evancanalrat

Scallop View Box

Rate this topic

31 posts in this topic

19 hours ago, west tide said:

Use a tote. Cut out most of  the bottom and glue a sheet acrylic to it

Do you need to add weight to make this work (viewing) or is it OK just sitting on the surface of the water?

14 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

Do you need to add weight to make this work (viewing) or is it OK just sitting on the surface of the water?

No weight needed 

it’s ok as is. If you want it to last longer use 5200 fast cure marine sealant instead of silicone 

I have two “boxes”.  One is a 5 gallon bucket with plexiglass.   I wasn’t thrilled with that one because it has a small viewing area and my neck was getting sore from all the scanning side-to-side. However, it is light and portable, so if I wanted to take it along when I went quahogging, it was no big effort.

The other is a box I made with pine.  It was painted and sealed, so I’m not concerned with the wood getting wet.  It has a cloth shade too, which is really helpful.  The downside is that it’s big, so when I bring that out, I’m committed to scalloping and not quahogging.

38EDF00C-577E-44AA-9158-D9BB47CEFFE4.jpeg

5117DBFC-8269-43A0-BA0F-EF73B7AB4036.jpeg

B1DA90CF-D56E-4433-BE49-AA12FDFBC171.jpeg

DFE8B257-BAB3-4B43-8A15-7F6C9D87672E.jpeg

My scallop story.      Met an old timer while quohogging and got to talking.    Asked me if I scalloped and gave me a few pointers.     I built a look box and gave it a shot when the season opened.      I was not 100% sure how to measure to insure the "0ne inch thick" rule so I asked a guy who was leaving the water at the same time as me . . . he said "Son, the shellfish warden dumps all of these here for us to pick up . . .  they are all legal".       The whole mystique of scalloping wore off.     Haven't done it since    :D

3 hours ago, MakoMike said:

I would think that a 3 or 2&1/2 gallon bucket would be led unwieldy that a 5 gallon bucket?

My issue is that you only have limited viewing are with the bucket.  It causes you to have to move it around more, which is tiresome.  Even my eyes get tired from the constant movement of the bucket scanning the bottom. 

The box is great.  It has a huge viewing area and you can just walk around with that box in front of you.  Easier on the arms and eyes.  It just sucks to lug around on your way to the water (which is about 1/4 mile in my case).

On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 2:05 PM, evancanalrat said:
On ‎11‎/‎21‎/‎2021 at 1:00 PM, ribeye said:

This is my viewing window that I made, love it. Thanks.

HPIM1495.JPG

HPIM1497.JPG

HPIM1502.JPGReamed foam life preserver?

Hey Evan, The ring is what's commonly used to support a shellfish basket. It can handle no more than 25 lbs. including the basket. Not a PFD. I got it at Bennys before they closed. Thanks.

HPIM1384.JPG

On 11/16/2021 at 7:57 PM, bob_G said:

About 15 years ago Ma forum member Shark Lobster made me a really cool view box.  I used it to net thousands of scallops. Unfortunately it now sits in my basement since in Bourne, bay scallops are as rare as hen's teeth.

"bay scallops are as rare as hen's teeth." I did notice this year an increase in numbers claiming :)

Great thread .....it sux if the numbers are dipping and I hope

they return to yesteryear.

I don't have a clue about the status but still curious about aquiring some and 

eating them for personal consumption.   

Kudos to the guys still trying to get yours for dinner.  

On 11/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, Jonesy02719 said:

I have two “boxes”.  One is a 5 gallon bucket with plexiglass.   I wasn’t thrilled with that one because it has a small viewing area and my neck was getting sore from all the scanning side-to-side. However, it is light and portable, so if I wanted to take it along when I went quahogging, it was no big effort.

The other is a box I made with pine.  It was painted and sealed, so I’m not concerned with the wood getting wet.  It has a cloth shade too, which is really helpful.  The downside is that it’s big, so when I bring that out, I’m committed to scalloping and not quahogging.

38EDF00C-577E-44AA-9158-D9BB47CEFFE4.jpeg

5117DBFC-8269-43A0-BA0F-EF73B7AB4036.jpeg

B1DA90CF-D56E-4433-BE49-AA12FDFBC171.jpeg

DFE8B257-BAB3-4B43-8A15-7F6C9D87672E.jpeg

what are the dimensions on this, if you don't mind me asking