mikez2

Fall/winter trout

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

I'm sitting here at work and my son is sending me these pics. 

He says fish are rising all over the pond and many browns are doing that November rocket launch thing they do during spawning season. 

Plenty holdover in this particular pond. 

As luck would have it, I have tomorrow off and it's going to be nice out.:)

IMG_20211117_145519.jpg

IMG_20211117_154631.jpg

IMG_20211117_155116.jpg

This is such a great time of year for them. Dying to get out but I’ve been so busy lately. Maybe tomorrow afternoon… 

I have been trying for giant browns this fall. My baits are 5-7 inches. So far I have everything but a big brown trout but i know they are there.

What a difference a day makes.

Yesterday we returned to the same spot where my son was slaying. I expected great results in the warm weather. We got shut out.

The strong breeze kept the midges from hatching and we saw no rises. 

The wind was too strong for floating the water bobber. Nothing on spoons or worms.

That's fishin'.

Still a beautiful day to be out and way better than being at work.

46 mins ago, hotfishgirl said:

I have been trying for giant browns this fall. My baits are 5-7 inches. So far I have everything but a big brown trout but i know they are there.

The night raid.

A pond I fish frequently has 2 coves that face N&S.So it was cranking down both towards the north yesterday.In the lee of both makes up what I call the golden triangle.This mostly calm area had the midges drifting around out to the wind lines.Casting drys with no floatant out to the edges and letting them sink slowly with little twitches worked like a charm.Fished one side of the triangle taking a couple of fish then moving to the other side and fishing the edge for a couple.Did this back and forth for 3 hrs to dark.No rises at all.All rainbows to 14-20"Had to leave for a meeting as the moon was coming up.It should have been great later.

35 mins ago, SalmonAndStriper Stalker said:

total for the last 2 mornings is 12 browns 6 rainbows and 1 brookie. the fly hatches this morning were insane with trout everywhere 

20211121_082637.jpg

20211121_081849.jpg

20211121_080755.jpg

20211120_070512.jpg

20211121_083000.jpg

Sweet.

Nice looking browns. I love a pond with holdover browns. Great for ice fishing. 

You think the brookies were stocked this fall?

3 mins ago, mikez2 said:

Sweet.

Nice looking browns. I love a pond with holdover browns. Great for ice fishing. 

You think the brookies were stocked this fall?

no definitely stocked in the spring. never heard of this state stocking brookies in the fall and the stocking report confirms that. 

Hit a Central MA pond early this morning with the fly rod. Pretty cold with only a few fish rising. Ice in the guides and on the line was an issue for most of the outing. Managed 3 bows and a bite off by a pickerel.

bow_1_1123.jpg

Went out Sunday. Landed a funny brown. It was missing both pectoral fins! Previously I caught one from the same river that was only missing one pectoral fin. 

38 mins ago, WormDog said:

Went out Sunday. Landed a funny brown. It was missing both pectoral fins! Previously I caught one from the same river that was only missing one pectoral fin. 

The state doing some "snipping".Different years?