Norm Zeigler's Fly Shop on Sanibel

Rate this topic

BrianBM

Alas! Woe! Norm's Fly Shop is closed, gone, defunct.

Whitney's is trying to fill that space, in several senses. It's carrying a broad assortment of fly rods and reels, for sale and rent, and flies and lines. Not much tying stuff. Per gossip at that store, Norm broke his hip and is currently in rehab, and Whitney's is trying to take over Norm's old space and re-establish their own fly shop there. Whitney's own boat (a bay boat type hull) is set up for fly fishing (no arch or Bimini top or anything else that that might intrude on fly casting) and I expect he knows what he's doing.

So, who is now the go-to fly shop in SW Florida?

Sorry to hear that it has closed. I was in the shop in June and that day his wife was in the shop. I hear about and see people using his signature fly the “schminnow” wherever I go!

I have been to the 239 Flies shop a few times (in Bonita springs). The shop is well stocked, and run by knowledgeable staff. It appears that they are continuing to add new programs such as fly tying and casting demos to their programs.

I was there in July and spoke with his wife.  I guess Norm has Parkinson's, and really isn't around much anymore.  Whitney's has some basic stuff, but virtually no tying materials.

239 Flies in Bonita Springs or West Wall Outfitters up in Port Charlotte are probably your best options.

3 hours ago, JCH said:

I was there in July and spoke with his wife.  I guess Norm has Parkinson's, and really isn't around much anymore.  Whitney's has some basic stuff, but virtually no tying materials.

239 Flies in Bonita Springs or West Wall Outfitters up in Port Charlotte are probably your best options.

West Wall is closed, or at least left their spot off rt 41.

• 4 weeks later...

That stinks.. I was at Norm's shop in April when visiting my in-laws and met his wife.

I can vouch for 239 Files though, lots of good gear, tons of tying materials and fun stuff. Good guys in there as well! Will be visiting again this coming April.

On 11/9/2021 at 4:12 PM, BrianBM said:

Alas! Woe! Norm's Fly Shop is closed, gone, defunct.

Whitney's is trying to fill that space, in several senses. It's carrying a broad assortment of fly rods and reels, for sale and rent, and flies and lines. Not much tying stuff. Per gossip at that store, Norm broke his hip and is currently in rehab, and Whitney's is trying to take over Norm's old space and re-establish their own fly shop there. Whitney's own boat (a bay boat type hull) is set up for fly fishing (no arch or Bimini top or anything else that that might intrude on fly casting) and I expect he knows what he's doing.

So, who is now the go-to fly shop in SW Florida? 

It's a bit north, but if you're in the Sarasota area, Compound Boardshop has a great fly-fishing section. I know they carry Nautilus and Hatch reels amongst others, as well as a great selection of flies and fly tying materials. 

Edited by Tamale

On 10-11-2021 at 2:20 AM, JEFFSOD said:

There are two I know of; Mangrove Outfitters and 239 Flies.

Very sorry to hear about Norm's shop. I always stopped in when visiting Sanibel. I have a collection of the Sanibel Fly Fishers t-shirts from Norm's.

Mangrove outfitters is good ... went there a couple of times after the Orvis store closed in Naples.

I went their with a friend of mine who worked part time in the store and mentioned that I used

to visit the Orvis store (that store was 50/50 apparel/flyfishing stuff.

Can still remember the remark of Tom Shadley "The only ladies you find here a naked" 

referring to the large clothing-gift section at the Orvis store.

And if the store´s owner offers you a nice cold beer you are ok in my book :-)