Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
John D

Dumb question--but have to ask

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

OK,

On thursday I plan on taking out some people(yes, by boat) striper fishing for the first time. I know a spot that has been producing on the outgoing, even during the daylight hours(actually, the biggest fish have come out of there during the day).

Fri is the full moon. Everything that has been posted re: the negative affects of the full moon have invloved night fishing, predominantly with artificials. My question is, is there also a noticeable dropoff in fishing a day before the full moon during the DAY and with BAIT? I'll be fishing by boat tomorrow and can't remember fishing by day during the full moon time by boat(I'm usually a night fisherman)

Thanks,

John D

I have never fished for Stripers in the daytime this time of year, but have noticed fluking is usually off just prior to and during a full moon. My Dad has been a daytime boat/bait fisherman forever and he and his pals will not wet a line on the full moon. But then again they are retired and get to pick & choose their days. For me opportunities to fish are too few, so if I get good weather I'll usually go for it.

Good Luck

JohnD, all the data I've seen from our club shows that indeed, the full moon and bait have produced some of the biggest critters! It's the scourge of the full moon on the pluggers that is the talk of the town, hit or miss, usually miss on the full moon when it's showing and you're using lures.

But for bait, the biggest fish of the month will often come the period of 1-3 days prior and 1-3 days after the full moon on bait. On the date of the actual full moon, the numbers appear off a bit from the prime 3 days prior/after but are still better than average opportunities for LARGE with bait.

Don't sweat it, go forth in confidence, you will most likely be rewarded with some memorable opportunities on the day prior to the full moon, the increase in tidal flow will get the big ones moving!

TimS

Boat guys I know love the moon. Fish eels in deep rips. When I fish the surf during the bright moon I never forget my eels (the great equalizer).

Dennis Z.

Thanks guys. I just wanted to make sure I shouldn't consider moving the day to early next week. Its 2 of my friends first time fishing for stripers and I want to make sure the conditions aren't considered disasterous. Either way, I have 20 days vacation time to use up before I leave my current judicial clerkship for a firm in September smile.gif

John D

[This message has been edited by John D (edited 06-13-2000).]

John D

If any concoqince I had a trip schedule to go out sunday but was cancelled last minute by the cpt frown.gif(

Was told that the fishing dropped off conciderable in the last few days.

Also heard that the place to be if at all was near great kills as far as boats go..

A friend was out monday and told me the schools of bunker were very close to great kills harbor, where the bunker boats COULDN'T get to them biggrin.gif

Walt

------------------

Swfly99@cs.com

SwFly:

Thanks for the reply, but I think your Capt may have mislead you. I was out fri from 5pm-12am and absolutely crushed the bass up to 30# in the bay "near" Flynn's Knoll(a little north of the tip of Sandy Hook). The fishing has been absolutely torrid there for the past 3 weeks. The reason I put up the post was that the honey hole I fish is in a very high current area on the outgoing--and the full moon will only increase that affect. I was wondering if the "fish turn off during the full moon" phenomenon applies to baitslingers during the day as well. (I usually fish the night tides).

Great Kills holds bunker throughout the summer. Unfortunately, that area has died out considerably over the past few weeks. Like clockwork, every spring the action starts out in the western portions of the bay in April and slowly but surely shifts eastward towards June.

John D