Rod rehab/overhaul ... who can do it?

Rate this topic

Jeff B

25 mins ago, Billy 40 said:

THAt's the most untrue statement ever

A guide and reel seat? Any halfway decent rod builder can fix it. The first thing I learned how to do was repair guides. Then replace rear grips. Then replace reel seats and foregrips, and then layouts. I’m not great builder by any stretch, but I would feel 100% comfortable fixing that. 

4 mins ago, wefish138 said:

A guide and reel seat? Any halfway decent rod builder can fix it. The first thing I learned how to do was repair guides. Then replace rear grips. Then replace reel seats and foregrips, and then layouts. I’m not great builder by any stretch, but I would feel 100% comfortable fixing that. 

Or maybe I was just taught in a weird order, and had the privilege of learning by someone who’s really good. I dunno. 

I would not feel comfortable doing a layout on someones rods that weren’t my own without having someone check my work, but I would have no problem doing repairs. The amount of repairs we get in is stupid though, so we get a ton of practice 

11 hours ago, Lou T said:

For what a builder would charge to strip it, and rebuild it just may be close to a price of the rod.

Call St Croix, they just might take care of it for you.

I will call in and get a expert opinion for you!!!

This ^ will cost too much to repair. Retire it and buy yourself a new rod.

8 hours ago, wefish138 said:

8 hours ago, wefish138 said:

had the privilege of learning by someone who’s really good. I dunno.

I never had anyone teach me, maybe that's the problem. I've never restored a rod, it's the hardest part of rod building, way beyond my skillset

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16

Replacing a guide is not difficult or expensive. Fixing a loose reel seat wouldn’t scare me either. Keeping busted rods around for sentimental reasons is not for me. I would fix it myself or throw the rod away. Most likely I would just replace an old, cheap, broken rod with something new. It’s the benefit of not being sentimentally attached to things that can be replaced. 

16 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

Personally I wouldn't restore it, I would replace the guide and keep fishing it it's cool with his Battle scars it's trials of Life scars and it gleans experience, knowledge and of course Glory!.

To erase it s physical memories attributes and character could cause you to treat it differently and that may not be a good thing also, it could enhance its opportunity to break so I would replace the guide and keep on fishing!

Almost forgot,not sure what kind of seat that rod has but, I'm sure it can be fixed!

HH

Good winter project. 

Most reel seats are epoxied in on some sort of arbor on booth ends. Drill a hole thru the reel seat in the middle; ( not thru the blank ) and inject some epoxy in there. I would use the non hardening type. Ask the guys in the rod building forum.

You don't have to know everything, just who to ask what your interest are in

Good Luck

Lou T

It can absolutely be done.  I've rebuilt a few rods and repaired even more.  The big question is how nice do you want it to look?  Functional but ugly is easy, getting it right is a pain in the ass.  I say cut the guide off, stick a new one on, then drill some holes in the reel seat and fill it with epoxy.  It might look like hell but it'll keep caching fish for another 20 years.

I can do it but I'm in Florida :)

It can be easily done by a shop or individual that knows what they are doing.

It will take a lot of labor, which equals time, which equals cost.

I've seen the "drill holes and inject epoxy" recommended a lot of times, but I've never tried it because replacing the seat is the best fix.

14 hours ago, wefish138 said:

To do a reel seat you need to take all the guides off if it’s a one piece. If it’s a 2 piece, agreed, easier, but to remove all the reel seat glue and get the surface down to perfect it is a total beyotch. I have done this twice on my personal rods. 

3 hours ago, Lou T said:

You don't have to know everything, just who to ask what your interest are in

do you do classes? I love your youtube video. YOu should do more of them

"the internet is the greatest platform for people who don't know anything, to tell people how much they don't know, to people who don't know anything and believe everything they read."
-Billy 40:16