FFSmasher

Newbie here

18 posts in this topic

Friend of mine introduced me to surf fishing a few years ago and I'm hooked. We're going to purchase Mirage Pro Angler 14's w/360 drives to expand on this hobby. I have a few questions I was hoping someone experienced would chime in. 

We're going to be fishing primarily just north of Boston in the Revere\Winthrop area with some freshwater thrown into the mix.

We're planning on purchasing...

Fish finders / chart plotters w/ GPS

PFD

Marine VHF radio

Is there anything absolutely crucial I am missing from this list?

Do you wear a tether in case you fall out of the yak?

Any recommendation on the screen size of the fish finder? Is bigger better on a yak when space is precious?

Appreciate any information. Thank you!

Try not to go overboard on purchasing accessories until you've been out a few times. 

Bigger is better for storage but the tradeoff is weight. Which translates to ease of setup and teardown. 

I don't think there's a hobbie on the market that you would need a leash for. If you're falling in the water, you're out in conditions that you shouldn't be out in. 

You can buy tethers for your rods but ide test it out a time or two before you make that decision. Many of us don't bother with that. Some do.

Your plans for purchase look good. Chart plotter, vhf and pfd are all essential.

Edited by EricM

I'll take some crap for this, there's plenty of happy PA-14 anglers out there, but I'll just say you should demo some smaller boats before you buy. Bigger is not necessary better. There's even 14' boats that weigh a lot less than a PA, but are lighter to handle both in and out of the water. This is a boat that was really designed for bass ponds not the salt. Few US boats are designed for salt, but some come closer than that. Remember, you're propelling this, every pound you add is a pound you must move! When you get out in wind and current this becomes important! And that wide PA is not necessarily more stable than a smaller, faster, narrower boat.

Don't forget a paddle in case your drive fails.  Like stated above, demo first (Hobies are a lot of money), and once you made your decision/purchase, only take the bare necessities for the first few times.  You'll figure out what you may or may not need.  K.I.S.S.

I use a budget kayak for both FW and SW, but I know my limitations. 

Edited by Skunkoff

2 hours ago, FFSmasher said:

Friend of mine introduced me to surf fishing a few years ago and I'm hooked. We're going to purchase Mirage Pro Angler 14's w/360 drives to expand on this hobby. I have a few questions I was hoping someone experienced would chime in. 

We're going to be fishing primarily just north of Boston in the Revere\Winthrop area with some freshwater thrown into the mix.

We're planning on purchasing...

Fish finders / chart plotters w/ GPS

PFD

Marine VHF radio

Is there anything absolutely crucial I am missing from this list?

Do you wear a tether in case you fall out of the yak?

Any recommendation on the screen size of the fish finder? Is bigger better on a yak when space is precious?

Appreciate any information. Thank you!

Absolutely agree on rethinking the PA 14 purchase. I know the Revere/Winthrop/Nahant waters and up to the North Shore area and you don't need the PA 14 with 360 to fish it. The Majority are in the Revo 13 or 16. I have both. If you told us you were 6'4" 300 plus than I would understand it. Good luck.

Consider a Hobie Compass ... I'm 6-2, 260, fit's me great. It's a nice stable platform ... I'll put it up with an Outback, which is considered my sea worthy than the PA. Compass is lighter than the Outback but is much more spartan in regards to the features.

You also might want to look at the Old Town PDLs ... 

There are a bunch of other items you'll want/need for ANY kayak ... search this forum for lists

The PA14 is a lot of boat, not really that conducive to spur of the moment sessions … aircraft carrier vs destroyer … each have their strengths and weaknesses. Try them out if possible, and ideally for longer than a 5 min peddle. Good luck

On 11/10/2021 at 6:52 AM, FFSmasher said:

I’m 6'2 290 LBs

Are you recommending to re-think it based on the price point?

Price, functionality, and convenience all play a roll in kayak fishing.  The simpler the better, without subtracting necessities you may think you need.  For instance a fish finder on a kayak doesn't need to be a TV.  The beauty of kayak fishing is accessing places where boats can't get to.  And a kayak you can fit in the back of a pickup or car top makes it more convenient when you just want to throw it in the water and go.  I've never tried a PA but they're like miniature barges.

Edited by Skunkoff

On 11/9/2021 at 9:08 PM, The Riddler said:

Absolutely agree on rethinking the PA 14 purchase. I know the Revere/Winthrop/Nahant waters and up to the North Shore area and you don't need the PA 14 with 360 to fish it. The Majority are in the Revo 13 or 16. I have both. If you told us you were 6'4" 300 plus than I would understand it. Good luck.

The OP didn't quote you so I'll help out and ping you. He's nearly the size you said! I know you've owned or pedaled a lot of the prop boats, is there one you would recommend for a dude this big?

On 11/10/2021 at 6:52 AM, FFSmasher said:

I’m 6'2 290 LBs

Are you recommending to re-think it based on the price point?

No. Only you can answer price. I was thinking about Angler Size, gear vs. size of boat and where you want to fish and if you can save some cash good for the consumer. You are on the larger side of what we see in Revo but may feel better in the 16. The 360 is nice to have but we see more moving parts and more problems in a reliable 

Hobie drive. The consensus of the board, is the GT Drive Reliability over other drives in the Hobie Line up. 

Thanks everyone for the opinions and advice.

My heart is set on the PA 14. From what I've seen \ read on the web it seems they make yearly improvements to the 360 drive. People say that once they get the 360 it's hard to go without it. Hopefully the 2021 version has less issues than past versions. When purchasing new it also comes with a 3 year warranty. 

My original post was really directed towards crucial gear that you would consider required that I overlooked. The formatting didn't hold up when I posted it and it appeared like I was asking about yak size when in fact I was inquiring about the fish finder screen size.

With that said, I think I'm going for the Lowrance Elite FS w/ a 7 inch screen and the 3-in-1 transducer. Seems like the simple option considering the Hobie is ready to go out of the box for the Lowrance units.

My opinion on FF size is not relevant to you, I paddle, and like the FF close so I can play with the buttons to change the views, so it's a 4" between my knees.

I know your heart is set on a PA14, but I recommend you try a self rescue in it before you buy. Like flip it over in water over your head, then flip it right side up, and re-enter. The ability to self rescue is a major reason many of us are in sit-on-tops. And in sloppy conditions even a companion's ability to help without risking capsize themselves is limited.

I made this checklist for myself, but have posted it for newby inquiries like yours a bunch of times. 

5f99d1e15f641_kayaklist2.PNG.0dff5144121f5ace8c83e73b34cbcafd.PNG

5 hours ago, FFSmasher said:

Thanks everyone for the opinions and advice.

My heart is set on the PA 14. From what I've seen \ read on the web it seems they make yearly improvements to the 360 drive. People say that once they get the 360 it's hard to go without it. Hopefully the 2021 version has less issues than past versions. When purchasing new it also comes with a 3 year warranty. 

My original post was really directed towards crucial gear that you would consider required that I overlooked. The formatting didn't hold up when I posted it and it appeared like I was asking about yak size when in fact I was inquiring about the fish finder screen size.

With that said, I think I'm going for the Lowrance Elite FS w/ a 7 inch screen and the 3-in-1 transducer. Seems like the simple option considering the Hobie is ready to go out of the box for the Lowrance units.

7" helix mounted on a Revo 16 and Revo 13 sailing mast works for me. I need reading glasses but still fine to see for me. I know others who use glasses and prefer the bigger screens 10-12" size. On side imaging it does help. 

Good luck and if gear choice or platforms do not work out you dump it and try something else. Have fun.