AlwaysWading

Tough Toggin'

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Niffty said:

I was going to start a thread with this question, but I'll just give this convo some legs instead.  

What do you do when a big tog pulls you into the wreck?  I lost what felt like a PB this way the other day. It would have been my only keeper.  I didn't get a lot of bites.  Pulled a few of shorts, didn't miss much swinging, and came home with just a SB.  

So, I hook an obviously big fish.  Two cranks and it dives into a hole. I'm hung up.  I tried to let her swim me out by free spooling. Good news - she did. More good news - she didn't swim off with a hook in her.  Bad news - she swam off.  

What I think I learned:
1. Do not lose contact with the fish under any circumstances.  
2. Reel fast when you hook a big fish to prevent them from taking you into cover.

What are the tricks to get out of the hole fish intact? 

You can usually get the fish up on the swing if you don't swing like a woman. Swing with leverage and 2-3 cranks should do it. When she dives back to structure give slack and yes, lose contact with the fish. If you feel her she feels you. I've witnessed a good togger wait 20 full minutes before it swam out of the bottom. The fish was a good 10lbs. Patience. You can watch your line, in the right conditions, and you will see it move when the fish moves.

Slacker did you right. Simple is best. You don't need more than 1 hook. Any more and you risk getting hung up.

If you don't get a hit after a few minutes lift the sinker off the bottom, just an inch or so and back down. Sometimes it will attract a bite.

I've always found that 1/2 crab, cleaned of legs and claws always produced for me. 

I've fished 2' from another guy and he was catching and I wasn't. It happens to everyone. If you let that bother you you might as well take up knitting.

One more bit of advice. Tog don't "dive into holes". They will wedge their heads in structure. The bottom doesn't look like a wack a mole game.

Some will disagree with my advice and that is their right. But, being that I'm the MP (magnificent presence) you will do well to heed what I say.

I hope you realize that the prior statement was in jest.

if you get hung up don’t start yanking on it right away. Throw some slack and wait a few minutes sometimes a fish will come along and take you out of a snag. 

Always fresh bait, every time you reel up put on fresh bait.

2 hours ago, Snaps said:

Been there, Once the juice is in the water, and they get a taste for whites, try going to the other side of the boat.

2 hours ago, AlwaysWading said:

no,I had whites too, so did others.

Sea Star

OK thats a different scenario, And so did you cast above/below him ??  let your sinker drop back to his area ???  one don't have to be in someones back pocket to mug them :idea:  you can cast around, ,I did that to mick all the time LOL I learned that from Russ Somers king of the Muggers.

Maybe he built up life in that spot??

9 mins ago, Snaps said:

OK thats a different scenario, And so did you cast above/below him ??  let your sinker drop back to his area ???  one don't have to be in someones back pocket to mug them :idea:  you can cast around, ,I did that to mick all the time LOL I learned that from Russ Somers king of the Muggers.

This dude says he can't catch one fish.  Don't send him in mugging the poor guy that can catch them.  Send him to the other end of the boat... tell him to drop down and if his sinker hits rock instead of hitting mud he's got a good chance of catching fish.

That start time would drive Snaps and Razz effing nuts.  That is putting the LEISURE into the "gentlemen of leisure and adventure".

boat.png.fee51355e9a6d922deaff7d018f984ad.png

1 hour ago, Kml said:

if you get hung up don’t start yanking on it right away. Throw some slack and wait a few minutes sometimes a fish will come along and take you out of a snag. 

Always fresh bait, every time you reel up put on fresh bait.

This I learned to wait when stuck already. Especially when it's really sticky. 

Per @mickrazz reply, when I say hole I define it loosely. Any crevice or under a ledge. This felt very verticle. Swam down and left then under the boat. Felt like it took a hard turn to my right and ducked under a lesge or into a tunnel. 

3 hours ago, Snaps said:

You bastard!

2 hours ago, Slacker said:

Fish swim to the talent.  Always have.

That's why Snaps would slyly mug me.

Russ once mugged me out of a 10 and an 11 in two casts in Cape May on the out on a limb, after he saw me pull up two at least that big. I never fished with him again. He actually had his rod 3 inches from my shoulder, over the top. 

I still can't believe that I didn't knock his teeth out.

1 hour ago, mickrazz said:

You bastard!

That's why Snaps would slyly mug me.

Russ once mugged me out of a 10 and an 11 in two casts in Cape May on the out on a limb, after he saw me pull up two at least that big. I never fished with him again. He actually had his rod 3 inches from my shoulder, over the top. 

I still can't believe that I didn't knock his teeth out.

That was my only 10 over 10 trip ever

38 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Using 2/0 gami octopus works for me, making a double overhand knot for the dipsey, one tag end to the standing line the other to snell the hook. I lost two "good" fish this year which went right into structure and cut my braid (10lb). One of the guys said some party boat toggers use a top shot of mono. Made sense and I tried it briefly but the knot going thru the tip guide was driving me nuts. May try it again with a three foot leader next year. I try to keep my tip very close to the water surface and the drag locked down so I try to yank them away from structure.

Thinking about the actual bite itself if you are feeling the pecking they don't have the crab in their mouth, correct? Otherwise they would be swimming away and setting the hook. As difficult as it may be I think you just have to let them chew till they get the hook.

I would be interested to hear what others think about leader strength and stiffness. Hooking the crab shell on or off, halving or quartering and hook placement considerations.

Mick will help you out, I don't have time right now.

29 mins ago, Snaps said:

YUP he is always willing to give his opinion...LOL 

And that's all that it is, an opinion. I know next to nothing about anything, except knives. I know knives.

4 hours ago, Slayer said:

Mick will help you out, I don't have time right now.

There has been plenty said already on the subject so I won't go over it again, but I will "give my opinion" about how to hook a half a crab. I tried this after studying the half eaten crabs of numerous missed bites.

Next time you reel in a piece of bait that came up due to a missed hit, look where the tog took a chew. If the crab isn't crushed you will find 8 out of 10 times the meat and cartilage is missing from the area that would be right under the shell. 

I don't put the hook in both leg sockets. I come up through a middle leg socket and out through that middle papery cartilage.

I certainly can't be 100% sure but I do believe that by putting the point of the hook where I think his mouth will be munching might catch me a few more fish.

It can't hurt to try. I always thought that anything that might give me an advantage was worth a try.

I've watched 100's of toggers bait hooks and honestly have never seen one put a crab on like that.