Heavy Hooksetter

Self built/made lure bags,,

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

Me needs a Flatlander me thinks. I better get out and start hunting for empty bottles and cans . Monday morning is usually pretty good after the weekend drinking and driving fun. So it should be only a few months and I’ll have enough saved up. This retirement and the fixed income thing ain’t all it’s cracked up to be. Maybe a go fund me page , like go fund my Flatlander bag page. Yea good idea me thinks

When I was a kid we used army surplus gas mack bags, they were about .25 cents to .50 cents in the early 60's. Worked finr after you adjusted the strap. There wer alot of army and navy stores in L.I. then.

Edited by hunter123

14 mins ago, hunter123 said:

When I was a kid we used army surplus gas mack bags, they were about .25 cents to .50 cents in the early 60's. Worked finr after you adjusted the strap. There wer alot of army and navy stores in L.I. then.

Pics ? Got ant pics from backintheday ? That would be cool. 

No I don't. That was many winters ago. We used the WW2 and Korean war bags, think they were the same.  The one we use now should work also. They were made out of heavy duty canvas, but the treads didn't hold up to saltwater . They lasted a few years. In the 70's before they came out with custom made bags, we would use a trout fishing creel, it worked pretty good untill we started to carry way to much stuff in the bags.lol 

1 hour ago, hunter123 said:

Me too.  Used those things for tackle bags, school book bag, camping gear, tool bag....... Lots of uses.

All that surplus stuff had the same very distinctive smell , weather a canvas bag or those big tents and stackable cots . The places that are still in business don’t have the same old stuff anymore , most is foreign now I’ve noticed. 

32 mins ago, Dan Tinman said:

Me too.  Used those things for tackle bags, school book bag, camping gear, tool bag....... Lots of uses.

Just like theM1 helmet. The helmet of 1,000 uses.lol

32 mins ago, Chalkdust said:

Green one from army navy store early 70s. 2.00$. Black from Army Barracks in Scarborough recently. 10.00$

19614087-654B-434B-AA65-86592B96881B.jpeg

Got a couple like the green one on the left.  They were from water purification kits if I remember right.  Good bags.  Simple, rugged and you didn't have to take out a home equity loan to get them.

18 mins ago, LB said:

My homemade surf bag made three of them one for me and one for my other two sons that fish, they were made from a patio umbrella that was laying on the side of the road, l cut the webbing off the frame, and when l had the time sewed it int a bag, that was over 25 years ago and still going strong shoulder strap was made from car seat belts.

lt's starting to show its age like me went north of 79 in Oct. what was nice about the surf bag was that the water would drain right out l had to have a bag that would do that at that time l was fishing in wast high water most of the time.

And l still have two army gas masks that l set up for large plugs.

0401171108.jpg

0401171109.jpg

0401171109a.jpg

I love this surf bag. Thanks for sharing!