BIG PLUG ROD RECOMMENDATIONS

Rate this topic

dannyplug1

On 11/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I have begun to think about next years fishing.  I tried to fish bigger plugs this year.  I tried using my canal. Rod but it felt too stiff, and uncomfortable.  I am looking for a rod to cast the Soldati big water pikies and other large plugs.  Specifically I would like the rod to throw 3.5 through 6.5 ounces and have a sweet spot at 4.5 ounces.  I would be interested in a blank and or finished rod recommendations.  Thanks Charlie 

Lami has a 1321MH blank that is perfect for large plugs.  

It's not their chunking rod, this mh blank has the same tip size as the M but thickens slightly Into the mid section and the butt is also comparable to the m as well.  It's a slim and very powerful rod that does great spinning or conventional and it's just about indestructible.  Balanced with the right reel placement, the swing weight and overall weight of the rod are nonexistant.  Like the old school m, this rod is thicker walled using more graphite rather than increasing its diameter however it has much faster tip recovery and way more power.  Excellent bucktailing rod when casting into heavy wind for this reason.  If you can find one, grab it.

Edited by DeepBlue85

6 mins ago, Bait Tailer said:

Have you spent much time with the 11’ 3-8 carbon surf? Wondering how that compares to the 1321m(s) for the big wood.

Yes. It has plenty of power. The carbon surf is a faster action blank than the more parabolic gsb. I feel the gsb loads and cast stuff like big metal lips better than the faster action rods

Living the dream... one sick day at a time!!

Another decent rod that definitely won't break your bank is the Okuma longitude I have the knife for the rated three to six ounce and it handles it very well it handles 7 oz and I don't recall if I throw 8 oz with it but, it definitely handles the heavy water in the current with a fish in it.

I got lucky and found mine on Amazon for $38 shipped worked out well and I love it.

Has an Omoto Hubilie 777-s3 on top of it, works killer.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

On 11/20/2021 at 7:45 PM, dannyplug1 said:

I have begun to think about next years fishing.  I tried to fish bigger plugs this year.  I tried using my canal. Rod but it felt too stiff, and uncomfortable.  I am looking for a rod to cast the Soldati big water pikies and other large plugs.  Specifically I would like the rod to throw 3.5 through 6.5 ounces and have a sweet spot at 4.5 ounces.  I would be interested in a blank and or finished rod recommendations.  Thanks Charlie 

So, what did you end up with?

HH

An armed man is a citizen,,,an unarmed man is a subject,,,,,,,,

for plugging in the weight range you mention, there are two rods I use and can recommend - 10.5 ft Century Stealth S2 paired with a VR175 and Shimano Tireljo 11ft paired with an Aero Technium 10000 (or same sized Ultegra).  I use the Shimano in the daytime and the S2 in the dark, since the Aero Technium does not like getting splashed, but provides for a longer cast.  An exception is working 4oz Pencils - the S2 has a better action compared to the Tiralejo.

On 11/26/2021 at 10:31 AM, Domjolly said:

The lami carbon surf 10’ 1-5oz will happily throw 6oz all day. It’s super affordable and a little more moderate action than the 11’ model.
the 10’ is more like a 2-7. About $200. And not super heavy or thick

Love that blank and would agree on 2-6, if it's aerodynamic. Punches well but I can't time it with the head-weighted big wood without a helicopter fest. 

Edited by Bait Tailer