Sudsy

Thinking about getting a 308 cal AR

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

I know my way around bolt action, lever action, and pump, but I know nothing about the AR platform, seriously like nothing, never even shot an AR.

I'd like something that can take a hog out to 200+ yards

I'd prefer 308 because I already reload for it and have plenty of supplies

What do I need to know ? Is this something I might want to build? 

What is this upper and lower stuff? 

I know I need to register the lower but what makes up the lower, and the upper?

What companies make good parts, which ones should I avoid

I know so little about this that I'm having trouble figuring out what questions to ask

I have a DPMS Hunter with a Vortex 1-6 on it and wouldn't hesitate to shoot a hog at 200 yards.   

I'd look around for a used one before building one.     Stores are starting get some used clean weapons back in stock again.

A friend of mine did a hog hunt last spring and it was all at night. 

They had some night vision gizmo that attached to the scope but he said it was awkward to use. 

He did buy a proper night scope for future trips. 

I'm looking to do the exact same thing with my next build, either a 308 or an 18"/20" in 556.

My 2 cents. Build it, you'll get exactly what you want, save money if you take your time to source parts and look for sales and you'll have a rifle that is distinctly yours.  AR style builds are easy and don't require much in the way of specialty tools or skill. Utube offers a wealth of advice.. Just be aware that 308 parts are selling for considerably more than their 556/223 counterparts right now.

The actual stripped lower reciever is the only controlled part of your rifle. If you were to build from an 80% lower even that becomes realistically irrelevant. A stripped lower will require a lower parts kit, buffer, stock and fire control group. The upper will need the reciever, barrel, bolt, charging handle, rail, etc. All these parts should be fairly easy to source if you do some digging online. You can also buy either already assembled lowers or uppers depending on how in depth you want to get with your build.

Companies like Areo Precision, BCM, Brownells make some nice products, with Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, Geissele, KAC on the Gucci side.

If you plan to hunt at night and depending on how much $$$ you have to play around with a set of night vision tubes and an IR Lazer would be an excellent investment. 

Edited by Sandbar1

1 hour ago, Kml said:

I have always had thing for a Ruger Mini 14 in .308 for a sporty rifle. 

Agreed but the prices on those have gone through the roof

Makes me wish I hadn't sold my 223 (25 years ago)

1 min ago, Sandbar1 said:

A stripped lower will require a lower parts kit, buffer, stock and fire control group. The upper will need the reciever, barrel, bolt, charging handle, rail, etc. All these parts should be fairly easy to source if you do some digging online. You can also buy either already assembled lowers or uppers depending on how in depth you want to get with your build.

Companies like Areo Precision, BCM, Brownells make some nice products, with Daniel Defense, Colt, LMT, Geissele, KAC on the Gucci side.

So I was talking to Jimmy about this and he said that you have to be careful with an AR10 build much more than with an AR15 build because some companies parts do not work well with other companies parts far more often then with the AR15.

Reminds me a computer build I did a long time ago. Went crazy trying to figure out why the machine was intermittently doing odd things. Turned out the memory chips, which were the right ones for the machine didn't like the processor I put on the motherboard - they should have worked fine together, but they didn't. No apparent reason, just a glitch that very few people knew about.

I'm very afraid of falling down that rabbit hole here

Since you're new to this platform. Buy a complete gun. Your budget will narrow your choices.  You can always add, swap, remove parts down the road   ARs are Legos for us.  Lol. 

AR-10 builds are a bit trickier than AR-15 builds as there are some differences in the upper/lower mating between vendors.

I'd buy the lower first and make sure I could either check the upper with the lower if buying in person or make sure you can return the upper if there is a fit problem.

Buying both from the same mfg helps but can limit your options.

Bear Creek Arsenal is a good source for both AR-15 and AR-10 uppers.

They also offer a side bolt pull upper.  An alternative to the standard T handle of a true AR.

Like others have said AR10’s can be finicky since they are not made to be mil spec. I would buy a complete rifle from a reputable builder who will stand behind it in case it needs to be sent back for an issue. I would not build one from scratch. If you need to build one, go with an AR15 in another caliber. .308 is only AR10

On 11/8/2021 at 5:24 PM, Sudsy said:

So I was talking to Jimmy about this and he said that you have to be careful with an AR10 build much more than with an AR15 build because some companies parts do not work well with other companies parts far more often then with the AR15.

Reminds me a computer build I did a long time ago. Went crazy trying to figure out why the machine was intermittently doing odd things. Turned out the memory chips, which were the right ones for the machine didn't like the processor I put on the motherboard - they should have worked fine together, but they didn't. No apparent reason, just a glitch that very few people knew about.

I'm very afraid of falling down that rabbit hole here

There is no standard pattern for the .308 AR's like there is for the 5.56.

There are basically two types of .308 builds - DPMS compatible and other (like Knight's SR25).

I would buy a complete rifle if you don't want to deal with the hassle of building your own.

Understand that it's going to be a heavier platform than your typical 5.56 gas gun.  Everything is heavier - the ammo is heavier, the magnified scopes you will use will be heavier etc.

Just about every major manufacturer makes one.  Some are tack-drivers.  Some brands are not.  What you spend is going to be dictated by many things, including how accurate you want it to be.

The nice thing about owning a .308 sized lower receiver group is that you can easily plop on an upper like 6.5 creedmoor - provided the upper is compatible with the lower.