AlwaysWading

Tough Toggin'

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Interesting theory Mick.  Did you open the togs gullet to see what part of the crab the tog bit when it was hooked?

Doosh.

25 mins ago, mickrazz said:

There has been plenty said already on the subject so I won't go over it again, but I will "give my opinion" about how to hook a half a crab. I tried this after studying the half eaten crabs of numerous missed bites.

Next time you reel in a piece of bait that came up due to a missed hit, look where the tog took a chew. If the crab isn't crushed you will find 8 out of 10 times the meat and cartilage is missing from the area that would be right under the shell. 

I don't put the hook in both leg sockets. I come up through a middle leg socket and out through that middle papery cartilage.

I certainly can't be 100% sure but I do believe that by putting the point of the hook where I think his mouth will be munching might catch me a few more fish.

It can't hurt to try. I always thought that anything that might give me an advantage was worth a try.

I've watched 100's of toggers bait hooks and honestly have never seen one put a crab on like that.

Good Point.

4/0 0ctopus , 50 or 60 FLORO  for the leader , main rig is 60 or 80 Jinkai mono, 4' overall length , if on a wreck a 6' , 50 lb topshot , rocks or other natural sht then no topshot, the long main rig has enough abrasion resistance. If it's a slow bite I use a half crab with the shell off , sometimes this will elicit a quick bite so be ready! No need to wait too long , kinda like fishing a hermit but let em chew for one crunch. Silver dollar size whites and a little bigger are whole , shell off again if the bite is slow or just scratchy, in the second to the last leg hole and out towards the main part of the body. If or more likely when the bite heats up it's still a whole white on the same rig in the second to last and out the last , legs off the opposite side and cracked with the sinker, I feel that the wily feckers sometimes are attracted to the legs moving. Also moving the crab , but leaving the sinker still , kinda like dropshotting in fresh water, gets a lot bites when it's slow. Fast current is a whole nuther thing. Party boat togging is 50% position on the piece, in the mud sucks, time to skate then.

40 mins ago, Slayer said:

Didn't even mention the dipsey.

I was thinking that might be a down south kinda thing. 

I have no idea what that was all about. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

55 mins ago, Tom T said:

Dipsey = sinker/ lead

I believe the line of demarcation for that term is Brielle.

No it's not.  I am from south Jersey so don't bother to argue with me.  The jokers on the Bogan boats may call sinkers a dipsy or a doodle or any other kind of bull****, but that is where it stays and no where else.

And THIS is what a DIPSY sinker is...

dipsey.png.829bca1c034e4b80b3ce234a476bb9fa.png

Edited by Slacker

A chicken leg is a thing.  A specific thing.  We do not call every part of the chicken a "chicken leg".

10 mins ago, pakalolo said:

A sinker is a sinker is a sinker not sure about Jersey though. 

E6FD88BD-400A-49AC-8782-7C39CE4FE917.jpeg

That's exactly what I'm saying.  

21 mins ago, Slacker said:

No it's not.  I am from south Jersey so don't bother to argue with me.  The jokers on the Bogan boats may call sinkers a dipsy or a doodle or any other kind of bull****, but that is where it stays and no where else.

19 mins ago, Slacker said:

A chicken leg is a thing.  A specific thing.  We do not call every part of the chicken a "chicken leg".

And we do not call a bank sinker, a "dipsy".  In fact, we do not call any sinkers a "dipsy"... except for a dispy sinker.

25 mins ago, Slacker said:

Wrong. Again.