AlwaysWading

Tough Toggin'

Rate this topic

82 posts in this topic

Let me just say I suck at catching Tog. Brought my wife with me on a party boat yesterday, she had 2 keepers, I didn't have any....and she had the pool winner. Went out last Wednesday, there weren't many fish but I was skunked again. I read all the threads about Toggin', I used jigs and White leggers, slider rigs, snafu rigs ,everything. Can't catch one to save my life. Help me out here.

1 min ago, AlwaysWading said:

Let me just say I suck at catching Tog. Brought my wife with me on a party boat yesterday, she had 2 keepers, I didn't have any....and she had the pool winner. Went out last Wednesday, there weren't many fish but I was skunked again. I read all the threads about Toggin', I used jigs and White leggers, slider rigs, snafu rigs ,everything. Can't catch one to save my life. Help me out here.

Here's what I'm gonna tell ya.  Make it simple. 

1 hook on a leader long enough to hang below the sinker.  Put half a greenie with no legs on the hook.  Use an 8 oz sinker.  Drop it to the bottom and stand there holding the rod.  When you get a bite, swing... if you miss, reel up and see if there is bait or not... no bait, you waited too long... bait, you swung too early... adjust as needed.

If you are fishing braid, you probably will swing too early until you adjust.  If you are fishing mono, you probably will swing too late until you adjust.

Don't get discouraged. You will have to learn the difference between bergal bites and tog bites. If you're swinging at bergals you won't give the tog a chance. Bergals move the rod tip very fast. Experience is the best teacher.

Watch what guys that are catching are doing, how they bait, cut the crab etc.

Go as often as you can. Take a few charter trips. Only 6 guys and they usually fish better areas with more fish thus more chances.

The guy sitting next to me was a machine. He literally caught more fish than all the other 30 guys on the boat that day. He had a fish every 5 mins or so....White leggers and calicos with slider rigs.

I was going to start a thread with this question, but I'll just give this convo some legs instead.  

What do you do when a big tog pulls you into the wreck?  I lost what felt like a PB this way the other day. It would have been my only keeper.  I didn't get a lot of bites.  Pulled a few of shorts, didn't miss much swinging, and came home with just a SB.  

So, I hook an obviously big fish.  Two cranks and it dives into a hole. I'm hung up.  I tried to let her swim me out by free spooling. Good news - she did. More good news - she didn't swim off with a hook in her.  Bad news - she swam off.  

What I think I learned:
1. Do not lose contact with the fish under any circumstances.  
2. Reel fast when you hook a big fish to prevent them from taking you into cover.

What are the tricks to get out of the hole fish intact? 

6 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

The guy sitting next to me was a machine. He literally caught more fish than all the other 30 guys on the boat that day. He had a fish every 5 mins or so....White leggers and calicos with slider rigs.

Did you leave out of AC and use rental rods? We may have been on the same boat. 

Just now, Niffty said:

Did you leave out of AC and use rental rods? We may have been on the same boat. 

No ,Cape May. Obviously there were plenty of fish where we were at but only this guy was catching....it blows my mind.

22 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

Was he the only guy with whites? Was the boat selling whites?

17 mins ago, Niffty said:

I was going to start a thread with this question, but I'll just give this convo some legs instead.  

What do you do when a big tog pulls you into the wreck?  I lost what felt like a PB this way the other day. It would have been my only keeper.  I didn't get a lot of bites.  Pulled a few of shorts, didn't miss much swinging, and came home with just a SB.  

So, I hook an obviously big fish.  Two cranks and it dives into a hole. I'm hung up.  I tried to let her swim me out by free spooling. Good news - she did. More good news - she didn't swim off with a hook in her.  Bad news - she swam off.  

What I think I learned:
1. Do not lose contact with the fish under any circumstances.  
2. Reel fast when you hook a big fish to prevent them from taking you into cover.

What are the tricks to get out of the hole fish intact? 

It's a game of luck at that point -- Does the fish pull off the hook before the sinker comes loose. I agree with keeping contact and not free spooling. Just don't keep the tip bent with pressure to the snag.

Yes, try to get a quick crank or two before the fish knows what is happening. Better to get past the initial bucking with a couple cranks off the bottom. 

49 mins ago, AlwaysWading said:

No ,Cape May. Obviously there were plenty of fish where we were at but only this guy was catching....it blows my mind.

Hmmm Cape May huh, What Boat ???

34 mins ago, Mike said:

It's a game of luck at that point -- Does the fish pull off the hook before the sinker comes loose. I agree with keeping contact and not free spooling. Just don't keep the tip bent with pressure to the snag.

Yes, try to get a quick crank or two before the fish knows what is happening. Better to get past the initial bucking with a couple cranks off the bottom. 

Yea once the fish is in the hole, it is a game of luck.

1 hour ago, AlwaysWading said:

Been there, Once the juice is in the water, and they get a taste for whites, try going to the other side of the boat.

49 mins ago, Mike said:

Was he the only guy with whites? Was the boat selling whites?

no,I had whites too, so did others.

11 mins ago, Snaps said:

Hmmm Cape May huh, What Boat ???

Sea Star

If it's luck then I'm screwed. Luck ****ing hates me. To the point where the mere mention of it summons the gurgling flavor of bile to back of my throat.