Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
40shades-of-blue

To late to reseed lawn?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Is is too late to put down some grass seed here in NJ?  Really looking to patch up a bunch of bare spots.  Usually have done it in the spring but looks like the fall is really the best time from what I have been reading.  The price of grass seed is crazy.  At Home depot a 40lb bag $129?  Whoa...I probably don't need that much.

Edited by 40shades-of-blue

Its kinda late now with the lower temps. What doesn’t come up now or freeze, will come up in early spring. Put half your seed down, save half for the spring. 
  Some folks seed late fall/ early winter specifically for spring growth.

49 mins ago, cheech said:

Its kinda late now with the lower temps. What doesn’t come up now or freeze, will come up in early spring. Put half your seed down, save half for the spring. 
  Some folks seed late fall/ early winter specifically for spring growth.

That sounds good. I’ll give that a try. 

You would likely end up doing dormant seeding, since any freeze will force the seed to go dormant until spring warmth awakens them. You can try using a tarp to insulate the seed, but hard frost will push all efforts off until spring and you might lose the new grass that has not grown enough to weather over. I seem to be always overseeding, planning around when lawn needs cutting with the big vacuum machines, so they don't suck up all the seed....

On 11/13/2021 at 7:09 AM, 40shades-of-blue said:

Is is too late to put down some grass seed here in NJ?  Really looking to patch up a bunch of bare spots.  Usually have done it in the spring but looks like the fall is really the best time from what I have been reading.  The price of grass seed is crazy.  At Home depot a 40lb bag $129?  Whoa...I probably don't need that much.

OK yes it kinda late,,,,,,:eek: but annual ryegrass 50lb $50 works 1 dollar a pound tracker supply or perennial ryegrass amozon 7lb $21 that's the only thing you can do at this time ,,,,,,:) put a thin coat of soil over it Walmarket $4.95,,,,good luck my friend,,,,,,:D

20211110_152057.jpg

20211001_171559.jpg

Edited by bennie

I put lots of seed down this year in a few spots and didn't get good results (even with turning the top layer of dirt over).  I then bought soil which I used when I seeded those same spots and got great results.  It would have been cheaper to buy soil w/the seed the 1st time and spread a thin layer - lesson learned.

I didn't know anything about grass 8 mouths ago I youtub it hard,,,,,:wag: and they don't tell the tricks,,,,,:kiss: the best thing ever is to put a 1/4 or 1/2 of pottery soil over your seed and fertilizer 10-10-10 ot bone meal,,,,,,:wee: or soybean and anything ordinary,,,,,,:) and mieclel grow only last 2 weeks,,,,,:hippie: so 10-10-10 mieclel grow and bone meal and to top it off iron to kick the flavor,,,,,,,,,:D

If I was seedibg now I would wait until last of winter and try to put some under the last snow fall, so when the snow melts the seed starts to sink in the soil...i think thats a better chance than doing it now and it goes dormant

De thatch in April.

Apply good quality seed.

1/8 inch of peat moss

Top soil

More peat moss.

Water initially it a liquid starter fertier.

Keep it wet, multiple waterings a day. Early am, through the day and dusk.

The peat takes a few solid waterings to absorb the water but it holds the water and keeps the seed warm which it needs to grow.

If it dries out, even one time the little roots will die and your done.

Prep the soil and keep it wet.

I like Scott's products, the blue seeds.

Costco or BJs has it in the spring cheaper than big box stores but sometimes the box stores run spring specials.

Good luck, it's not hard just time consuming