bkupmstr

Lithium 24volt charging

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

On to my next step of my riptide terrova install

 

anyone doing 24 volt lithium charging?

trying to narrow down my charger for the 24 volt battery i purchased

 

most charging will not be done on the boat but in my garage

 

What is everyone using? and advice?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Surfinator said:

I've been interested in trying lithium myself. Right now Im running dual Interstate batteries and those things are heavy.

Thanks surf.

Ive done my research on the lithium batteries and there are still some concerns about longevity

 

What is your setup? Boat, trolling motor, usage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, bkupmstr said:

Thanks surf.

Ive done my research on the lithium batteries and there are still some concerns about longevity

 

What is your setup? Boat, trolling motor, usage?

80lb Minnkota I-Pilot 

16' Lund

I use it to control drifts and throwing plugs against sod banks. I can fish all day and only use 1/2 capacity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Eric_S said:

Why didn't you go with the Ionic charger if you bought the Ionic battery? 

I was looking for something with some more display and intelligence

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check out Victron Energy.

They have a number of chargers.  Some with bluetooth interfaces to monitor charging.

The also make DC to DC convertors which can be used to adapt the boat alternator to lithium batteries to charge while the boat engine runs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2021 at 10:11 AM, bkupmstr said:

Thanks surf.

Ive done my research on the lithium batteries and there are still some concerns about longevity

 

What is your setup? Boat, trolling motor, usage?

Longevity , what about fire hazard? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mentioned on an alternate thread that I was using the Dakota Charger that came with my Dakota 24V... not impressed at all with the charger although the price was right.  It does not have an auto-shutoff so a day after using the boat (it is in a slip) I have to truck over there and unplug it.  The information I read and got from the installer (who very much knows what he is talking about) says there is not fire hazard to speak of because ot the power management system built into the Lithium batteries, but running the charger non-stop on a fully charged battery can impact the life of the battery... and at almost a G a pop... that is an issue.  The Dakota comes with an 11 year warranty but who wants to go down that road....

 

Will most likely replace it with a "smarter" charger next year after recovering from the cost of the battery and the trolling motor and the install....

Edited by fmtuna

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/17/2021 at 7:27 AM, Steve_in_PA said:

Check out Victron Energy.

They have a number of chargers.  Some with bluetooth interfaces to monitor charging.

The also make DC to DC convertors which can be used to adapt the boat alternator to lithium batteries to charge while the boat engine runs.

I’m going with the Victron, as soon as i get the correct voltage :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, fmtuna said:

I mentioned on an alternate thread that I was using the Dakota Charger that came with my Dakota 24V... not impressed at all with the charger although the price was right.  It does not have an auto-shutoff so a day after using the boat (it is in a slip) I have to truck over there and unplug it.  The information I read and got from the installer (who very much knows what he is talking about) says there is not fire hazard to speak of because ot the power management system built into the Lithium batteries, but running the charger non-stop on a fully charged battery can impact the life of the battery... and at almost a G a pop... that is an issue.  The Dakota comes with an 11 year warranty but who wants to go down that road....

 

Will most likely replace it with a "smarter" charger next year after recovering from the cost of the battery and the trolling motor and the install....

I’ve checked around with a few folks in the know and selecting a good charger seems to be at least as important as the battery. Charging lithium is a whole new game. Especially with extreme temperature swings.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, bkupmstr said:

I’ve checked around with a few folks in the know and selecting a good charger seems to be at least as important as the battery. Charging lithium is a whole new game. Especially with extreme temperature swings.

BTW I have the same setup as you except different battery  24V terranova.... ran it for about 4 hours the other day.... 2 hours against current casting to sodbanks, 2 hours togging on top of a piece of structure for the last 2 hours of the tide... when I was done I had 70% left... that doesn't suck...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 mins ago, fmtuna said:

BTW I have the same setup as you except different battery  24V terranova.... ran it for about 4 hours the other day.... 2 hours against current casting to sodbanks, 2 hours togging on top of a piece of structure for the last 2 hours of the tide... when I was done I had 70% left... that doesn't suck...

What boat are you running your setup on? Mine is a 21’ Key west

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 mins ago, bkupmstr said:

What boat are you running your setup on? Mine is a 21’ Key west

Just found that i asked and you answered that question already

 

 Can’t wait until spring to launch and try my setup.

 

my creek might just be a good spot to try it out first i guess?
 

Just sent my incorrect charger back and that was a nice screw up.

cost ~ 120 with free shipping but i ordered the 12 volt instead of the 24.

they’re hitting me with a 15% restocking fee and it cost me 28 to ship it back… argh!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.