MontyZ

Fluid Film. Inside Reels?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Many of you are familiar with Fluid Film as undercoating, but for a variety of tasks it is a great alternative to using WD-40. In the short term WD-40 can be a real help, but in the long term it may not work out so well. That's because WD-40 is hygroscopic and will attract moisture that will result in rust. Fluid Film on the other hand is a lubricant, rust inhibitor, and water displacer without the problems of WD-40.

Years ago a friend who works at an auto parts supply store gave me a little spray can of Fluid Film to use on my car's door locks. Here in Atlantic Canada, Winter is hell on vehicles particularly in cities where they salt the roads to melt/prevent ice like where I live. Even using little bottles of lock deicer will only keep locks working for a short time. Anyway, Fluid Film is a miracle worker on locks and a multitude of other items you want coated and lubed for smooth operation. It's listed as solvent free, non hazardous, acceptable for use in food plants, not water soluble, resists water washout, etc.

I have no experience how Fluid Film might work inside saltwater fishing reels but I suspect there are a few people out there that have tried it. It would be interesting to find out what results it had on their reels.

(BTW I have no affiliation or connection of any sort with either the WD-40 or Fluid Film manufacturers, distributors or retailers.)

Edited by MontyZ

never used "fluid film"

But I will say this.....

External coatings aren't the issue...it's bearings, pivots, shafts, internals that suffer the most.

Many ruin their own reels because they hose them down, which forces the outside acumulation of shmoo....into bearings and internals....

A needle dropper of corrosion x oil and a rag is all you really need.

The last thing I would want ot do is goop up the outside of a reel with anything that would trap sand and debris.

I've been inside roughly 400 reels this year....external surfaces aren't what need protection...maybe where dissimilar metals contact like fasteners and pivots.  

2 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

The last thing I would want ot do is goop up the outside of a reel with anything that would trap sand and debris.

Wow that's a lot of reels!  I was actually wondering if anyone ever used it inside the reel to relube it.  It works wonders on car locks in a very salty environment.

EDIT: With remote keyfobs frozen car door locks are not so much an issue any more.

EDIT2: Sorry Scoobydoo, I wasn't clear in my original title that I meant inside.

Edited by MontyZ

54 mins ago, MontyZ said:

Wow that's a lot of reels!  I was actually wondering if anyone ever used it inside the reel to relube it.  It works wonders on car locks in a very salty environment.

EDIT: With remote keyfobs frozen car door locks are not so much an issue any more.

I would absolutely use fluid film on reels on the inside over Wd40. Wd is a degreaser, fluid is a grease. 

Take the fluid film and paint the inside side plates where salt crystals like to build up.  Some reels have inferior parts like my Shimano Anti reverse bearings, fluid film works for me. I like the brush applicator for reels over the spray. More control. Some bearings can be loaded with fluid film but not the spool bearings on rotating reels, for me. 

WD40 is the last thing I’d use inside a reel. A little synthetic gun oil on the shaft and synthetic grease on the gears. 

This stuff for cleaning. Don’t confuse it with the case lube or you’re in deep poo poo. 

YMMV

62C375E9-B066-46EA-AFAA-F12E34241C93.png

Corrosion X oil

Tsi 321 oil

Aquashield grease

Tef Gel

Tungsten disulfide powder

those four lubricants and protectants have proven themselves 100% reliable and can recommend those without hesitation.

Now that I'm in the game.....I get to see how my methods work in the real world outside of my personal experiences.

I haven't received a single reel back with an issue.  I was cautiously optimistic.

And now I won't hesitate recommending them from everything ranging From BFS (the most sensitive reels imaginable) to offshore tuna trolling winches.

I just did a pair of 50's and an 80.  I look forward to the captains' feedback...

Tef Gel is cool....paint it on with a brush....Rub it in with a finger that way there aren't any ridges to hold water.

Aquashield can be done the same way.  But Tef Gel is less of a mess

For bearings....cut Aquashield with corrosion x oil.....turns into a nice gel...add some Tungsten disulfide to the  mix and that bearing will last forever :)

That's just me.....could fluid film be better....sure...I never used it. 

But Ive used about 50 others extensively...and these stand out.

That said

Any protection is good protection

As long as it's not WD40

Or greasing places that should not touch grease.

5 hours ago, MontyZ said:

EDIT2: Sorry Scoobydoo, I wasn't clear in my original title that I meant inside.

I like to see what makes things tick.....and when things don't tick right anymore I like to find out why, find solutions...and apply them to future designs.

I guess you can say I like ticks.  :)

On 11/13/2021 at 3:24 PM, scoobydoo said:

Many ruin their own reels because they hose them down, which forces the outside acumulation of shmoo

I try to take good care of my equipment.  This quote has me wondering if I'm doing it incorrectly.

After fishing in salt, my general process is light spray with the hose, from a few different angles.  Then dry off the reel with a paper towel (somewhat dry, not crazy) then spray the 'places of movement" with Corrosion X.   

Q:  Is this "Ignorant googan reel maintenance"?

Apologies if this is one of those "it's in another thread, use the search function" situations. That said, if I'm spending time cleaning reels after fishing, I want to do a decent job and not inadvertently damage the reel...

never used "fluid film"

But I will say this.....

External coatings aren't the issue...it's bearings, pivots, shafts, internals that suffer the most.

Many ruin their own reels because they hose them down, which forces the outside acumulation of shmoo....into bearings and internals....

A needle dropper of corrosion x oil and a rag is all you really need.

I've been inside roughly 400 reels this year....external surfaces aren't what need protection...maybe where dissimilar metals contact like fasteners and pivots.  

I mist water spray my Shimano reels with somewhat gentle pressure after fishing saltwater. Do you recommend wiping them rag with little oil instead after each session? I've seen you tube videos most show cleaning with water, but few did show wiping with a rag. 

9 mins ago, Jig It said:

I mist water spray my Shimano reels with somewhat gentle pressure after fishing saltwater. Do you recommend wiping them rag with little oil instead after each session? I've seen you tube videos most show cleaning with water, but few did show wiping with a rag. 

The only time water hits my reels is in the rain. 

In many cases they don't see water even when I tear them down. 

1 hour ago, RP McMurphy said:

I try to take good care of my equipment.  This quote has me wondering if I'm doing it incorrectly.

After fishing in salt, my general process is light spray with the hose, from a few different angles.  Then dry off the reel with a paper towel (somewhat dry, not crazy) then spray the 'places of movement" with Corrosion X.   

Q:  Is this "Ignorant googan reel maintenance"?

Apologies if this is one of those "it's in another thread, use the search function" situations. That said, if I'm spending time cleaning reels after fishing, I want to do a decent job and not inadvertently damage the reel...

It really depends on the reel... Conventional /baitcasters... With AR bearings No hose. 

Without ar bearings or large trolling reels... Light mist.. But I'd rather wipe down with wet rag and oily rag. 

Sealed spinners... Sure... 

Non sealed spinners... I don't. 

Remember if salt is on the reel... Hosing down will move it into crevices, etc and sit until the next trip. 

ln all my fishing since 1950 and from what l can remember l never washed my reels with a water hose l would wipe them down with a wet rag and put a light coating of oil on the outside, l have been at this for a long time even still have my fathers spinning reel from 1949 yes that is the right year, the store held it and he paid it off and picked it up in 1950 times were hard, it was Centure Pacific Half Bail l still take it out a couple of times a year it's built like a VS but with a half bail.

l haven't wounded much from my cleaning process in all the years and if l did l ended back to the tried and proven for me

plain motor oil 1qt and one tub Valvoline red grease which l mix with the oil to my liking.

My reel would get wiped down with a wet rag dry and wiped with a rag that had oil on it that's it. 

lnternal it would get cleaned light coat of oil inside the housing and gears would get red grease.

Both items were around 10 dollars that would last over a year or two. l find no need for any other stuff out there.

lf you don't take time to take care of your reels you might just need all that stuff that is out there.