brucelieb

MTK rocks

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

I have boot waders. I fish the beach on the east end ocean.. I have  go to a few  particular MTk coves but my old feet hurt. It is no big deal.

I can't seem to feel comfortable on the north side so I never go cause  slipping and sliding with my boot waders. What do I need? Whats best? 

Felt? boot? boot with corkers? what should I buy?

Korker cleats, best option out there. You can also get spikes and drill them into your boots, but I haven’t found anything else out there as grippy as the korker cleats.

Edited by C.Robin

2 mins ago, C.Robin said:

Korker cleats, best option out there. You can also get spikes and drill them into your boot doors, but I haven’t found anything else out there as grippy as the korker cleats.

Thanks ! that was east,,,any particular model? Once I get them do you hike  around with em or do u just use them to get into and out of the water.

2 mins ago, brucelieb said:

Thanks ! that was east,,,any particular model? Once I get them do you hike  around with em or do u just use them to get into and out of the water.

I have the castrax. I put them on once I get to dirt/sand, don’t want to wear them out walking in a parking lot or something. Some people strap them to their belt and wait until they’re at the water to put them on, I don’t think that’s necessary.

LB- those are corker? a specific model? Pos: This method I can use my boot waders. I'm not real comfortable screwing anything into the bottom of the boot.  Otherwise I would have to go with new stocking foot waders and some shoe/boots. This is sure the easiest entry into this rock walking stuff. 

Right now I have no issue going from my truck to the water while on the beach but when I did hike a few times into the coves my boot waders HURT like hell...It was always tough going...  so it is interesting how you all handle this issue. My goal is to  walk away from the crowd -I'll fish NorthBar occasionally  but are these ok to hike with? I guess I could carry them until I'm ready to fish. 

Wouldn't recommend walking with the korker cleats on especially in the Montauk south side. Just clip them together and sling them over your shoulder and walk until you find a section you want to wade out on then put them on. Silence is key when fishing the southside especially at night and walking over rocks with korkers on makes it sound like you've got bubble wrap in your boots. What boot foot waders do you have? I found that some of the cheaper PVC ones have really flimsy boots almost like a rubber sock with no real sole and will hurt your feet bad after walking around and Montauk southside is one of the worst walks on the island.

49 mins ago, Inception said:

Wouldn't recommend walking with the korker cleats on especially in the Montauk south side. Just clip them together and sling them over your shoulder and walk until you find a section you want to wade out on then put them on. Silence is key when fishing the southside especially at night and walking over rocks with korkers on makes it sound like you've got bubble wrap in your boots. What boot foot waders do you have? I found that some of the cheaper PVC ones have really flimsy boots almost like a rubber sock with no real sole and will hurt your feet bad after walking around and Montauk southside is one of the worst walks on the island.

I surfed the place for 40 years... my knees  and screwed up toes know, love and hate  the place ha ha.

I got some Frog togs and a few cabella boot waders. thanks for the intel it makes perfect sense ...duh... walk in and put em on to fish.. I feel pretty stupid for even asking the question . I guess I figured you all would know the best solution. Even stocking and boot for walking or the addition of the corker things.   I managed to survive with my boots until northbar. That place shut me down. Got to have something

21 mins ago, brucelieb said:

LB- those are corker?

No, they are homemade l made my first pair in 1960, to me there better than corker, when l live in Brooklyn we call them creepers one small tackle shop would also make them on a custom order, bring in your boots and he would take the outline of your boot sole and make them up within a week or two if he had all the material, there not that heavy, my boots with felt soles weigh more when they get wet.

34 mins ago, brucelieb said:

Right now I have no issue going from my truck to the water while on the beach but when I did hike a few times into the coves my boot waders HURT like hell...It was always tough going.

l don't know why are having so much with your boots on long trips, in my younger days l would walk the beaches and hit one jetty then the other and have to make the round trip never a boot problem unless a sock got pulled down, always bought insulted boot foot they were better padded and to me felt more comfortable, was the problem from where the boot was glued to the leg part of the boot?

Here you go your winter project if you need more info give me a buzz.

You don't need much skill, some basic tools, and you could make your own, thin SS sheet metal BBQ grill cover or a trip to the junkyard, harden sheet metal screws, parkerzed speed nuts, thin truck mud flaps with webbing or conveyor belting.

Drill, drill bits, metal shears.

D loops were made from #12 or heavier copper elec. wire and ends soldiered together

Dog nylon collar would do for strapping would last longer than leather.

Pan head screws, speed nuts McMaster Carr, or a good hardware store.

SS sheet metal on more than .035 little less is OK.

10 mins ago, LB said:

No, they are homemade l made my first pair in 1960, to me there better than corker, when l live in Brooklyn we call them creepers one small tackle shop would also make them on a custom order, bring in your boots and he would take the outline of your boot sole and make them up within a week or two if he had all the material, there not that heavy, my boots with felt soles weigh more when they get wet.

l don't know why are having so much with your boots on long trips, in my younger days l would walk the beaches and hit one jetty then the other and have to make the round trip never a boot problem unless a sock got pulled down, always bought insulted boot foot they were better padded and to me felt more comfortable, was the problem from where the boot was glued to the leg part of the boot?

Here you go your winter project if you need more info give me a buzz.

You don't need much skill, some basic tools, and you could make your own, thin SS sheet metal BBQ grill cover or a trip to the junkyard, harden sheet metal screws, parkerzed speed nuts, thin truck mud flaps with webbing or conveyor belting.

Drill, drill bits, metal shears.

D loops were made from #12 or heavier copper elec. wire and ends soldiered together

Dog nylon collar would do for strapping would last longer than leather.

Pan head screws, speed nuts McMaster Carr, or a good hardware store.

SS sheet metal on more than .035 little less is OK.

Ever have any luck with stainless steel hex nuts for the bottom of the creepers? I was going to 3D print my own out of TPU since my current korker cleats are giving me a major hassle when I try to replace the carbide spikes. I figure with the massive printer I just bought I can print my own and make it completely modular with hex nuts and bolts to secure them down. No more flimsy loose threads that you cant replace once they go loose. I pitched the idea to @t_man7 that I would eventually modify them into swim fins once I get off my ass to designing them.

Edited by Inception