theshadow

Star rod carboloy guide replacement.Can't get the finish off!!!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Got a Star Rod dropped off to replace the butt guide that cracked.Been busting my butt trying to remove the finish.Got the guide off finally but the finish is like iron.This is the toughest finish I've ever had to deal with..The rod is a Delux DLX80WL E-Glass rated for 30-60# line.

Al Goldberg are you out there!!!!

Star Rods are a PITA as they coat the entire rod after it is wrapped. Not sure what they use for epoxy but yes it’s hard as a rock.

1 hour ago, LowEnd said:

Star Rods are a PITA as they coat the entire rod after it is wrapped. Not sure what they use for epoxy but yes it’s hard as a rock.

This one has the finish ending at the edge of the underwrap.Also,the guide wrap seems to have a black sort of sealer over the thread.Then the finish.:eek:

Masking Tape off each end of the guide wrap.

Slowly heat the each side of the wrap just to soften the finish then make a shallow cut with a new razor blade or exacto blade. Gently heat the cut and peel off the the guide  wrap.

Gently heat any residual finish built up under the guide foot then slice or peel off. Sand the area smooth with 400 grit and tack off.  You should be able to save the under wrap.  If not proceed to remove the under wrap in the same way.

Now wrap on the guide.  Align the guide, remove the tape and apply the finish.

39 mins ago, Al Goldberg said:

Masking Tape off each end of the guide wrap.

Slowly heat the each side of the wrap just to soften the finish then make a shallow cut with a new razor blade or exacto blade. Gently heat the cut and peel off the the guide  wrap.

Gently heat any residual finish built up under the guide foot then slice or peel off. Sand the area smooth with 400 grit and tack off.  You should be able to save the under wrap.  If not proceed to remove the under wrap in the same way.

Now wrap on the guide.  Align the guide, remove the tape and apply the finish.

In heating.Thats my scary part.Using an alcohol lamp? Or my torch[propane] with the wide attachment to disperse the flame on low?

I use a heat gun to soften finish and a propane torch for removing any micro bubbles when applying finish. 

I do not use an alcohol lamp for safety reasons.

Ahhhhh a heat gun!!!!  Duh! :banghd::howdy: Thank You Al and 777.To the hardware store tomorrow.I wonder what that finish really is.Man......it's tough.

On 11/7/2021 at 0:37 PM, Al Goldberg said:

I use a heat gun to soften finish and a propane torch for removing any micro bubbles when applying finish. 

I do not use an alcohol lamp for safety reasons.

Forgot to say thanks again Al.Also to the other posters.I got a variable temp. Wagner heat gun at Cheapo Depot last week and it worked like a charm.:howdy: A little practice on a junk rod left at the shop for parts. Thanks again.