dannyplug1

BIG PLUG ROD RECOMMENDATIONS

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

I have begun to think about next years fishing.  I tried to fish bigger plugs this year.  I tried using my canal. Rod but it felt too stiff, and uncomfortable.  I am looking for a rod to cast the Soldati big water pikies and other large plugs.  Specifically I would like the rod to throw 3.5 through 6.5 ounces and have a sweet spot at 4.5 ounces.  I would be interested in a blank and or finished rod recommendations.  Thanks Charlie 

8 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

I have begun to think about next years fishing.  I tried to fish bigger plugs this year.  I tried using my canal. Rod but it felt too stiff, and uncomfortable.  I am looking for a rod to cast the Soldati big water pikies and other large plugs.  Specifically I would like the rod to throw 3.5 through 6.5 ounces and have a sweet spot at 4.5 ounces.  I would be interested in a blank and or finished rod recommendations.  Thanks Charlie 

Are we talking about spinning rods here?, I am assuming we are. 

If we are talking winch rigs then that's up my alley.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

12 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

I like big glass rods but they will wear you out quickly 

20210413_151528.jpg

I'm in the same boat and leaning towards a more moderate blank than I'd usually prefer. So far I've tried...

Genesis NXGX 116 - Awesome for 2-4 but it started to feel too soft towards 5.

Jigster NXJ-1110 - Heard it was a great big plug rod and definitely more moderate than fast.  Liked the stiffer tip but something about the flex in the butt just wasn't for me.

GSB 1321M OS - Love it but I need a 2piece so waiting to see what happens if/when they ever release the new 70/30 splits. 

Black Hole 10'6" NANO Heavy - currently the front runner. True moderate fast. will throw 4-5 all day and happy with 6.  Tons of power in the butt. 

Edited by Bait Tailer

20 hours ago, dannyplug1 said:

What length are you looking for?

Personally speaking of course, for the type of fishing that I do which is ldp fishing a moderate Rod won't work it's too soft, it will not drive home large treble hooks through that tough big thick bony jaw of a bass simple and plain.

I have tried this because I have three and they did work but they only worked with small lures, they did not work with big wood simply because they don't have the power.

I have a pen prevail 10 ft grated one to four ounce but, that is way off is actually more like 2 to 6 ounce, I commonly throw six with it with no problems.

I'm not sure if the prevail comes and a heavier version, I don't know but, I do know that what I have works and works well and has plenty of power even that long distance like a fish.

Another good rod that I have and love is the Okuma CSX surf, 10 ft rated 3 to 8 oz and it will throw 10.

Mounted on top of that is an Abu 7000 pro rocket in Black.

That rig has the power to set the hook at 140 yards with a very large swimmer and pull whatever is on it in with no gripes.

Muskie rods are another option but they are stiff and if you don't like a stiff Rod then you're not going to like it, I picked up one on Amazon on the cheap and it's an Okuma EVX, 9 ft 3 rated 2 to 10 oz and it is telescopic it goes from 9 ft 3 to about 7 ft or so maybe seven and a half.

On that have a daiwa Lexa HDSP loaded with 25 lb mono, I like it the cast very well and it performs like an 11-ft Rod, I love it.

I have three others that I'm not going to mention but one of them I will the other two you can't you can't buy anymore they don't make them anymore but this one in particular they still do and you can find it at Walmart places, and that is a Shakespeare tidewater fiberglass surf stick it's actually a bait rod but I like the power of it so I cut the handle off because it was 12 ft I cut the hand off of the top strip which made it 10 and a real seat and cork tape and remove the bottom guide I think I did if I remember correctly, it's kind of fast action lots of balls and  long distance fishing like I do, when I hit a fish with that stick I stand it right on it's nose.

If I had to put a rating on it I would say that it's 4 to 10 ounce, on top of that ride I have a The matte grey/silver abu 7000-C-3, not the cheap Chrome looking on with the black hardware and the black spool and lightweight, mine is the heavy one full of 25 or 30 lb mono, love that ride too I guess the job done and it don't complain

As I said previously a moderate won't get it done, speaking from experience, when you're throwing big wood and looking for a larger fish you do not want to be undergunned so, don't be!

HH

Ps-there is no need or reason to pay $500 for a rod, you can spend 150 and do just fine and in many instances less than that. 

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I would have to second what @Heavy Hooksetter stated- listen to him, he knows his stuff! 

I have an 11ft penn battalion rated at 2-6oz and could probably go up to 8 I guess, it slings 6.5 with no trouble. And I can also throw 1.5. It’s a very nice rod for the money. It’s actually the same blank as the prevail (confirmed by penn) just has upgraded guides, seat and handle material. Mine is a conventional rod, im guessing they make spinning in the same rod. Although on the conventional rod, just so you know the rod seat to butt measures 28”... I have grown to like it. Easy to measure fish lol you could cut it. 

I had a similar problem as HH described with setting the hook with a medium power mod fast rod. And this was close range, I spoke to HH and he set me straight and I havnt looked back. It’s takes some getting used to bigger gear- but you won’t lose fish due to hook set and you’ll grow to love it.. 

If you want a more moderate feel try fiberglass- I did and really like it with plug- but still faster action and heavy power as per the rod specs. 

Also as HH mentioned- no need to break the bank... just cause it’s an expensive name brand does mean it will work. That Okuma That HH mentioned seems like a real nice rod... 

Edited by Mr.Belmar