luckyOC

Delmarva Fishin' Reports - Winter 2021-22

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

As always, this is the place for your reports... as little or as much detail as you care to share, with hopefully a good bit less focus posted on exact spots, times, and locations. Any and all word from the local waters welcome here, and "no fish" reports are welcome as well; always good to have gotten out there at least, wasn't it? 

;)

... late post, been busy not fishing :eek:.  Went ahead and started the annual 'winter' reports thread, hope we have some fish going into to colder time of the year.

Fished Sunday on AI/VA.  Great day fishing with my brother.  No fish, felt like Blues were out there with a few bites taken out of the Bunker chunks.  I was treated pretty bad by a park ranger while I was packing up to leave.  I don't think I'll ever go back there.

3 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Fished Sunday on AI/VA.  Great day fishing with my brother.  No fish, felt like Blues were out there with a few bites taken out of the Bunker chunks.  I was treated pretty bad by a park ranger while I was packing up to leave.  I don't think I'll ever go back there.

Fished the back bay on saturday. Water on the surf looks fishy if you can throw something far enough without coming back at you. My son hooked a 5" flounder after hours of trying. 

Sorry for your bad experience but don't let him ruin that place for you. I haven't gotten sour experience yet, most we're friendly and tell you what you don't know to enjoy the place even more.

Spent afternoon on 3r. Terrific afternoon but skunked. Did see one person land what I would guess was a puppy drum as I drove by. Lots of vehicles on north end of 3R but no idea how they did

18 hours ago, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Was it an actual park ranger or the conservation officer or that terrible Fish and Wildlife Officer that had a stent there (I don't know if he's still there)? Too many different entities involved at on AIVA.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, rwilliamsjr26 said:

Could you tell us what happened between you and the ranger?. Why was he rude? I have fished A.I.Va for years and never had a problem with the rangers or park staff. Sounds like you ran into one with a bad hair day.

I passed by a ranger as I was driving off AIVA approaching the OSV entrance.  He was facing south and as soon as I passed, he whipped his truck around followed me off the beach and hit the lights once we were on the parking lot.  I hopped out thinking maybe he was going to tell me my rod rack was open, but he yelled "stay in your vehicle" and put his hand on his gun like it was a traffic stop in Baltimore City for a violent gang member.  Claimed he didn't see my OSV sticker because of glare. That was my only negative experience at AIVA.

I saw the guy a couple years later when they were closing down the beach for a rocket launch.  He was friendly that time.

On 11/9/2021 at 11:28 AM, rwilliamsjr26 said:

I was treated pretty bad by a park ranger while I was packing up to leave.  I don't think I'll ever go back there.

That really sucks. I hope you reported it to someone. I'm sure the NP doesn't want rogue rangers running off law-abiding citizens.

I'm interested in hearing what happened if you're comfortable sharing. Maybe we could all learn or be aware of something to avoid in the future.  In my negative encounter, i learned to treat traffic stops on the beach just like any other in town and remain in my vehicle.  

I've been going to AI Md. since I was young and have never had a really bad encounter with the ranger / law enforcement.  I have heard some tales , but in my experience they were always fair and even gave me the benefit of the doubt when I had overstepped the boundaries.  Like the time when I was much younger that I drove north off the orv zone and missed the entrance (blowout low tide) and rode through the state park all the way up the beach until I was almost at the inlet.  They came after me with lights flashing, but let me go unticketed. 

Edited by Steve Coleman

2 hours ago, Steve Coleman said:

I've been going to AI Md. since I was young and have never had a really bad encounter with the ranger / law enforcement.  I have heard some tales , but in my experience they were always fair and even gave me the benefit of the doubt when I had overstepped the boundaries.  Like the time when I was much younger that I drove north off the orv zone and missed the entrance (blowout low tide) and rode through the state park all the way up the beach until I was almost at the inlet.  They came after me with lights flashing, but let me go unticketed. 

What Steve forgot to add is that is where the nude beach was for years. Jus sayin

I remember when ranger Dave Rapp was all the time chasing those folks down.  If people do not want to wear clothes OK by me.

2 hours ago, Critter Gitter said:

What Steve forgot to add is that is where the nude beach was for years. Jus sayin

I remember when ranger Dave Rapp was all the time chasing those folks down.  If people do not want to wear clothes OK by me.

Yeah.. ok. Now we know why he did it. Must be some great fishing up there.. or sight's to be seen. 

Edited by 7nBait

That is a heck of a drive to the inlet from the OSV ramp.  When we were shipwrecked after a hurricane the boat washed up on the state side not far from the inlet and we had to get special permission to take a trailer down and get the boat.