JerseyMike609

ODM Genesis

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, JerseyMike609 said:

Looking at the 10ft ODM Genesis,Does anyone have it? How do you like yours and will it punch a lure into the wind?

I like my 10 foot ODM Genesis II very much. It is an improvement over the original series in cosmetics & weight … marginally, not radically. A bit more refined. The rod’s bend is primarily in the upper half of this two piece 50 / 50 split surf rod.

 

Punching through the wind will be as much a function of the lure used as the rod being the tool. This rod has a nice lure weight range with 2.5 ounces the sweet spot IMO. You would have no problem casting a super strike little neck popper on a windy day. Metals would be great as well. But if you want to cast a Doc Musky Spook, You’ll be at the mercy of the wind.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, KironaFly said:

I like my 10 foot ODM Genesis II very much. It is an improvement over the original series in cosmetics & weight … marginally, not radically. A bit more refined. The rod’s bend is primarily in the upper half of this two piece 50 / 50 split surf rod.

 

Punching through the wind will be as much a function of the lure used as the rod being the tool. This rod has a nice lure weight range with 2.5 ounces the sweet spot IMO. You would have no problem casting a super strike little neck popper on a windy day. Metals would be great as well. But if you want to cast a Doc Musky Spook, You’ll be at the mercy of the wind.

 

 

Is the rod able to lift fish - say up to 5 lbs onto a jetty or rock perch? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have the previous Gen 10'. Super versatile in it's weight range but I reach for beefier sticks in arsenal if I know for sure I'll be fighting wind.

 

What's impressive about it is the ability to get good distance from about 5/8oz up to 2.5... not the stick for throwing over 3 oz regularly imo.

 

I think it's most at home as a plugging rod in the 1.25-2.5 range... good for metals too but more so if you use trebles vs. singles... I'd personally prefer something faster to work metals and drive home single hook sets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DZ said:

Darn things have been back ordered since June.  

And SWE has had some recent decent in store rod sales going on. My nephew got two rods for me there at about a third off. But you can’t buy what’s not in the rod rack. :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, KironaFly said:

And SWE has had some recent decent in store rod sales going on. My nephew got two rods for me there at about a third off. But you can’t buy what’s not in the rod rack. :(

I've been waiting.  ODM mentioned Sept, then late Sept, then mid Oct, then late Oct.  Now mid November and still not available. I suspect they are in a container ship somewhere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 mins ago, DZ said:

Is the rod able to lift fish - say up to 5 lbs onto a jetty or rock perch? 

A dead lift? I don’t do that … but yeah it will handle it but not more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, KironaFly said:

A dead lift? I don’t do that … but yeah it will handle it but not more.

Thanks.  Thinking Newport Cliff Walk, Beavertail, Narragansett shore areas, Breachways.  Most of these areas require a dead lift of a fish to safely land small bass or tautog.  Just wondering if the rod can handle that task. 
Thanks for your input.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 mins ago, DZ said:

Thanks.  Thinking Newport Cliff Walk, Beavertail, Narragansett shore areas, Breachways.  Most of these areas require a dead lift of a fish to safely land small bass or tautog.  Just wondering if the rod can handle that task. 
Thanks for your input.

I would not try it either. The rod in the pic is the Genesis 2021 11’  and the bag is a 5lb bag.  A little more pressure and the rod will break.

Those rods are perfect for open beaches. I own the 8’, 9’ and 11’(3/4-4). I caught at ease over 25 Albies and Bonitos on the 8’ and 9’ with fully close drag in addition to many blues in the 10-12lb.

Many fish on the 11’ but none too big to be proud of.

 

When I swim I take my Legend..

 

 

 

28BE5279-4A23-45E1-B3D6-DA24D4232C27.jpeg

Edited by levari

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 mins ago, levari said:

I would not try it either. The rod in the pic is the Genesis 2021 11’  and the bag is a 5lb bag.  A little more pressure and the rod will break.

Those rods are perfect for open beaches. I own the 8’, 9’ and 11’(3/4-4). I caught at ease over 25 Albies and Bonitos on the 8’ and 9’ with fully close drag in addition to many blues in the 10-12lb.

Many fish on the 11’ but none too big to be proud of.

 

When I swim I take my Legend..

 

 

 

28BE5279-4A23-45E1-B3D6-DA24D4232C27.jpeg

Thanks for this.  Just might have to stick with my old lamis.  Unless I can get a good free replacement warranty from the rep.  I’m not much of a sand beach caster as we just don’t have much of that easy structure locally.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DZ said:

Thanks for this.  Just might have to stick with my old lamis.  Unless I can get a good free replacement warranty from the rep.  I’m not much of a sand beach caster as we just don’t have much of that easy structure locally.  

So you’ve touched upon other aspects of rods ( utilitarian virtues / goodness) one should consider when buying. I have a custom graphite Lamiglas (not sure of the exact model / spec) that is a 9.5ft long 50 / 50 split two piece that can throw up to 3 oz lures well. 
 

I could / would lift Schooligans with that older rod … it bends , flexes differently … is coated with an older technology resin. In all a more “rugged” type rod. The Tsunami Airwave Elites are equivalent in design while being newer and lighter. I like and have those rods.

 

But I have no regrets buying and using the ODM rods (DNA & Genesis) … I just use them conscious of their strengths & weaknesses. They’re nice units.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.