4593fc8c304b1c718d.jpg.c6f60d77eb98359936de8ec6be2db78d.jpg

I've had  seven or eight of these over the years

61a5410cd2e69_61MLR5WM4L._AC_SL1194_.jpg.8baac83560f1f7242e657e0625d0a0ef.jpg

Bought a couple of Dewalts, and while they had better batteries and could cut more, longer, the handles are just not ergonomic to cutting material in a standing position holding the material in your hand. They both hurt my wrist after a few hours.

Now I have this one. 

0f4e56c6-744d-4e80-aaca-c9193fc1f5a3_1.883f3fa0db8d930ab3c0c41b417ef856.jpeg.1100a9026fa9bb567cf1ff53672c80bd.jpeg

8 hours ago, Ben Lippen said:

Now I have this one. 

0f4e56c6-744d-4e80-aaca-c9193fc1f5a3_1.883f3fa0db8d930ab3c0c41b417ef856.jpeg.1100a9026fa9bb567cf1ff53672c80bd.jpeg

People crap on Ryobi as cheap junk, but I've been amazed at the value since I invested in several tools as redundancy to my Makita and to get their inexpensive 18ga nailer. The only real criticism I have is the LED light on the drill is not as good as the Makita.

On 11/28/2021 at 10:51 PM, gellfex said:

My Milwaukee 7.25 corded is over 30 years old, solid as a rock and unstoppable. There's some things I just don't crave in cordless, like circ saws and sanders. 

I already have a corded saw. The battery one seems like it would be nice while out in the yard or garden and not needing 100’ of extension cords. 

If you need to buy batteries too, I'd buy the Milwaukee.   All of our  foreman's trucks had Dewalt for years. Now most are in the process of switching over to Milwaukee as they hold up better.    The 7-1/4" is a good saw though much heavier than the 6-1/2".   

On 12/3/2021 at 7:19 AM, poopdeck said:

In the yard or garden? 100’ extension cord? Our circular saw, or garden, needs  must be vastly different. 

Building raised beds, fences, bike ramps and bridges with the kids, etc.