dreyko

Tfo esox 10wt first impressions

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

I ordered this rod to help me cast into the wind on the outerbanks. While I haven't been out there since getting the rod, i have had a chance to cast it around my local pond.

Its a beautiful rod, i love the extended cork on this rod and the extended butt section.

I had a little trouble casting this rod at first; possibly because it is my first #10, and possibly because its built on the mangrove blank. I really had to slow my casts way down compared to my ticr.

I feel like my line selection isnt the best, I am using a older version Orvis striper intermediate 10wt. Its supposed to be 380gr, but I pulled off 30ft and weighed it at 325gr. Maybe the taper doesn't work for me and maybe the lines too light, in any case my casts are about 10-15ft short of my 8wt ticr with orvis saltwater all arounder pro on it.

However my first day fishing with it my second fish was a Chain Pickerel, maybe not a big deal to anyone else, but its my first Pickerel, and my first member of the Esox family. I guess they call the rod "ESOX" for a reason.

Can't wait to get out to the coast!

20211106_170558.jpg

20211106_170556.jpg

Edited by dreyko
Pics or it didn't happen

Most likely it was the rod and line match up that limited your casting, but a couple of other aspects may have played a part.  The Esox rod as I understand it is a moderate action rod with a lot of power down lower on the blank.  Goal in this rod's design is for chucking really large flies, often from a boat, and fighting really stupidly large fish that thrash around a lot (i.e. pike, musky, etc,,,).  The rod is overbuilt for a reason.  Not really a quick and nimble distance rod, per se.  And if this is your first outing with it, you probably have not had time to adjust your casting to match a slower rod -- much slower compared to the TiCr.  To get equivalent distances with this rod, vs. your TiCr 8wt, you will need to use a perfectly matched line, and you will need to adjust your casting, i.e., slow down and let the rod's butt section engage and do it's thing.  Also, extend your casting arc.  This is not a tip action, fast rod like the TiCr.  This rod will probably better match your distance expectations eventually if you learn it's tricks.  Just my two cents....

A 10wt line should weigh 280 grains at 30’ (minus the 6-12” level tip).  Putting an 11 wt line on a moderate action rod, as you have done, will slow it down….as you have experienced.  

Fighting wind by escalating line weights  does not work as well as intuition would suggest.  Heavier lines are harder to control ( for most of us) and harder to accelerate.  Both cost the caster line speed which in turn partly negates the advantage the higher mass to surface area ratio of the heavier line.  

12 mins ago, numbskull said:

A 10wt line should weigh 280 grains at 30’ (minus the 6-12” level tip).  Putting an 11 wt line on a moderate action rod, as you have done, will slow it down….as you have experienced.  

Fighting wind by escalating line weights  does not work as well as intuition would suggest.  Heavier lines are harder to control ( for most of us) and harder to accelerate.  Both cost the caster line speed which in turn partly negates the advantage the higher mass to surface area ratio of the heavier line.  

The rod indicates a grain window of 300-400 grains. So I am a little up in the air about what line it reall ought to be using. 

The rod is made on a tfo mangrove 10wt blank, which most people indicate they like using true weight or half size heavy line. However tfo says 3-400, and I have found a couple reviews saying the rod casts best bwtween 375-400 grains.

So I am a little confused. 

We all are confused nowadays about rod and line ratings.

I'm not even sure what a "grain window" is but I'd assume it is total head weight not the aftma 30' standard.  A true to weight 10wt line might have a 40' head that weighs 280gr at 30' but 380gr or more at 40'.  Any 10wt rod will handle this fine (the rod design and rating takes this into account).  But put an 11wt on it with the same taper and the total head may now weigh 450gr.  The 10wt can still cast this but it will bog down some doing so and therefore generate a lower line speed.  A good caster can compensate for this with a faster haul but the timing and tracking/trajectory need to be perfect.   

I'd suggest you borrow a true to weight 10wt line with a 40ft head and test it on your rod before you go heavier.  Any reputable 10wt (and the Mangrove certainly is) will easily throw that line 90 feet. If it doesn't then the issue is the caster not the rod.....and the best solution is caster improvement not a heavier line.  

Edited by numbskull

TFO Esox rods are now discontinued (replaced with the Big Fly series), but when they were on offer the recommendations were as follows:

Lines:  Airflo Depthfinder, and Scientific Anglers Streamer Express.  350g is the midpoint of the 10wt rod's rating:

TF 10 90 4
300 - 400
9'0
--
TF 12 90 4
400 - 500
9'0
--