GetDaGaff

Ceramic coatings for cars

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

My neighbor had his black Ford explorer done and it looks amazing. He just rinses it off them blow dries it. He really doesn't wash it much and it still looks beautiful. The water just rolls off it. Price range is up there, and is different for every level. $1600 for a 3 year and $2000 for a 5 year with the rims and glass included. Anyone do it?

I do rejex myself.  Cars (including a black yukon) are pretty much clean after a good rain.

Buddy commented how damn shiny it was this summer, I hadn't washed it in at least 4 weeks and last did rejex maybe 18 months ago.

Intrigued by the ceramics...but I'm not paying that.  I'd like to know how to do it right and how blood and chum would clean

7 mins ago, makorider said:

I do rejex myself.  Cars (including a black yukon) are pretty much clean after a good rain.

Buddy commented how damn shiny it was this summer, I hadn't washed it in at least 4 weeks and last did rejex maybe 18 months ago.

Intrigued by the ceramics...but I'm not paying that.  I'd like to know how to do it right and how blood and chum would clean

They sell the ceramic you can do yourself but its a pain in the azz. I don't know about chum and blood but bird poop and bugs just hoses off. Poof Gone.

Just now, GetDaGaff said:

They sell the ceramic you can do yourself but its a pain in the azz. I don't know about chum and blood but bird poop and bugs just hoses off. Poof Gone.

rejex too.  Thats why I wouldnt spend all that money for marginally better results.

But I'd try it myself

2 mins ago, makorider said:

rejex too.  Thats why I wouldnt spend all that money for marginally better results.

But I'd try it myself

If I didn't have to wash or wax my car for 5 years it might be worth it.

Looked into it because I hate waxing my truck. Found a guy to do it for $400 cash . Came out great . I would recommend doing it to a new vehicle. Went back to have my wife’s 2 door Jeep done , now $500. Said he made a mistake charging only $400. Would be $1000 now. Passed on the Jeep, I can wax it in 2 hours & I don’t mind doing it. $400 , yes , $1000 , don’t know. But is does look great . Done 9 months ago. Cross that bridge next time ? 

On 11/19/2021 at 3:52 PM, makorider said:

But I'd try it myself

Did you prep your car with a clay bar or anything else or just a good wash?

I’ve been using that inexpensive “nu-finish” polish for years.

They sell it everywhere and it doesn’t cost much at all.

Years ago, consumer reports gave it very high ratings and that’s when  I started using it.

I apply it maybe twice per year and water always beads up nicely.

I’m not big into washing/waxing cars.

If I’m going to clean/wax a car, I want it to be quick and easy and this stuff suits me just fine.

Spend hundreds or thousands on getting a ceramic coating applied by a professional ?

Not me !

Never used ceramic. Have been using 5 Star Shine , Teflon stuff,since I purchased my truck new in 05. It last for 5 years when applied to new paint. As paint ages, every 3 years. My vehicle is not garage stored and still has a deep rich finish. As far as dirt sliding right off, not really. The kit is around 65 on sale and I can get wife’s Malibu and my full sized pick up with cap with the 2 ounces they sell you and still have a little left over.