631dean

Wtb zeebaas 22

21 posts in this topic

6 mins ago, DaveC said:

Dean, you bought this reel for 720 and sold it the next day for 1200. Doesn't seem like this site is the right fit for you, honestly. This is not me speaking as a moderator, either. This is my opinion as someone who has been a part of this community for 22 years. I would ask that you rethink your position here.

I did not sell the reel . I received multiple pms once I posted a picture of the reel on a group. I then decided maybe I will entertain offers ? I am not sure what the issue is here. 

On 11/13/2021 at 6:21 AM, jk20a3 said:

A lot of people chiming in, you see what he paid for it...an items worth is only what another is actually willing to pay, nothing wrong with a fair deal. I see people list things for the so called "worth" and they sit on the big bidding site for months with out one bid. 

Well we see how this turned out. Too bad textile had no idea what he had.

I have no dog in this fight since I responded to a WTB thread, sold the reel, got paid (no more than I paid for it here), and have no further say in what the new owner does with that reel.   

I will say that messaging me after the fact that I underpriced the reel [sending the message after the deal is struck] or that the buyer might profit somehow [after it is no longer my reel anyway] assumes that I will be unhappy at the good fortune of others who are luckier or more skillful at negotiation than I am.  I assure you that I am not harmed by or resentful of the success of others.    If you watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS, we all cheer for the person who paid $20 at a yard sale for a table which turns out to be a rare Federal period antique worth a quarter million.  No one sees that show as an opportunity to mock the yard sale operator who just wanted the junk in the garage gone and was happy to unload it for $20. 

Edited by midwestexile
Details.

13 mins ago, midwestexile said:

I have no dog in this fight since I responded to a WTB thread, sold the reel, got paid (no more than I paid for it here), and have no further say in what the new owner does with that reel.   

I will say that messaging me after the fact that I underpriced the reel [sending the message after the deal is struck] or that the buyer might profit somehow [after it is no longer my reel anyway] assumes that I will be unhappy at the good fortune of others who are luckier or more skillful at negotiation than I am.  I assure you that I am not harmed by or resentful of the success of others.    If you watch Antiques Roadshow on PBS, we all cheer for the person who paid $20 at a yard sale for a table which turns out to be a rare Federal period antique worth a quarter million.  No one sees that show as an opportunity to mock the yard sale operator who just wanted the junk in the garage gone and was happy to unload it for $20. 

It’s not like you listed it and he bought it. He asked for one and you posted to help him out. That’s the difference. I think it’s admirable that you take this stance and it shows what a good guy you are. It is hard to convince others that he didn’t come here to buy something to turn a profit the next day, that’s all. It would be totally different if you listed it for sale, in my opinion.

2 hours ago, 631dean said:

I did not sell the reel . I received multiple pms once I posted a picture of the reel on a group. I then decided maybe I will entertain offers ? I am not sure what the issue is here. 

That’s not how it happened. You posted a for sale yesterday in that group for 1200 dollars. You didn’t post a picture and then receive pms. It’s all there in print on the page. In any event, I am locking this down. You got the point even though you may not see the wrongdoing here. The point is that members here are members elsewhere and when they say someone getting exploited they’re calling you out. It was reported to the staff here. 

19 hours ago, 631dean said:

You asked for a reel - someone provided you with one, as a fellow member of this community…then you turned around and offered it for sale at $500 profit.  That’s not what this place is about, if you want to run some kind of business, go somewhere else. Based on your 16 posts, it’s pretty clear you have no intention of becoming part of this community. If you aren’t going to be part of this community you won’t be welcome to use this forum.