West end outfall pipe issue still looms

Rate this topic

bob_G

15 mins ago, z-man said:

Something else to add to the conversation is look how many lakes had poor water quality due to nearby house septic systems. Once a municipal sewer is provided for the surrounding neighborhoods the water quality drastically improves. 

Right you are Z.

Right here in Bourne we have an area called Four Ponds Conservation Area, known locally as Tuttle's Ponds.

These ponds were a well kept secret. They were home to what was possibly the last natural reproducing brown trout in Ma. Certainly the last on Cape Cod.

All four ponds contained wild brown trout up the several pounds. Ma F&W did a shock survey there in the early 90s and found trout in all four ponds, and juvenile browns in the connecting stream. I was there training my dogs when I met Ed Krause from Ma F&W conducting the survey.

I personally caught many beautiful, hook jawed browns there. When we first moved here the water was gin clear. Pristine spring fed ponds leading into the Pocasset River. But nitrogen seeped into the water table, causing out if control algae growth, literally suffocating the pond.  Then several families of swans moved in, having cygnets each year, to administer the coup de gras.  End result, no more trout.

Edited by bob_G

The Sultan of Sluggo

50 mins ago, mikez2 said:

I know I'm not supposed to be here but I felt bad that your efforts were being ignored. Just wanted to say I read the attachments and I commend you for your valiant, if vain effort to be a voice of reason, supported by reputable sources.

A lot of good information in the links and a lot of irony. 

Pretty much all the points made by the opponents are addressed. Nitrogen, algae blooms, eelgrass and shellfish for example. 

The irony being that the regional WWTF project (which includes the pipe) would actually improve water quality and help elleveiate those concerns.

Those that claim to care so much about eelgrass and shellfish etc are actually hindering their own cause by opposing the project. 

Maybe the biggest irony of all is that the most vocal critics of the project actually currently are the ones who are putting nitrogen into the waters in question. 

Apparently their nitrogen is OK, just nobody else's. 

As far as your question about whether both sides of the argument has been presented, you need only scroll back 20 pages in this thread to see how effective it is to get the opponents to look at both sides of the argument. :banghd::banghd::banghd:

Oh I wasn’t expecting a response, It’s been made clear that I don’t have enough internet cool points or stripersonline.com street cred to be dignified with a response. It’s cool though, each post that I make ticks up that counter and makes me that much closer to being relevant.

Im kind of getting used to the echo chamber of misinformation and abuse of power, gives the forum a nice warm, inviting feel.

22 mins ago, MrJingles said:

Oh I wasn’t expecting a response, It’s been made clear that I don’t have enough internet cool points or stripersonline.com street cred to be dignified with a response. It’s cool though, each post that I make ticks up that counter and makes me that much closer to being relevant.

Im kind of getting used to the echo chamber of misinformation and abuse of power, gives the forum a nice warm, inviting feel.

You feeling the sol love ? And i dont mean stripers online.

The map above puts the outfall pipe in the middle of four oyster farms.   I’m not always right but…. I’m thinking there is only one outfall pipe on Wareham’s water treatment plant and it is located in the Agawam river about a half mile to the right of M&Ds and next to the plant.  The plant processes a little over 1.5 million gallons a day releasing it into the river that the experts say is Max’d out.  The plant is at near capacity (70 something %) and Wareham tried to put a moratorium on new sewer hookups.  If the 80% threshold is hit the DEP takes the decision making process away from the town.  The capacity of the Wareham plant is way over committed.  I’ve read that some of Marion, Buzzards Bay and some of Plymouth factor into those 12000 additional sewer hookups and account for the additional two million gallons of water release that would hypothetically reduce the amount of nitrogen that leeches into the bay.  I use the word “hypothetical” because the new outflow pipe needs to be laid, most likely parallel to the railroad tracks and 100’ deep.  Then sewer lines need to be constructed in those communities deemed to come online.  This can take years depending on whether the communities welcome the sewer or decide to fight it.  This is far from a “shovel ready” project and probably won’t be seeing any of that 1.75 trillion… well maybe additional studies will get some of that money.   

ps.

1) Why don’t they replant some of those quahogs from the canal?

2) I just saw Kyler’s has Nantucket Bay scallops for $46 a lb. It brings a tear to my eye.  I can’t even find a scallop shell on the beach.

21 hours ago, Plug and teaser said:

LOL...I have never met either gentleman, but I did wave to bob once across a parking lot. I believe it was at the East End and he was packing up after a surf clam outing after a storm......Ditch was talking with him I believe.:)

Yes Bob was answering Mike, that's how conversations work. Then Mike answered Bob.

Geez, that had to be 10-15 years ago. :laugh: 

"…if catching fish is your only objective, you are either new to the game or too narrowly focused on measurable results.” - D. Stuver

14 mins ago, liambrouillette said:

Haven't read too deeply into this canal pipe, but where I live when it rains millions of gallons untreated raw sewage get dumped into a river. Will this be possible with this pipe ? it doesn't even take that much rain for them to dump a lot of sewage.

What river is that- that sounds like a problem  that happens in 3rd world countries.  Certainly not in Massachusetts.  

Just now, bob_G said:

Please read post #288, you might change your mind.

Bob…. Millions of gallons when it rains?  You  do realize the deer island treatment facility doesn’t put out millions of gallons of raw sewage when it rains.  The plant in wareham isn’t even tied to storm drains and as such isn’t even effected by rain.  Do some homework, educate yourself, and don’t be blinded by facts that don’t support your agenda.

Where is the the plant on buttermilk bay?  I can’t seem to locate it with google maps.  I see a little pump house but that it.  I do know that there are shellfish grants and oyster farms throughout the bay so it can not be a significant discharge.