Bucktails_and_beers

The other side of the shore

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

I was going to head out to the surf this weekend, but opted to head towards the bay so my son and I could drop some handlines in for crab. I know the water is a little too cold, but figured maybe we'd catch a handful of ornery boys that refused to stop eating this late in the season...lol. We headed to Tyaskin Park which is at the mouth of the Nanticoke right before it dumps into the bay. They have a great little park with some shorliene beach, a fishing pier, gazebo, etc. It's also a fee free area so if you don't have a MD fishing license you're good. We wound up getting into some decent action towards sunset. Found a dip about 50 or 60 yards out full of channel cat. We hooked about 5 total in 45 minutes. Landed 4. A couple more decent sized ones and we would have been having some fish and chips for dinner but opted to release since we only had one hog in the bunch. Anyway, I love this place where we live...it's so awesome that we have the ocean, 2 bays, rivers everywhere, ponds, lakes, etc. that we can get to within a short drive. I cherish the days I spend with my kids teaching them the lessons I've learned over the years I've lived here. Y'all Delmarva boys are a good bunch with great advice. Tight lines my friend and I'll see ya around I'm sure!

9812.jpeg

KIMG0444.JPG

Good to know, I never go there as I keep going on Nanticoke to hit Roaring point area and fish the point.  It is a nice area and right down the road from me.  No short stripped bass caught?

11 mins ago, spinr0k said:

Good to know, I never go there as I keep going on Nanticoke to hit Roaring point area and fish the point.  It is a nice area and right down the road from me.  No short stripped bass caught?

I tied up a 1/2 oz bucktail with a rubber grub. Nothing. Tried out some bloodworms and some chunks of bunker (bunker was frozen from the last time I went out on the surf so not sure how I would have done if I had fresh) . I didn't get so much as a nibble on those. Decided to go for the easier fish so my boy had a better chance of landing one, and we were running out of daylight. A chunk of chicken thighs with a small strip of nightcrawler is all it took to bring the cats out of their hole. I will be out of town this week for Thanksgiving. I'm going steelhead fishing on St. Joe's river in Michigan. I am so stoked. My BIL said they are running like crazy. He sent me a pic of one (attached) that he caught last year on the same charter we are using. I can almost taste it! lol. The following weekend I'm thinking about heading back out to the Nanticoke. Might try the same spot or run down closer to Roaring Point.  This time with fresh bunker, and some different rigs. Wouldn't mind wrapping up 2021 with a few rock landings even if they are shorty stripers.

9614.jpeg

Another good place to go on The Eastern Shore is Bestpitch Ferry landing. Lots of Blue cats there up to 30ish lbs. I got a 25 pounder on my kayak last year right by the old bridge.

1 min ago, luckyOC said:

locals in the area live in "hooterville" (cambridge boonies).... and if they are lucky, they always have running "woooter" in the "terlit".

Always good "crick" fishing over "dere"...lol.

At least we call 'em Rockfish and not Stripah's...

As for the Blue Cats, they are pretty well established in the tidal rivers that flow into the Chesapeake. I wonder about the DE rivers that flow into DE or IR Bay? Nice thing, they are active in the winter for some good pullage...

Edited by JAL

51 mins ago, JAL said:

At least we call 'em Rockfish and not Stripah's...

As for the Blue Cats, they are pretty well established in the tidal rivers that flow into the Chesapeake. I wonder about the DE rivers that flow into DE or IR Bay? Nice thing, they are active in the winter for some good pullage...

I've only fished a handful of the IR bay and DE bay tributaries and I don't recall ever catching a blue cat. That certainly doesn't mean much, trust me...but that's been my experience.

14 hours ago, cdsleeve said:

Sister lives in Tyaskin, another sister has a rental there, a third sister lives in Nanticoke

The funny part about it, at least for me, is that I live a half mile away from the Nanticoke in Seaford. Because of all the guts, cuts and waterways it takes me about 50 minutes to drive to Tyaskin. With a good clip on a boat I could likely get there in less than 40 minutes...lol. 

On 12/7/2021 at 9:01 AM, Bucktails_and_beers said:

Always good "crick" fishing over "dere"...lol.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:59 AM, luckyOC said:

locals in the area live in "hooterville" (cambridge boonies).... and if they are lucky, they always have running "woooter" in the "terlit".

Yall forgot 'tars' on your pickem up and the 'far' company in Dorchester County speak