Jeff B

Rod rehab/overhaul ... who can do it?

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

Hi gents, I have an older St Croix "Ben Doerr Surf System" 8 footer that I love. Great for lighter work & jetty fishing etc. But it's getting pretty beat up. I'd like to have it fixed up. I broke a guide, the seat is a bit loose etc.

Any recommendations ?

Tanx ;-)

1 hour ago, Jeff B said:

Hi gents, I have an older St Croix "Ben Doerr Surf System" 8 footer that I love. Great for lighter work & jetty fishing etc. But it's getting pretty beat up. I'd like to have it fixed up. I broke a guide, the seat is a bit loose etc.

Any recommendations ?

Tanx ;-)

I suggest to do it yourself. It's not difficult at all. It may open up an activity to do in your down time. 

For what a builder would charge to strip it, and rebuild it just may be close to a price of the rod.

Call St Croix, they just might take care of it for you.

I will call in and get a expert opinion for you!!!

@levari what would you recommend. Dose the guy have a snowballs chance in hell getting the reels seat replaced???

Good Luck, if you take on the repair yourself ask a lot of questions. Don't overheat guide removal and your good, if you do chopstix  

37 mins ago, Lou T said:

For what a builder would charge to strip it, and rebuild it just may be close to a price of the rod.

Call St Croix, they just might take care of it for you.

I will call in and get a expert opinion for you!!!

@levari what would you recommend. Dose the guy have a snowballs chance in hell getting the reels seat replaced???

Good Luck, if you take on the repair yourself ask a lot of questions. Don't overheat guide removal and your good, if you do chopstix  

This rod is the least expensive in the Ben Doerr series. I doubt it had a lifetime warranty and I guess it is about 20 years old. A Local builder can fix it but I would probably buy a new rod. If the guy is in RI, I would recommend the Narrow River custom rod. The owner is honest and good at it.

I just stripped one guide from my primary surf rod. It’s not too bad but I distinctly noted that a rod builder would be crazy to get into the removal stuff just given how long it takes & the likelihood of damaging the blank.

Unless it has some sentimental value.

I'd stop by your local well stocked shop and buy something new.

If it has sentimental value....hang it on the wall and buy something new :)

50 mins ago, scoobydoo said:

Unless it has some sentimental value.

I'd stop by your local well stocked shop and buy something new.

If it has sentimental value....hang it on the wall and buy something new :)

That's were my g Loomis custom surfrods reside. I look at them fondly while working in my shop. I to often thought about refinishing one of them. But, I don't think there's any point to it. At some point you gotta know when to move on...

As others have said, it's pricey when done right. Also, a complete re-do does come with some risk of breaking. 

If you really want it done, don't go the cheap route.

13 hours ago, Jeff B said:

Any recommendations ?

Tanx ;-)

Personally I wouldn't restore it, I would replace the guide and keep fishing it it's cool with his Battle scars it's trials of Life scars and it gleans experience, knowledge and of course Glory!.

To erase it s physical memories attributes and character could cause you to treat it differently and that may not be a good thing also, it could enhance its opportunity to break so I would replace the guide and keep on fishing!

Almost forgot,not sure what kind of seat that rod has but, I'm sure it can be fixed!

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

There's a time to buy new rods, just saying. I've done it on several of my personal builds, and if I were willing to do such things for anyone other than myself it would be prohibitively expensive.