klisagar

Abbey & Imbrie Reel

5 posts in this topic

Have had this old Abbey & Imbrie Sea Bright 250 reel for a while and cannot find much information about it.    Looks nice on my desk, but I am wondering if it has any value as a collectible or if it just old.  Seems to be in working order. Appreciate any information. Thanks.61919b58bfddc_AbbeyandImbrieReelfoot.jpg.47a8028c3e27bfc77f1b40362b6324b0.jpg61919b5e3f8b8_AbbeyandImbrieReel.jpg.5f2c33d53366d5a720a35d4d6cd06524.jpg

Posted (edited)

If you looked A&I up you know they used different (some notable) reel makers to build their reels. The 250 is amount of yards of line reel held (common practice). Your reel appears to be all metal and could be older/harder to find then the ones with bakelite sides you see on Flea Bay. Another SOL member might belong to O.R.C.A .and help look it up. The chewed screw heads hurt/kill any value to a collector though . Bubs

Edited by Fishinbubs 1953

Thanks for the response. Reel is all metal with the exception of the wood knob on the handle.  I will see if I get any other responses, but for now will keep it as an adornment on my desk. 

Cool old relic. But old American made reels go back to the early 1800s. So the type you have were mass produced. Even in excellent condition, not worth a whole lot. But a great conversation piece.

I think it was made for abbey and Imbrie to sell. Some of sellers used Jersey town names. Avalon, etc. Like Sea Bright on yours . Pretty cool. Not sure, but I think early Penns did. I forget now. But Penn made their own reels.