Rod Recommendations

Rate this topic

The TideRunner

20 hours ago, PeterO said:

All the time fishing for cod/pollock

That’s what it seems like.

And he never mentioned the a target species.

Working 60 hours a week doesn't allow mw a whole lot of time to get back on here, So I'm here and I'll add more to my search.

Target species...Any. There are days fishing the Race off New London when no matter the species, you just can't hit bottom. Fished there a couple of weeks ago for BSB in just around 150 ft. . As soon as bait hit bottom the fish were on. Hard part was hitting bottom. Moon tides confluence of river currents, and a running tide. Started with 10oz no go. I was around CT bait hit bottom somewhere around Jersey. Up to 12oz. A little better, And catching some. Went to 14oz and finally found bottom, but with a buttload of 60lb braid let out. Didn't carry any 16oz as I didn't think I'd need them. 

I pour my own up to 34 oz so supply is not an issue. I have run into the same problems diamond jigging with blues and stripers. Start with 10, and find myself going right to 14 some days. And one time last season after a nor'easter. 16 didn't cut it at all. Called it a day.

Haven't fished GOM in years, but 16 to 20oz was normal back them Vik-e jigs, or clams. Still have some 24 oz Norway jigs. 

Wanting to get back into cod fishing again as well. Most likely off Block or Coxes. The rods I have now can easily handle the heavy stuff, but I'd like to lighten up some.

Not sure if what I'm looking for can handle everything. But still hoping. Thinking this just might do the job. Thoughts?

Model
TD Code
Description Length Power Action Line Rating Lure Rating Max Drag Guides Weight Price
BD7.5M
JWD-0001
Black Demon Series Conventional Rod 7' 5'' Medium Fast 20-40lb 2-10oz 15lb 9 + tip 11.5oz $249.00 USD