jwb22

Vega Duplicator - Midi vs Pro

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

I am interested in investing in a vega duplicator.  I understand the Midi is no longer in production, but I am looking to get a little feed back / first hand knowledge on the differences between the Midi and pro. Besides track lengths and price, what are the major differences?  It does not seem like the cutters are interchangeable - a pro cutter can not be used on the midi and vice versa?  I have visited the vega site and  looked around - there is not a ton of information out there.  If I were to come across a midi, a concern would be having to replace the cutter. If it is no longer produced, I am assuming cutters are in low supply. Are there easy work arounds to this? 

I make the cutters for both sizes and a lot less than they sell them for. I also can supply you with the inserts for both sizes also. Paul. 

6 hours ago, swirlchaser said:

Depends on the lathe. I don't think a Midi sized lathe has the power to maximize a Pro size dup.

I have a Jet 1221vs. Pretty sure they have 16" travel in the pro model. I would be limiting myself w/ the track length, but at the moment, the sole purpose would be to try and turn a few of my own plugs.

21 hours ago, Steel Pulse said:

I make the cutters for both sizes and a lot less than they sell them for. I also can supply you with the inserts for both sizes also. Paul. 

That's very good to know.  I'm still considering my options, I am assuming I will end up w/ one of them, so I am sure I will reach out at some point.

I have seen some of you other posts, and its seems like you are / have used a Vega and then you are getting more detailed w/ your own free hand duplicator? Do you have experience on the Pro / Midi? Both? Any preference for one or the other?

I have a midi. Never used a pro but it seems if you want to make quantities of lures, like  a commercial venture, the pro would be the way to go. Obviously it’s more heavy duty and can take more wear and tear. The midi is fine for the hobbiest. It’s fine for me because I use it to rough out my plugs. I finish them on my homemade. The homemade is kind of a pain to take off a lot of material or hard materials like maple and birch and the Vega is good for material removal but I like the homemade for finish work. It’s more accurate and I get a better finish. Just my 2 cents. 

I prefer the pro over the midi. Way more solid, a lot less chatter and vibration and you can cut a blank much faster with deeper cuts than you can on the smaller vega.  The differences between the two might not justify the difference in cost though..that depends on what your expectations are.  From what I've seen though the mark up on the no longer available midi would make me think the pro would be a better investment.  When I purchased the pro I had expected I would have to upgrade my small lathe as well but it had enough swing to accommodate the pro so I gave it a shot and it surprisingly worked really well so I never upgraded the lathe. Regardless of which one you get definitely get the cutters from steel pulse.

30 mins ago, lazzyone said:

I prefer the pro over the midi. Way more solid, a lot less chatter and vibration and you can cut a blank much faster with deeper cuts than you can on the smaller vega.  The differences between the two might not justify the difference in cost though

I've had both and agree with the above

I have a Jet 1236 with the 36 inch Vega duplicator with Steel Pulse’s carbide tool holder that I’m considering putting on the BST forum. If you would like to see the duplicator mounted on the lathe I’m on Long Island and happy to show it to anyone looking to buy a new one. Steel Pulse’s carbide insert holder is great.