Bajda22

eels in the surf

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

just was wondering about how people are carrying eels in the surf. I personally use a mesh laundry type of bag and tie it to my wading belt and i know people use mayo jars as well but was wondering what other people use and if there s anything different out there that you guys are using that might be a improvement from the mesh bag or mayo jar.

thanks

I put one eel into the cheapest quart size ziplock bag I can find.   Trap some air in the bag and the eel will last for hours.  The best part is you hook them straight through the bag, tear the plastic away and never have to touch them.  The cheaper bags tear away easier and don't damage the hook placement in the eel..  I will put three or four of these eel bags down my waders or in the outer pocket of a plug bag and don't have to worry about the slime or the old eel stench.  Just make sure you properly dispose of the used bags, as we already have way to much plastic floating around in the ocean.

15 mins ago, MikeK said:

I put one eel into the cheapest quart size ziplock bag I can find.   Trap some air in the bag and the eel will last for hours.  The best part is you hook them straight through the bag, tear the plastic away and never have to touch them.  The cheaper bags tear away easier and don't damage the hook placement in the eel..  I will put three or four of these eel bags down my waders or in the outer pocket of a plug bag and don't have to worry about the slime or the old eel stench.  Just make sure you properly dispose of the used bags, as we already have way to much plastic floating around in the ocean.

thanks man never thought of that but seems like a great idea. tired of the slime and smells lol but definitely will be trying that out.

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

Oh yeah, I'm salivating just thinking about the smell and the feeling of 4 eels swimming around in my waders when the bag breaks! 

1 hour ago, MikeK said:

This

Mayo gallon jug with loops riveted to it.  Then I wear it on a shoulder strap on clipped to my belt with karibiner.  I drill drain holes so they can flush with water and the slime drains.  

Durable.   find the right jug, build it right. mine has been in service 8 years now

1 hour ago, changed said:

Oh yeah, I'm salivating just thinking about the smell and the feeling of 4 eels swimming around in my waders when the bag breaks! 

Never had a bag break yet.  The trick is you only want to catch a little air, not have the bag full like a baloon. Not gonna lie, the feeling of eels moving around in a bag against your body is peculiar....  This is why I generally carry them in the plug bag.

Also, don't blow into the bag, which adds co2.  Instead swoop the bag to catch some ambient air.

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Soft lunch bag cooler. 

Live eel 007.jpg

+1 to this method, Get some refreezable ice packs that are easy to wash. I buy the cheapest walmart soft sided small cooler I can find and throw some ice packs in there. While your hands still get slimy, and I do like the plastic bag method, when those eels are so lethargic from being on the ice packs they are quite easy to handle. When the cooler starts to smell or is beyond cleaning, get rid of it and go get another one. Generally the ones I find are <$10 and I don't sweat it when they need replacing. 

4 hours ago, MikeK said:

awesome idea. never thought of this. it's a winner.

52 mins ago, Lxpaul6 said:

+1 to this method, Get some refreezable ice packs that are easy to wash. I buy the cheapest walmart soft sided small cooler I can find and throw some ice packs in there. While your hands still get slimy, and I do like the plastic bag method, when those eels are so lethargic from being on the ice packs they are quite easy to handle. When the cooler starts to smell or is beyond cleaning, get rid of it and go get another one. Generally the ones I find are <$10 and I don't sweat it when they need replacing. 

Water bottle upper right is frozen.  Always bring at least two eel grabbers, green soapless pot scrubbers are perfect and reusable after washing with nylon brush.  When the bag gets funky dispose of it.  

1 hour ago, DZ said:

Water bottle upper right is frozen.  Always bring at least two eel grabbers, green soapless pot scrubbers are perfect and reusable after washing with nylon brush.  When the bag gets funky dispose of it.  

Plus you can hydrate throughout the night as the ice melts in the water bottle!