SurfcasterJim

Better Soft Plastic rigging with Low Profile Zip Tie

Rate this topic

47 posts in this topic

I found a better solution for rigging my soft plastics. Figured I'd share it here:

Using a Zip Tie on your soft plastics will help increase the lifespan of your soft plastics from ripping/tearing/etc when catching fish.

Problem: The zip ties is that they would throw off the symmetry of the soft plastic and would effect how the soft plastic moved/swam through the water.

IMG_1114.jpg.ac856962b38e52e63c15fd8aeddf9f46.jpgIMG_1115.jpg.4a53f0ece645ec5beaf128e4dac50886.jpg

Solution:  Low profile Zip Ties. For the longest time I couldn't find a 4 inch low profile zip tie. Now its perfectly symmetrical.

IMG_1104.jpg.f2cd4e85984c22d56252ecf299c8b89e.jpgIMG_1105.jpg.21f451e41415748f550035af37b51e83.jpg

Cobra® Low Profile Zip Tie Mini - 18lb

I'm in no way affiliated with Cobra. I am just posting the link cause 4inch low profile zip ties are not as easy to find.

Edited by SurfcasterJim

3 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

$8.63 shipping for zip ties is a deal breaker!

Eh, not for me. I'd rather it work. To each his own i guess

EDIT: Agreed they are expensive tho. Hoping to find another solution but for now :)

Edited by SurfcasterJim

Just now, SurfcasterJim said:

Eh, not for me. I'd rather it work. To each his own i guess

Changing the profile in that small of a way couldn't make too much difference in swim can it? I use traditional zip ties and never saw any difference in action from no zip. I acclimate the lock ratchet on the bottom though. Maybe I just didn't notice? $8.63 shipping for a $4.99 product seems excessive, I will look for them in Ace, HD, or Lowe life, worth a try... I do like the look better.

1 min ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

Changing the profile in that small of a way couldn't make too much difference in swim can it? I use traditional zip ties and never saw any difference in action from no zip. I acclimate the lock ratchet on the bottom though. Maybe I just didn't notice? $8.63 shipping for a $4.99 product seems excessive, I will look for them in Ace, HD, or Lowe life, worth a try... I do like the look better.

"Lowe Life" lmao

Yeah for me i def noticed a difference on the smaller plastics. I started noticing when i didnt have ones zip tied at night that i was catching fish on them, and not on the others. Waited till morning and noticed a slight zig-zig in the motion when comparing them. Thus the search for a better solution. So now even on the larger plastics this wont be a problem

3 mins ago, Mr. Bigdeal said:

Home Depot.....Electrical Dept. has the small ones I use on jigs.

Home depot only carried the 8 inch ones for me. Maybe just be local to me...but i couldnt find the 4 inch

9 mins ago, hhager23 said:

Why not use the orthodontic bands for braces? $4 for 300 or so. 

Dental 5.0 oz CLEAR ORTHODONTIC LATEX ELASTICS RUBBER ...

I thought of using rubber bands like that as well, thicker ones, but the hard plastic of the zip tie is what allows it to endure the teething from stripers, which would otherwise tear the rubber band as well.

Everyone's gonna do what they want and that's what's great about America.

Have fun with your zip ties.  

Me....I like to make molds and pour my own plastics....as many as I want in any color or size.

Even before doing this crafting,

To be honest I've never felt the need to use a zip tie.

6 mins ago, SurfcasterJim said:

I thought of using rubber bands like that as well, thicker ones, but the hard plastic of the zip tie is what allows it to endure the teething from stripers, which would otherwise tear the rubber band as well.

With my luck at that point they would have trashed my plastic as well.